Declining AS/A2 grades - lots of questions Watch

Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by adil_2006)
I am pretty sure that from this year of applying ums marks will be put down. (2006-2007)
No, just unit grades, unless it's oxbridge.....
Lykabelle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by adil_2006)
I am pretty sure that from this year of applying ums marks will be put down. (2006-2007)
Nah marks won't be put down on your UCAS form. Only module grades.
arsenalfan.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for all replies, they where helpful.
ArVi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lykabelle)
Nah marks won't be put down on your UCAS form. Only module grades.
:ditto:
Jennifer R
Report 12 years ago
wow thnx a bunch ArVi cuz i was kinda gettin worried bout all dis decline stuff...
so i can re sit the units as many times n then chose the best ones rite? and then i can get a certificate kind a thing with the overall grade of all the units rite?
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer R)
wow thnx a bunch ArVi cuz i was kinda gettin worried bout all dis decline stuff...
You're welcome

so i can re sit the units as many times n then chose the best ones rite?
Yes. But certain for subjects you can only resit units once. I think edexel Chemistry is one of them.

and then i can get a certificate kind a thing with the overall grade of all the units rite?
Yes, when you cash-in for an AS/A2 award
Elements
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ArVi)
You're welcome Yes. But certain for subjects you can only resit units once. I think edexel Chemistry is one of them.
I think that Modern Languages are in that list too. However, you can retake the whole year however many times you want.
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elements)
I think that Modern Languages are in that list too. However, you can retake the whole year however many times you want.
Retaking the whole year will probably work for Chemistry too
Jennifer R
Report 12 years ago
ok so biology is not one of them rite? and um i can cash in after the results rite? i mean how else will i know which units id to use like in da certificate...
ppl usually cash in from b4 like if there school wants the AS grades or sth rite?
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok so biology is not one of them rite?
Don't think so

and um i can cash in after the results rite? i mean how else will i know which units id to use like in da certificate... ppl usually cash in from b4 like if there school wants the AS grades or sth rite?
You generally have to specify that you want to cash-in for an award when you apply for the exams (March the latest). If, after you get the results, you don't like your grade, you can then decline.

I'm not sure how easy 'late cash-in' is (cashing-in after results day) - but I know it is possible
Elements
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok so biology is not one of them rite? and um i can cash in after the results rite? i mean how else will i know which units id to use like in da certificate...
ppl usually cash in from b4 like if there school wants the AS grades or sth rite?
I know for an absolute fact that Biology is defintiely not one of them!
Jennifer R
Report 12 years ago
thnx a bunch u ppl...really...thank goodness biology is not one of them...so r u like sure that cashing in after results day (4 the exams already taken) is possible?
when u say march the latest (4 cashing-in) do u mean for after the jan exams? or u mean to say cashing-in 4 the june exams yet to sit?
and do u like have to pay 4 cashing-in and declining...??
and one more question ...for example if i decline a certain unit...and then resit the exam again and after the results i c that my previous marks in that perticular unit was better then the one i re-sat...so then is it possible to use the grade of the previously declined unit for my certificate?
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
so r u like sure that cashing in after results day (4 the exams already taken) is possible?
Pretty sure, but I don't reccomend it. Cash-in when you apply for the exams, then you can decline later if you want.

when u say march the latest (4 cashing-in) do u mean for after the jan exams? or u mean to say cashing-in 4 the june exams yet to sit?
For June exams - that's when you have to apply for them (March)

and do u like have to pay 4 cashing-in and declining...??
No

for example if i decline a certain unit...and then resit the exam again and after the results i c that my previous marks in that perticular unit was better then the one i re-sat...so then is it possible to use the grade of the previously declined unit for my certificate?
You can't decline a unit, but you can still resit it. When the unit is being used for cash-in, the highest mark you received in it (regardless of when) will be used.
Jennifer R
Report 12 years ago
thnx...actually wat i meant to write was if i for example gave my A2 exams (which i cashed-in for) n den after the results wanted to re-sit only a single unit from dem would that b possible? or wud i have to decline the whole A2 award and appear in each of the three units again?

and thnx for lettin me know that i'll b able to use da best marks from any time i sit da papers...

and u c wat i did is i have already taken two units from my AS and now i am going to apear in the 3rd this comin jan...so how wud i cash-in for that?
i will also b taking all the A2 units so I'll have to seperately cash-in for that rite??
Jennifer R
Report 12 years ago
anyone??
plzzzzzzz??
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thnx...actually wat i meant to write was if i for example gave my A2 exams (which i cashed-in for) n den after the results wanted to re-sit only a single unit from dem would that b possible? or wud i have to decline the whole A2 award and appear in each of the three units again?
You'd have to decline the A2 award, but you can sit as many units as you want again (you don't need to resit all 3)

and u c wat i did is i have already taken two units from my AS and now i am going to apear in the 3rd this comin jan...so how wud i cash-in for that?
i will also b taking all the A2 units so I'll have to seperately cash-in for that rite??
You can cash-in for AS in January, or since you are continuing to A2, you can cash-in for just A2 after you have completed all 6 units
Jennifer R
Report 12 years ago
thnx alot so u mean even tho i have already taken 2 units of AS i can still cash in for it as im doin da 3rd unit this jan? and OR also i can just cash-in for A2 so it'll b like the whole thing together rite?
poppy_bluebell
Report 11 years ago
can someone please answer my questions and sorry if they have been asked before or they are confusing.
i took biology aqa and i got a B grade at as.at a2 level for unit 5 i got C(1 mark of a B)unit 6 i got an E and i failed synoptic paper.my overall a2 grade was D.
in chemistry i got an E, i retook couple of modules and when i worked it out i was at a C for as and i received a D for a2.
i was hoping to retake only like a couple of modules for each subject in the hope of taking the 2 Ds to 2 Bs or something and i thought that i would have a chance as my as grades would now be B(bio)and C(for chem) but i read that as when i got my as chem grade i carried on into the second year and so the resit that it ook only improves the a2 grade not he as is that right?
does anyone have any advice on what i should do.
i really dont want to take all of the modules again!
sorry for the long post!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1206)
79.6%
Leave (309)
20.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise