St. Catherine's Historians Watch

sokas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
neighbours has a large following after lunch!
sokas
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh and college parents are there to help you settle in, give you answers to questions etc. Basically someone older that does your subject who has married someone else doing a different subject, normally each couple get 2 children, hence brothers/sisters... you should get letters from them in your freshers pack
mikeyT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by imageofreality)
lol yeh ace!!thanks! college kids and parents..?? what it this!?? ive read things about people having brothers mums ect but what is it.....
The second and third years get "married" to someone from a different subject and they both get a fresher who does their subject. eg i'm a mathematician and i'm married to a musician so we've got a three kids (freshers) who are going to study maths or music. You won't find out who your college brother/sister will be until you're in Oxford.
in fact, if you pm me your name, i can find out who your parents and siblings are.
Missy_Ek
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Just thought I would say hello as well. Will be going to St Catz for biology. Have had nothing apart from an offer letter a very long time ago. Really looking forward to some contact here..
caz1701
Report 12 years ago
Thank you sokas :P sounds like lots of fun :rolleyes: hehe im praying that stats wont be too bad as i stupidly carried on maths and did further maths as so for all the pain that put me through it has to help me somehow!

Hey to missy ek, congratulations, i think u must have been up for interviews same time as me , yeh im still waiting for freshers packs etc

xx
RosW
Report 12 years ago
Hey Missy_Ek and everyone, I'm really looking forward to meeting you in October!!!

A reading list arrived this morning, no welcome letter or anything, just a reading list! I've looked for the books on Amazon, and some of them are really expensive or else aren't there at all. I think I'm going to try to get one cheaply and look at that, I'm not sure.
Missy_Ek
Report 12 years ago
RosW and caz1701, I might have met and talked to you then during interviews. Exciting.. Or something . I was, or really am still, from Sweden if that brings anyone to your minds. RosW, it sounds terrible boring with just a reading list. I was expecting at least a "hello", and "looking forward to meeting you" from our future tutors.. Does the reading list by any chance include any Dawkins? Maybe he is too obvious to be on the list.. I think I will have a hard time getting any of the books here in Sweden, so at least you now know someone who will be taking it easy before coming to Oxford... To everyone alse starting at st catz in Oct., I am looking forward a lot to meeting you all!! Catz clearly is the college.. Everything Scandinavian is pretty awesome.
imageofreality
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i got my first lot of stuff today!it even had a well done letter in it... and the long reading list .. lol altho i thought it had loadsa bumf about the college n stuff... but no it was maths and physics questions.....lol neva mind..... do we receive anything about accomodation??
Sinuhe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It seems really different how they're handling things this year compared to last year. (I suppose that's because they've got a brand new person on admissions who started only in August ...)

Last year the *deadline* for receiving most forms was 24th August. And you should be getting at least the following in your freshers pack:
- lots of welcome letters and lots of random bits of information (about prices mostly if I recall correctly)
- the freshers' guide (and freshers' week timetable) & the college regulations booklet
- the university card application form
- a doctor registration form
- a health information form for the college nurse
- a residence licence agreement (which you won't need to send, but just bring along to the Porters' Lodge when you arrive in Oxford)
- some offers for the gown and mortarboard (don't worry about these, you can get everything you need in Oxford when you arrive for the same price)
- some information about banks and insurance (though I think only for international students)
- invitation to the international student orientation programme (for internationals only, obviously)
- some more health information (you'll need to get a vaccination for mumps and meningitis C if you haven't had them yet)
- emergency contact information
- some data protection release form
They also asked us to send:
- 3 (or was it only 2?) passport photos in addition to the one you need to staple on the Bod-card form
- a copy of your financial assessment for tuition fees (probably not needed for you any more, as tuition fees are no longer means assessed)
- and I'm sure lots more that I can't remember at the moment.

Hope this will get you all excited and anxious. After all, who doesn't enjoy the prospect of filling in forms for the better part of the day?

I'm surprised about your reading lists and no welcome letter. A tutor of mine sent me a 'congratulations' e-mail as soon as I got the grades (and that was IB results, so it was in early July). And I never got a reading list (hehe!).

And you all seem to be saying you never got anything since the offer letter? Didn't your tutors send you a 'best of luck in your forthcoming exams' letter? (Mine did, but it was sent when my exams were nearly over, and moreover it spent 6 months on the way from the UK to continental Europe - it was rerouted through Sierra Leone! - so I got it only when I was already in Oxford. But it was a nice gesture still, I thought.)
caz1701
Report 12 years ago
I just got my freshers pack thingy through, its huge!!!! and yep theres all the forms to fill in, iv got an exciting day ahead of me :P i didnt hear anything from college after offer of place until my reading list on sunday although there are a few congratulation letters in the pack i just got

see you all in october

xxx
sokas
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
tip; make sure you send in a nice passport picture to the college for the Giro card...I didn't realise what mine were for and it is TERRIBLE...amusing...but terrible, and you can't change it at all, it stays until you leave!
RosW
Report 12 years ago
My freshers pack hasn't arrived yet, I feel left out! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. I bought a kettle and cutlery and stuff today, it was very exciting!

Missy_Ek, I think I did talk to you at interviews. Were you staying on the same staircase as me where the fire alarm went off twice in the night lol?, and were doing a gap year and working at an aquariam? I was wearing a red jumper and black trousers, and was drinking coffee all the time and telling everyone about the European Christmas market in Manchester, if that brings me to mind.

There was no Dawkins on the reading list I'm afraid. One of the books is called The Story of Life by Southwood, and one is called Evolution by Ridley. These two seem cheaper and more popular-science like, whereas the other books are proper textbooks! I'll post the full list if that would help you, but I guess you'll receive it soon anyway!
imageofreality
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the european christmas market in manchester!! that is very cool... well normally wet:P i think the german sausages are the best!! did you go on the wheel when it was up?????

i got my pack too today but yeh so many forms... i hate forms....has anyone else been sent worksheets n stuff?? iv bin sent some and some of the stuff is reali hard !!

could anyone help too, how do you go about applying for the bursary.. nothing was mentioned about it in the pack?
caz1701
Report 12 years ago
i could be totally wrong..in fact that is most likely but dont you have to send some form about your student financy thing from your local authority or something (not sure what form yet) and that shows them if your eligible for bursarys, i think somewhere it said u would be told in october if you might stand a chance of getting anything, i wasnt under the impression you have to reapply again atm.

xxx
RosW
Report 12 years ago
I got my freshers pack today. In fact the postman had tried to deliver it yesterday, but it was too big to fit through the letterbox! and no one was in the house, so I had to collect it. I haven't finished all the forms yet, contracts send me to sleep! There were no worksheets though. I've ordered one of the books from my reading list and am going to try to read it.

The sausages are great! I've never been on the wheel in Manchester, the queue is always too long! It's still there, in Exchange square.
Missy_Ek
Report 12 years ago
RosW. I remember you as well! Great to have found you here on TSR! Did you keep in contact with any of the other biology applicants at Catz? Anyways, I remember that night before my interview when the fire alarm went off. I did not get much sleep, but seeing everyone in our stair case out in pyjamas was pretty fun. I received my reading list today, and I found it very strange that it just came all by itself , no instructions, nothing! I wonder if it is not just a list of the books you need for the course? Which book did you choose buy?
imageofreality
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol a reading list without anything else at all??crazzzy!ooo is it still there??? (the wheel) i might have to go on it agen it was ace did anyone receive anything about college parents :s?
sokas
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by imageofreality)
did anyone receive anything about college parents :s?
well i've just found out i've lost a kid ....I have no kid that does psychology!
caz - two psychologists missed their grades
caz1701
Report 12 years ago
sokas... what happens if 2 missed their grades? do they offer to other people or do they over offer in the first place? aww hehe if your feeling broody you can always be a caring aunt :P
i didnt get anything through in the freshers pack from parents either
xx
sokas
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
..it's funny you should say that because I am your auntie! your dad is my brother...i'm pretty sure your parents wrote letters as well, maybe they will come later....If two miss their grades then no one else is offered the place unless they had an open offer to start with but I don't think they do open offers for psych.

They will still teach it, caz is doing it for one and then there is one other person, they had given out more offers for it anyway this yr
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Are you chained to your phone?