Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing economics at Pembroke, how likely is it that i'll have to travel places by bike?

ReputationRep:
    I've had two bikes nicked in the past few months. For this reason I don't think I'm going to buy another.

ReputationRep:
    For gods sake... read the thread.
    a) no matter how close to your lectures you might want a bike becuase in almost every single circumstance it will make life quicker
    b) just because your lectures are close by does not necessarily mean you will have things that aren't far away: for instance rowing, other sports, supervisisons at far away colleges, getting to the station if you go away for the weekend, etc etc
    c) just becuase your college is central does not neccessarily mean your accomdoation is i.e. Gonville and Caius

We can't tell you how likely you are to need a bike. For instance even if you live within 2 minutes walk of your lectures how the heck are we supposed to know where your supervisiions will be? WHether you will take up rowing? Whethter you will by a rugby player? Whether you will want to go to Kelsey Kerridge every day?
    www.cam.ac.uk/map look at places you might want to go, and decide whether you want a bike.

And cambridge is not a thief free utopia, it has huge numbers of thefts but if you lock your bike with agood lock to bike racks etc then you will be fine. Again it opportunistic thefts for the most part

ReputationRep:
    any good bike shops in cam or should i buy one in london?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of good shops, many will probaly offer student discounts, also the added benefit of not having to get it here if you don't have much space

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popop12345)
    Take a trip down Mill Road and you'll find about five or six bike shops.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for answers people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popop12345)
    There are bike shops in Cambridge, but they are overpriced. I'm getting a second hand bike in the local paper for £15. I wouldnt take my own bike because there is no need to put temptation in the way of theives! To conclude, get a second hand bike and dont get one that is worth anything much...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I'd like a bike... Robinson and Engineering are quite a way apart and I planned on getting a bike from when I applied.

Are they really that overpriced?

Also would I have to take it home during vacations? Because dad really does not want to have to buy a bike carrier for his car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Are they really that overpriced?
    The couple of shops in the city centre might be a bit overpriced (I don't know though); however down Mill Road it'll just be normal bike shop prices, there's even a branch of Cycle King and they are always quite cheap and cheerful. If you're looking to buy secondhand however you may be better off looking around at home as there'll be a big demand in Cambridge at the start of term.

ReputationRep:
    If you can, DON'T buy a mountain bike because the gear ratios are all wrong for cycling on roads and Cam doesn't exactly have any hills...

I bought one for my first year and found it good, not only for nipping over to the library when I had two minutes to return books due to poor planning, but also so I could shop at Tesco and get cheaper food.

I also used it to visit my supervisor (be aware that they may be in a far-off college) and to get random things around town, like library books and the like.

It just makes everything quicker; for example, Clare Mem Court to the ADC is a 20 minute leisurely walk, but about 3 or 4 minutes by bike.

The best type to get in my opinion isn't a racing bike or one suited for just road use, because it'll be shaken apart on the cobbles (For example, that street between Trinity Street and Sidney Street). You could try getting a mountain bike frame and fittign road tyres and better gears, becaus that would be tough enough to survive Cam streets. I have an old sit-up-and-beg alloy bike which is about 30 years old but looks brand new, having had attention lavished on it. A carrier and basket are useful, plus don't forget lights; I've got some nice new 6w Halogen sets for my birthday, to ensure I can see where I'm going and the cars can see me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    there's even a branch of Cycle King
    If you go there you can also have a look at some of Robinson's second year accommodation (Romsey Terrace is the next road on the right after Cycle King)

Robinson to the Engineering department isn't going to kill if you don't want to get a bike but one would nice to have if you can't be bothered to walk. You can leave your bike in college over the holidays. They lock one of the bike sheds over the summer and maybe over the other holidays too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    If you go there you can also have a look at some of Robinson's second year accommodation (Romsey Terrace is the next road on the right after Cycle King)

Robinson to the Engineering department isn't going to kill if you don't want to get a bike but one would nice to have if you can't be bothered to walk. You can leave your bike in college over the holidays. They lock one of the bike sheds over the summer and maybe over the other holidays too.
    Good thankyou!

I do want to get a bike... To be honest I don't have to pay for the damn thing - last October my gran said she'd buy me a bike if I got into Cambridge, now she better pay up!

So I want something tough enough to withstand the roads but cheap and un-flashy enough to avoid being nicked? Hmmm...

When I go to Cam for a night soon I'll decide whether I'm gonna want a bike... maybe I could pre-order something for when I get there to avoid the big Freshers Week rush?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    Good lord, that's one hell of a long way from Robinson!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Good lord, that's one hell of a long way from Robinson!
    Yeah. It's a bit depressing to find out that's where you're living but you get used to it. There are even some benefits.

It's a bit of a ****er when you have supervisions in the Cavendish though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    If you can, DON'T buy a mountain bike because the gear ratios are all wrong for cycling on roads and Cam doesn't exactly have any hills...
    How emphatic a DO NOT is that. My local classifieds has a few quite cheap and I'm tempted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jigglypuff)
    Any room for rollerblades? Probably my favourite means of transport. If not...agreed with the person above- I have a mountain bike, is that a really bad idea?
    It'd be difficult - the streets and pavements are often quite crowded, especially just before lectures start in the morning. And I can't imagine you'd enjoy the cobbled bits too much! I've seen one or two people on rollerblades/skateboard, but I'd imagine it would be quite stop-start-swerve-to-avoid-stupid-tourist...

I don't think having a mountain bike would be the worst thing in the world. You won't be able to go as fast or efficiently as on a road bike, but it'll get you places. If you can get a second hand one cheaply, do it.

ReputationRep:
    What about panniers for mountain bikes... or can we just carry the stuff on our backs/handlebars? Or -and I was afraid it would come to this - does the inevitable wicker basket come into play. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I manage fine with a backpack. It fits a big file and a few books and laptop if needs be and shopping usually goes on handlebars. Though some people do go with the wicker basket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intelligentsia)
    What about panniers for mountain bikes... or can we just carry the stuff on our backs/handlebars? Or -and I was afraid it would come to this - does the inevitable wicker basket come into play. :rolleyes:
    You're never going to need more than a file and maybe a couple of books/pad of paper at a time to take around the city. Wicker baskets are by no means compulsory; I don't have one and nor do most people I know (some do, but they're not that common!) Panniers are apparently more convenient than a rucksack, but I don't have any, so everything goes on my back. And my bag gets nicely mudsplattered.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.