RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Linkster)
lol I'm feeling the pressure already...:p:

Just so you're warned, when I started one of the first thins they gave us was a short 'test'...a number of questions (multiple choice I think) we had to complete. We then went over then over the next few weeks with our supervisor to see which areas needed work etc.

Though of course, I'm not so ancient and far enough removed that things could have changed dramatically and they don't do this any more...maybe you don't have supervisors anymore for all I know....
tommymcflow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Whats this.....1st few weeks goin over A level work

This sounds like a very hard course lol....
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tommymcflow)

No, that going over of A Level stuff is in the hour you have/had each week with your supervisor.

There are/were all the normal lectures too of examinable material...though I know the struture of the lectures has chanegd somewhat since I did my first term.
Linkster
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Roger Kirk)

Just so you're warned, when I started one of the first thins they gave us was a short 'test'...a number of questions (multiple choice I think) we had to complete. We then went over then over the next few weeks with our supervisor to see which areas needed work etc.

Though of course, I'm not so ancient and far enough removed that things could have changed dramatically and they don't do this any more...maybe you don't have supervisors anymore for all I know....
thanks for the heads up, they said something about this on the welcome pack they sent us too. Dang...and I thought it was gona be all fun :p:

I guess its another case of me going into a test with feeling..
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

No, from the get go you start learning new stuff, unless you did further maths, but you'll still learn new stuff. You also have a test in week 1 which is a load of crap really.

Make no mistake, the first year at York is very very hard, infact it doesn't get much harder during your degree - you just study different modules.
tommymcflow
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by x.narb.x)
No, from the get go you start learning new stuff, unless you did further maths, but you'll still learn new stuff. You also have a test in week 1 which is a load of crap really.

Make no mistake, the first year at York is very very hard, infact it doesn't get much harder during your degree - you just study different modules.
Taxiiiiii!!!!
andy123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Taxiiiiii!!!!
Lol, I had the same reaction.

Erm, what are all of you doing about textbooks and the general reading books? I have looked on Amazon, and the books that are recommended for the first term modules (there are six) add up to £122.77 or there abouts. Is it worth buying them, so that a) at least I have them and thus don't have to worry about getting them at the start of term and b) I can read some of the stuff in advance? I could buy some of them off Amazon Marketplace but it won't be that much cheaper.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hi.. im most proably cming to york to study maths through clearing.

i missed an A in maths but i was very very close. do you think those who dont get As at a level may struggle? its sounds very difficult so far from what ive read. i havnt done further maths or anything like that.

what is the maths course like? do you enjoy it?
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personally, I didn't enjoy it, in the first term you have calculus, which is ok, but then they go into detail about continuity and stuff like that, which is all abit airy fairy, you also have "foundations" which is absolutely homosexual, then theres vectors & complex numbers which is good. You'll also take core applied mathematics which is again good, if you like the applied stuff.

As for 2nd term, you have differential equations which is good, calculus 2 which is OK, matrices and linear algebra which is again, absolutely homo, and then you have the most homo thing of all, analysis 1.

After that, it gets more homo, because you have to do probability(gay) and group theory(gayer) and also analysis 2(gayest).

Basically, its boring, and homo, I found first year maths almost like doing Mathematical Philosophy..or similar. But hey, you might like it?
Linkster
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by x.narb.x)
Personally, I didn't enjoy it, in the first term you have calculus, which is ok, but then they go into detail about continuity and stuff like that, which is all abit airy fairy, you also have "foundations" which is absolutely homosexual, then theres vectors & complex numbers which is good. You'll also take core applied mathematics which is again good, if you like the applied stuff.

As for 2nd term, you have differential equations which is good, calculus 2 which is OK, matrices and linear algebra which is again, absolutely homo, and then you have the most homo thing of all, analysis 1.

After that, it gets more homo, because you have to do probability(gay) and group theory(gayer) and also analysis 2(gayest).

Basically, its boring, and homo, I found first year maths almost like doing Mathematical Philosophy..or similar. But hey, you might like it?
lol when you say 'gay' do you mean its easy/hard or what? I heard analysis is quite hard, the one you called gayest.
laser
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Gay means difficult
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
so is maths at york for the naturally good at maths people?

if i work reasonably hard.. not that hard will it be less gay?

also wat kind of people do u get on the course?
Linkster
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 3.14159265)
so is maths at york for the naturally good at maths people?

if i work reasonably hard.. not that hard will it be less gay?

also wat kind of people do u get on the course?
I'm actually quite curious about the kind of people on the course too but I'm sure at like any other university there will be a mix of different kinds of people.

Regarding the difficulty, i havent started yet so I'm not entirely sure (a present student will probs be more clued up) but I'm sure others are thinking the same thing who have only done single A-level maths. I also doubt everyone will be naturally brilliant at it, again there is probably a mixture I'm guessing. A lot depends on how much work people are willing to put in.

Dont worry I'm sure you'll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed