You may not need a TV License in University! Watch

joeybee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by neKa)
£130 is 13,000 penny sweets. I know which I'd rather spend my money on.

lol, takes me back to when i used to buy a fivers worth of 20p lollipop's from the offliscence after school....what was i thinking?!
Haha, you'd have no teeth when you got to uni :p:
im_smartypants
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by neKa)
Wrong. They have no right to enter your private property regardless of what their 'magic scanners' tell them. They're not law enforcers.
They can get a warrant, but it is highly unlikely because the judge will not give them one as they do not see fit that they have considerable evidence a law is being broken, and most of the time isnt worth it.
For god sake, what proof do you need about the scanners? I've seen the things and I've seen them work. Its simple technology that most people could throw together with a soldering iron and some basic electronics components found in any GCSE Electronics class.
The judges do give them. What evidence do you have to say otherwise? Like it says on the licensing website, thousands of people are caught every day. Do you think they all give entry? If it was as simple as you suggest by not letting them in then everyone would do it.
The penalty is £1000. That makes it worth while them getting the warrant. Its a law and if they have any evidence to suggest you are breaking it the judge would have no reason to refuse the warrant
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do I need a licence?

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

Taken from
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/informa...ndex.jsp#link1

So yes you do need a TV license. As for finding out if you are receiving a TV signal they can do that now and know if you have a means of doing so.

I would also think that Unis will welcome them with open arms to come and look. Have you not seen the TV ads about this?
E36
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im not taking a TV anyway :p:

But about the warrent, does it need to have your room exactly on it, or does just the hall count?

Eg. Just FLAT BLOCK ONE

or 3C FLAT BLOCK ONE
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by MissHero)
Your laptop is not soley powered by batteries anyway, you have to charge it up from the mains.
You have to charge any battery, you eejit. :p:

(Original post by joeybee)
Just pay for the liscence, it's only 130 quid.
Only?! That equates to a fair amount of fun for me.

But even so, it's not amazingly expensive, would it be worth going to court or paying a 1000 pound fine?
1. No one in the history of time has ever been fined anything near that for not having a TV licence.

2. They're hardly going to find students any substantial sum when people who assault and breach the peace are fined amounts like £50 to be paid at a rate of £1 a week and such nonsense.

(Original post by neKa)
Yeah I thought that, they're not state owned so I didn't see how they can enforce it as a law.
They are delegated the powers given to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport under the Wireless Telegraphy Act etc. They can't enforce laws, but it is still an offence to evade.

(Original post by im_smartypants)
For god sake, what proof do you need about the scanners? I've seen the things and I've seen them work. Its simple technology that most people could throw together with a soldering iron and some basic electronics components found in any GCSE Electronics class.
Yes, but they'd be far from accurate in any large area, would require to be fairly close to the device and would detect a million other innocent things - such as CRT monitors and TVs used solely for games etc.

It's not cost effective and to be honest, I don't think you ever have seem one work.

Either way, no evidence from any sort of television detector has ever been presented in a British court. So it's fair to ignore them as irrelevent.

The judges do give them. What evidence do you have to say otherwise? Like it says on the licensing website, thousands of people are caught every day. Do you think they all give entry? If it was as simple as you suggest by not letting them in then everyone would do it.
Feel free to make a data protection request to the BBC - you'll find that the vast, vast majority of people do confess or allow entry quite simply because they build TVL up as some sort of pseudo-authority. People do tend to talk to people who turn up at their doorstep.

The rest are caught out by the TVL people hearing the telly from outside or perhaps seeing it through a window. Most confess anyway and plead guilty, then it's sentenced at the court without them needing to show up, they get a small fine and go on their way.

The penalty is £1000. That makes it worth while them getting the warrant. Its a law and if they have any evidence to suggest you are breaking it the judge would have no reason to refuse the warrant
The maximum penalty. For a normal person, (ie one with a job etc) it would be more like 100-200, plus 70 quid court costs.

The main idea here is to prevent them getting evidence you are breaking the law anyway.

Anyway, this experience all comes from three years of evasion. The TVL people hate me and do annoy me a bit, but all the same they can never catch me or find any evidence I'm evading - so, well, I'm fine.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by E36)
Im not taking a TV anyway :p:

But about the warrent, does it need to have your room exactly on it, or does just the hall count?

Eg. Just FLAT BLOCK ONE

or 3C FLAT BLOCK ONE
A warrant has to be specified in terms of one residence, so in effect it would only be granted for an individual room, but that would include any communal areas they had access to by virtue of their tenancy.
loopymeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So, being that I'm only taking a simple DVD player (not recorder), and linking it up to a set of speakers and old PC monitor, I shouldn't have to pay for a licence, since I won't be able to receive or record any signals. Just play DVDs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.52%
No (286)
74.48%

Watched Threads