So many Gay men. Watch

esmaraldo
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Er. I can see that this is a very serious thread.

I seem to have a more sensitive "gaydar" for men than women, or perhpas it's because there are more gay men out there so I spot more gay men? I don't know.

But the world is not black and white any more than it is gay or straight; there are so many shades of grey. So you will probably find that most people are gay to some extent, but because of their enviorment, how they are percieved to think, and how they perceive their own roles within society, a lot of people will never expresse their gay traits.

There are probably less gay women because sexuality for women is less ruled by dicks.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it's quite funny how lesbians often get shafted (bwahaha not literally of course) because people don't think of lesbians in the same way as gay men. People barely acknowledge they exist because they can't imagine how sex can work without a penis, and of course there's nothing more to homosexuality than sex:rolleyes:. Maybe you just think there's less lesbians because they don't get as much attention in the media?
Nonsmoking
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by -1984-)
But when we look at Ancient Greece, and the Classical era, along with other ancient civilizations, we see that bisexuality among men was very common indeed. I blame social pressures.
Yes, but they were also all pedophiles...
Invocation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i cant tell lesbians apart from normal women in general. unless they have a shaved head, and burp, and mistake for being a guy etc etc
supertramp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i cant tell lesbians apart from normal women in general.
There's almost always a little something that gives them away. Hard to explain, but it's usually there if you look hard enough.

I agree with Psyk about the media, lesbians are almost completely overlooked. I went to Soho pride recently and there were about 10 men to every woman and hardly any literature/freebies geered towards lesbians, it was all towards gay men. They tried to offer me condoms about 5 times, and I wasn't particularly impressed, I was even wearing a rainbow necklace and they still thought I was a fag hag or something.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
On the other hand, how about "when gay men come out all their friends are shocked and scared because men are generally more homophobic than women so it's a big deal and when lesbians come out no one really cares because it's perfectly normal"?

(Original post by shakira123)
I agree.... so many gay men... you cant tell whos gay and whos not in this country..... they should make it illegal like other countries do!
I love you.

(Original post by Nonsmoking)
Yes, but they were also all pedophiles...
Yep. So? It was morally ok at that time.

(Original post by supertramp)
There's almost always a little something that gives them away. Hard to explain, but it's usually there if you look hard enough.
The fact that they **** other women?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Phoenix Entertainment Factory - Est. 1986)
what and absloutly stupid thing to say you iggnorant idiot!
Calm down. No one reeeally cares about what such people have to say anyway. Least of all me, and I'm gay. :p:
Pseudomuse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i found though, there are more bisexual females then males.
Pseudomuse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Calm down. No one reeeally cares about what such people have to say anyway. Least of all me, and I'm gay. :p:
sorry but it winds me up!
Montrose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think that generally, gay men are perhaps more inclined to talk about it than women. I know more lesbians than I do gay men, but you wouldn't really know unless you asked them or saw them with their girlfriend. Gender barriers are blurred, but only in one way. If you see a woman wearing tracksuit bottoms and sports shirt (traditional 'lesbians are butch view') you would not necessarily say they are a lesbian, but see a bloke with a high pitched voice and carefully pruned appearance and you would say they were gay.

So the appearance that there are more gay men may simply be that we have accepted that women don't have to be effeminate to be heterosexual?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Alex Mann)
I think that generally, gay men are perhaps more inclined to talk about it than women. I know more lesbians than I do gay men, but you wouldn't really know unless you asked them or saw them with their girlfriend. Gender barriers are blurred, but only in one way. If you see a woman wearing tracksuit bottoms and sports shirt (traditional 'lesbians are butch view') you would not necessarily say they are a lesbian, but see a bloke with a high pitched voice and carefully pruned appearance and you would say they were gay.

So the appearance that there are more gay men may simply be that we have accepted that women don't have to be effeminate to be heterosexual?
Definition of effeminate? :p:

Yeah, this is also partly what I said (that men make more of a big deal out of it), but good point.
Montrose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From dictionary.com

1. Having qualities or characteristics more often associated with women than men. Helpful.........
2. Characterized by weakness and excessive refinement.

Skirt wearing, make up, carefully pruned, high pitched voice, excessive sympathising etc etc would be my guess.
db
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Phoenix Entertainment Factory - Est. 1986)
i found though, there are more bisexual females then males.
I find that there are more 'bisexual' females than males
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pocoyo)
Is it just me or are there more Gay people (Men i mean) Than lesbian.
Is this because its harder for girls to come out???
Hard to tell as there are many uncertainties in such surveys, but the ones I have heard about is that there are slightly more gay men than lesbian wommen ( 6% as compared to 4% ). It should however be mentiond that these surveys tend to differ in result with several percentage points, with some reporting figures as low as 1% and others figures as high as 10%. Furthermore, these figures sometimes do not include those who define as bisexual and some of them don't even take difference into consideration. Dunno if this is helpful in any way...
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by devilbunny)
I find that there are more 'bisexual' females than males
Not surprising as it is generally more socially acceptable for girls to be lesbian than men to be gay. Suposedly the direct consequence would be that there are a lot more closeted bisexual males than women.
Montrose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is it? I know men often say they find lesbians attractive (don't see it myself) so maybe that's one reason they would be more open. But I myself have never met anyone who objects to homosexuality amongst males. Maybe I am sheltered, but if anything, these days having a gay friend is seen as being 'cool'?
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is it? I know men often say they find lesbians attractive (don't see it myself) so maybe that's one reason they would be more open. But I myself have never met anyone who objects to homosexuality amongst males. Maybe I am sheltered, but if anything, these days having a gay friend is seen as being 'cool'?
Where on earth did you go to school? Lets put it this way. Apparently the number of gay men is somewhere between 3-10%, not counting bisexuals. At my old school, we were several hundred students, and I don't know of a single guy who was openly gay or bisexual. Yea, maybe you are considered cool if you have a gay friend, but it certainly isn't fun being that gay friend.
esmaraldo
Report 12 years ago
I agree with that in some aspects, as a straight friend of mine said that she'd love to have a gay friend (for their fashion sense or whatever) but would have felt extremely uncomfortable if they crushed on her.

Although similarly I've had people who went: "Ewww, you hang around with gay people, are you gay?". Because my friend was obviously gay, and I wasn't.

And there are comments on "lipstick lesbians" etc, as if it's some sort of life style. Yes, there are parts of the community that do comform in someway to a stereotype, but really every one is individual and gay people are more than gay, just as straight people are more than just straight. But I guess the "gay image" is being exploited in the media because it is new, now that most people's perception of it have shifted to positive.
slk999
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i think there is still a stigma attached to being 'gay', but being 'bisexual' in many cultures these days is really considered par for the course, or isn't shunned upon as much. i've heard of the 'bisexual chic' being referred to.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cielo)
i think there is still a stigma attached to being 'gay', but being 'bisexual' in many cultures these days is really considered par for the course, or isn't shunned upon as much. i've heard of the 'bisexual chic' being referred to.
I some ways yes, in some ways no. The main thing you face as bi is when people don't beleive you. It is assumed your just confused or that you're trying to gain attention ( the latter is probably more a problem the wommen face as the stigma gay men are faced with sort of makes such allegations towards men rather rediculous ). Additionally you get people who are convinced you're really gay butjust in denial. Heck, search this forums for "bisexual" if you want, you will see exactly what I mean.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
29.03%
No - I got the required grades (109)
58.6%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise