The best car you can buy for £1000 or under? Watch

pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not true though, the XUD/DW9 engines are some of the most reliable engines ever.
Pookie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can't deny they are noisy and dog slow?
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No more noisy than any diesel of the indirect injection generation, no. Dog slow - not at all, the first cars considered to be performance diesels (i.e. ZX) were TD XUD engines. The main problem is there reliability, few cars I could ever find had reasonable mileage.
Pookie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pghstochaj)
No more noisy than any diesel of the indirect injection generation, no. Dog slow - not at all, the first cars considered to be performance diesels (i.e. ZX) were TD XUD engines. The main problem is there reliability, few cars I could ever find had reasonable mileage.
When compared to an perkins diesel of the same generation which is direct injection they are noisy and dog slow. Why get something unrefined when you can get something better?

Im my opinion Rover took a step backwards in fitting the XUD to the R8.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The PAS XUD was around since 1990 or so, if not earlier, are you sure any direct injection diesel engine existed then? Most manufacturers skipped direct and went straight from indirect to common rail.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Interesting, so it was direct injection.

1994cc 'Perkins' Turbo diesel

The Perkins Diesel (code named Prima) was first seen in the Maestro van in 1986, it ran without a Turbo charger in the van and was very noisy and harsh. It was based on the 'O' series block with a direct injection head, the Montego was one of the first mass production cars to be offered with a direct injection diesel instead of the quieter and more refined indierect injection units. Although it suffered form more vibration than its main rivals, the Montego was quicker, and alot more fuel efficient. Even by todays standards where diesel cars have come along way in the last 10 years since the Montego TD was launched, it can still out permorm a modern direct injection diesel on the economy run!
I have put in bold the interesting point - considering it's from a MG tuners website lol

I still know that a perkins direct injection diesel stands no chance against my common rail, both in economy and performance. The XUD set a standard, the Rover engine never did that - and that happened for a reason.
RogueTrader
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I can see you guys are talking really in depth here, but its just a first car that has got to last me 2-3 years. Im looking at a M reg punto tomorrow- 1.7 diesel. What do you guys think?
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't bother - the 1.7 D in the Punto isn't any quicker than the 1.2 8v (60) nor is it more economical, you have a higher tax cost too - hence motoring will more expensive and slightly more dull.

The 1.2 8v will cost you less to purchase in the first place also.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The 1.7 is far too heavy for the Punto's chasis to handle. Don't bother, awful cars, the FIRE units are so much better suited to the small and light chasis.
Pookie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Interesting, so it was direct injection.

I have put in bold the interesting point - considering it's from a MG tuners website lol

I still know that a perkins direct injection diesel stands no chance against my common rail, both in economy and performance.
LOL! Of course how can you compare it to a common rail, it is years between the two.

The XUD set a standard, the Rover engine never did that - and that happened for a reason.
Okay sorry I was saying they were noiser from experience, in general yes you are correct. The perkins prima was the first direct injection passenger diesel, how can you not say it didn't set a standard? It was in use from 1986 in commercial vehicles.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Because direct injection never really caught on, the XUD was the diesel engine of the 90s, simple as.
Pookie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well we will just have to disagree The L series is the diesel engine of the 90s for me
rcuk
Report 12 years ago
My oldest brother got a Renault 19 as his first car and he's always been really pleased with it. Don't know all the details, but it might be worth looking in to. They're quite cheap to get hold of and apparently it drives really well. He's had really good service from Renault when he's had a niggle with the car.

Another brother has had 2 306's and has had trouble with both for reliability. He's now running a car put together from bits of both...
manifestation of morality
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im possibly going to get myself a Renualt Clio tomorrow for £995, phoned the guy who said he'd left it a garage for MOT so went and had a look without him around.

It failed MOT, but on minor things, headlight doesnt work, sum rubber seal needed replacing. Garage people said was the odd small things. I took my dad along tho as he's into he cars + machanics, i wouldn't of had a clue. I think u either need to know what to look 4, or find sum u know who does, so easy to be conned
manifestation of morality
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Also insurance for a Clio is the cheapest ive found for anything. £961 by Direct Line, and i only passed test yesterday
tomc87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by RogueTrader)
Im drawn to a 306, but do you guys know any others that would be better value? Cant really be more than a 1.4 engine as its my first car.

cheers
Just make sure you don't buy a really cheap 306, or a petrol-engined model with high miles. I spent over the average price for a 1997 turbodiesel 306 which did have high miles but had a full service history and had the cambelt/break pads & discs/glow plugs replaced before i bought it. I also got a mechanic i knew to check the car before i bought it.. I haven't had any problems regarding reliability with my car until this week...
Friggerpants
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pookie)
Well we will just have to disagree The L series is the diesel engine of the 90s for me

After Common rail diesel's, L series IS the best.

It's economical, powerful, quiet enough and is reliable!
RogueTrader
Rep:
?
This punto Im looking at seems pretty good value though. £600, and its not just how it drives, but how it looks. Its been kept in really good condition.
RogueTrader
Rep:
?
Also, could people give me links to pictures of other cars they are suggesting.
thanks
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by RogueTrader)
This punto Im looking at seems pretty good value though. £600, and its not just how it drives, but how it looks. Its been kept in really good condition.
Its just 1.7s had a bad reputation for being noisy and smelly. They aslo produce a lot of smoke.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (60)
19.74%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.47%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.79%

Watched Threads