Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Very good point...

Though if I wanted a good (well paying) job, I wouldn't have done a music degree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohemian)
    Other than the obvious "which am I better at" and "which do I prefer", a VERY important question for those at uni studying music is "which am I more likely to get a job in" because it's tricky enough to earn decent amounts of money in music as it is.
    Very important consideration. In the business, piano is probably the most transferable skill - repetiteur, accompanist and of course the best tool for composing, arranging and getting music into the computer. After that consider the rarer instruments - bassoon, oboe, bass, trombone and READING drummers. Can you crossover from classsical to jazz to rock to stage? Singers, can you move/dance/act?

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Manchester already. If you're planning on having lessons in both your instruments, it is possible to change to the other as your main instrument if you change your mind later on. However, at the end of the year you need to perform your recital on your main instrument so it's probably best to choose as early on as possible!
    Also, what you were saying about the head of department.. David Fallows? He's been at the uni for years. He's only been head of department for one year though as they rotate every 2 years.
    See you in a couple of weeks!

ReputationRep:
    I think I was talking about my head of music, not the head at Manchester...

Yes 2 weeks today....!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok sorry, got confused!
    Are you looking forward to it? The first week is always loads of fun with all the choir rehearsals and stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to it now moreso than a few weeks ago when I was petrified... Yeah should be fun, though we're doing something like Stravinsky's Mass which doesn't sound easy...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it's going to be good. Marcus is a great choir conductor. And with all the intense rehearsals we get (combined with the dreaded freshers flu lol) it'll all work out fine. The freshers concert is always really impressive, and the rehearsals help all you guys feel like you fit in right away. Plus you meet sooooo many people in so little time!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 3, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.