AEA or STEP ? Watch

Ice Man 3000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
For anyone who has done the Oxford admission test, do you reckon that by revising for STEP, little preparation will have to be done for both AEA and the Oxford admissions test, as STEP is considered more difficult.
ssmoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think the Oxford Admissions test slots in between STEP II and III. But again it's different style of questions. I reckon STEP will help though. I have no experience of the AEA.
El Matematico
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont know the Oxford admissions test all that well since I never applied to Oxford, but I did do the sample tests that they use. I think that if you are relatively comfortable with STEP papers, the Oxford Admissions test should be fairly straight forward. Although as ssmoose said, they're a different style of questions so you will still benefit from the sample tests. But overall, if you prepare for and can do STEP, the admission test should be ok.
Popa Dom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Freakminer64)
For anyone who has done the Oxford admission test, do you reckon that by revising for STEP, little preparation will have to be done for both AEA and the Oxford admissions test, as STEP is considered more difficult.
Yeah, a couple of questions from the entrance test were similar to ones that I'd seen on a STEP paper (like the one where they give you logs of numbers then ask you what the first number is and how many digits there are in some other number) though I'd completely forgotten how to do it by that point which was a shame. So doing STEP would definitely be a good preparation, but to be honest BMO might be more useful, as there were questions about geometry which isnt in STEP, and a few of the multiple choice are fairly similar to some of the harder maths challenge questions actually. Also the interview questions themselves tend to be more BMO style questions, (two of the questions I'd got in interview were quite comparable to questions I got on the BMO mentoring sheets, and I know that one of them I would have struggled for a long time on if I wasn't familiar with the pidgeonhole principle from doing those sheets)
Ice Man 3000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
So would you say the best preparation for the Oxford admissions test would be STEP and BMO questions ?
ssmoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
STEP, BMO, AEA, any mathematics more advanced than A Level basically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads