Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done 6 subjects, including Product Design?

ReputationRep:
    Product design is such an odd one out! It is not a traditional subject and won't be well regarded by top unis. If I were you I would just do the rest. If you are mathematically inclined, maths, fmaths, physics and critic. thinking will all be easy, and chemistry isn't too bad either.

(Original post by alarose)
    I'm considering doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Product Design and Critical thinking this year (AS). Do you guys think it's an absolute madness to do this?
    I'm CONFUSED:confused:
    definitely not madness. I'm doing 7. But just make sure you don't do all of it at once as that would be madness!

ReputationRep:
    But just make sure you don't do all of it at once as that would be madness!
    What do you mean? If I'm going to do 6 subjects for my AS, then I am doing them all at once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki)
    One important thing to note is that maths, further maths and critical thinking don't generally have coursework whereas 4 of yours did, didn't they?
    No.. I only did coursework for biology and physics for AS (I've done french and psychology A2 coursework in july after the AS exams but not during AS).... and it was still tiring!

ReputationRep:
    Well i think i am going to do 6 A Levels but i don't want to do them if they will jepordise my grades overall. You see I don't see them as 6 full As levels though. I will be doing general studies which most people don't count and then AS psychology i will be doing over two years on a tuesday after college ( One two Hour lesson per week, I think i will do 2 modules the first year and one the next or vice versa.) My sister did this and found it quite easy and it wouldn't be taking up any of my timetabled frees and there is no coursework and i don't think you get much Homework either. So i kinda see it as an advantage to do. Especially seen as AS psychology is said to be quite simple and it only goes more indepth at A2. What do you think?

My other A levels will be History, Geography, Politics and Chemistry.

Do you think it would be a manageble workload?

ReputationRep:
    My main worry is about Product Design - I did GCSE Product Design and it took a lot of my time.

ReputationRep:
    The sensible thing would be to drop Product Design, and if you really want to do six, take another, such as Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    personally i think 6 a/s is a waste of time. 5 is just fine drop the critical thinking a/s its not respected uni's categorically state in their prospectuses that its not included in offers. Instead of doing further maths a/s why dont you take the whole A2 in one year im asuming you will be aplying for maths, so in that case you will have offers of AA in physics and f.maths which will make yr 13 a much easier year for you and increase your oxbridge chances.

ReputationRep:
    aye it is possible. my friend did 7 ASs this year in history, geog, maths, latin, economics, GS, and critical thinking and got 7As. so yeah, you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    Even though it might be possible (not sure about how much time Product Design will take though - sounds like a lot of work), I think the question you should be asking yourself is "Do I want to?". Fine, if you do, but it just seems to me like you are trying too hard to please the universities. It would be impressive to a certain extent, but people get offers off 3-4, and have normal lives. Doing 6 will seriously limit your free time, or even just the time you need to relax. I'm doing 5 purely because I wanted to do all of the subjects, and I knew that I would enjoy them. Also, remember that Critical Thinking is classed into the "new" A-level category, and so falls in with General Studies and Citizenship, and may well help for certain degrees (they like it for History apparently), but seeing as you are heading down the scientific side, it won't necessarily do you any favours, and will probably turn into the annoying subject on the side. I myself started Critical Thinking at the beginning of this year, and I then ditched it, because, IMHO, it is an AS in common sense and exam techniques, not really a test of thinking critically. I also started with Art on top of that, but the workload was far far too high, as I was spending about 3-4 hours / week doing life classes after school, which was time that I needed to dedicate to other subjects, and I knew that I could jeapordise my other grades, like I did at GCSE, by spending too much time working on my practical subjects (Electronics is still very time consuming, being a practical subject, but the fact that there is solid theory behind it means that the workload is reduced slightly).

So it is possible, but you need to consider, seriously, whether it is worth doing 6. Doing 4 is more than sufficient, and even though 6 will make you stand out from the crowd, will you stand out for the right reasons?

Best of luck, whatever you choose to do

ReputationRep:
    I did 6 and turst me it was all down revision towards the end of the year. Just have a decent grasp of the subject throughout the year by paying attention in lessons. Memorise mark schemes and work hard on your further maths and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It would probably be possible if you orgainsed your time well and worked very hard, but I really don't think it would be worth it. Universities only ask for 3 A-levels and an AS and it would be far better to get 4 or 5 top grades than 6 average ones. Product design would take up a huge amount of your time due to coursework and probably isn't respected anyway, so I wouldn't bother with that. Critical Thinking is fine as a 5th AS though as it's not a 'proper' A-level anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Most people in my school do 6AS - levels at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexey)
    Most people in my school do 6AS - levels at least.
    Really?? That seems unlikely somehow:
    http://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/?100473&Retry=

And then click on "Detailed A-level Results", and then scroll down to the bottom, and the average number of exams comes in just under 3.7 / pupil. Which is a huge drop. And if you compare this with the figures for AS only, it simply doesn't add up... Unless, of course, you go to a different Harrow School...

ReputationRep:
    Most clever people, I should have mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alarose)
    I'm considering doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Product Design and Critical thinking this year (AS). Do you guys think it's an absolute madness to do this?
    I'm CONFUSED:confused:
    Drop product design, you won't need it, apparently admission tutors for engineering do not like it. However it is good fo architecture.
    Do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Critical Thinking (AS) and you'll be sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexey)
    Most clever people, I should have mentioned.
    Yes, you should... I would have thought a clever person such as yourself wouldn't have been so careless with your English. I'm sure I don't need to point out how different the two statements are.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've finally decided to do 5 AS-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, chemistry and Product Design. I dropped Critical Thinking because 1. it was no longer available 2. I was recommanded by my head of year not to do it and instead join a debating club and include it in my personal statement. And, I picked Product Design because 1. I got an A* for it in my GCSEs 2. I read in Cambridge's website that Product Design is helpful for those who would like to take engineering courses at uni.

Thank you all for helping me through!

ReputationRep:
    All the cool kids do 10 A-Levels with 3 AEAs like that Czech kid.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.