Turn on thread page Beta

2:2 = No employment? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    You are right in that experience is very important and that a degree alone will often not suffice. However you are wrong in saying that 2:1/2:2 doesn't matter. In graduate jobs this is THE key screening distinction and not having a 2:1 will make your life much harder, no doubt.
    Agreed. But I believe experience holds greater value that classification of degree. I hold a 1st class honours in chemistry from a redbrick university and I am struggling to make a move out of my industry. But to be fair my experience has been has bought a lot of frustration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh89)
    Agreed. But I believe experience holds greater value that classification of degree. I hold a 1st class honours in chemistry from a redbrick university and I am struggling to make a move out of my industry. But to be fair my experience has been has bought a lot of frustration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For new graduates, experience brings greater weight than classification of degree only when you're talking about the difference between a 2.1 and a 1st, in general.

Unless you have absolutely fantastic experience, employers are much less likely to take a punt on you over someone who has achieved the standard grade.

You will find it much much harder to secure a job with a 2.2, but as long as you're willing to set your sights a little lower, you can still get to where you want to be by alternative approaches to graduate jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP, honestly do a masters. It'll only help you in the long run. You can even branch out into different areas of study in the masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advice Guru)
    OP, honestly do a masters. It'll only help you in the long run. You can even branch out into different areas of study in the masters.
    I know...

I have a place and am starting this Sept..

However I am not 100% converted....hence, this post..

Why do think it will help? If you don't mind me asking..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    A quick skimming of employee profiles in my current head-hunting role shows that the overwhelming majority of graduates who secure the best jobs all invariably seem to have 2:1 degrees and above.
    However, what about that percentage of us below that threshold? Who, like me, are struggling to find full-time work? Is there no hope for any of us?
    I got a 2:2 and have two well paid job offers in London and I haven't even graduated yet. Theres more to it, if you make it a stumbling block for yourself it will be.... I did a placement while at uni so that definitely helped. I have also worked part time for about 6 years.

I was also accepted for every LLM/MSC I applied for as a backup lol. But be careful with masters. Employers know that trick now, you can't hide your 2:2 with a masters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    I know...

Well firstly its a postgraduate qualification, so it is a step up from a bachelors. Ideally your application should look better than most undergraduate degree holders since you do infact have a masters.

Like I said, it's the 2:2 that worries me. It's not bad, you could have graduated with no honours for example, but employers these days need a 2:1. The economy is getting better no doubt, but it hasn't still recovered back to the 2005/2006 glory days.

In a way the masters gives you an excuse to wash away that 2:2, it shows that fair enough I got a 2:2 but I have the balls to work hard and get a masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    I know...

Do the masters

What is it you want to go into career wise?

ReputationRep:
    It's always good to have a masters. Why wouldn't it be? Plus, once you actually leave education, it's bloody hard to motivate yourself to come back and study.

ReputationRep:
    If I below 2:1 I wouldn't even write it on my CV. Think about it logically it shows your not that brilliant you can't sell yourself with a 2:2. Honestly a Distinction at BTEC is more worthy lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    If I below 2:1 I wouldn't even write it on my CV. Think about it logically it shows your not that brilliant you can't sell yourself with a 2:2. Honestly a Distinction at BTEC is more worthy lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How is a Distinction at BTEC comparable to an honours degree?
    They are worlds apart in standard and work load.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unsurprisingly, this is total nonsense. I wish people would stop ****ting themselves about their 2:2's. You might not be able to take the more obvious routes into your career - but there are THOUSANDS of people trying to take the obvious route, it's almost impossible anyway.

It's perfectly possible to find a decent job with a 2:2, just don't search for graduate schemes. Go to your local recruitment agency, check out smaller businesses etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownbearxo)
    Theres more to it, if you make it a stumbling block for yourself it will be.... I did a placement while at uni so that definitely helped. I have also worked part time for about 6 years.
    This, all over! :thumbsup:

I was fortunate enough to graduate with a 2:1 and to have taken an industrial placement, which has helped my applications, but it hasn't meant an immediate stepping stone into employment. In fact, the vast majority of posts I've applied for - requiring a degree - have stated that a first class or upper-second is 'desirable' but not in place of enthusiasm for the posted opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much there are thousands of graduates with 2:1's and 1st's who can't get a job either .

ReputationRep:
    It's always good to have a masters. Why wouldn't it be? Plus, once you actually leave education, it's bloody hard to motivate yourself to come back and study.
    Unless you are trying to get in a job that requires the specific skills learned on a masters course it gives you no advantage over a regular graduate. Or so I have been told on good authority.

Say for example if I wanted to do something involving x-ray crystallography then a masters course where the third semester project involved heavy use of this skill would obviously be very useful. If you were to then go an apply for say accountancy it would give you no real advantage over a regular physics grad.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't help you get past the autofilter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Doesn't help you get past the autofilter.
    I cringed when I saw that you posted on this thread, Quady.. But, in this instance, you are right..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Unsurprisingly, this is total nonsense. I wish people would stop ****ting themselves about their 2:2's. You might not be able to take the more obvious routes into your career - but there are THOUSANDS of people trying to take the obvious route, it's almost impossible anyway.

It's perfectly possible to find a decent job with a 2:2, just don't search for graduate schemes. Go to your local recruitment agency, check out smaller businesses etc.
    This. I read somewhere that only 10% of graduates actually go on to one of these schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumbeale)
    I once drove past a University and got a 2.2 for it.
    I feel that is very unfair.
    A lot of people try really hard and get a 2.2. Everyone has their own set of circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    This. I read somewhere that only 10% of graduates actually go on to one of these schemes.
    Id still find 10% very surprising. There really don't seem to be that many posts available.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Id still find 10% very surprising. There really don't seem to be that many posts available.
    I'm graduating this year and out of all the people I know/vaguely know, I can think of about 2 who've even bothered applying for a graduate scheme. They're an exception rather than the norm.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.