Turn on thread page Beta

M259 - Motion to Increase the Education of Prisoners watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    That's what happens when German students and Romance language students start ruling on English grammar.
    Meh - you learn German grammar and you'll have a better grasp of English grammar than anyone who has studied English.

I always remember the Head of German used to correct my Head of English's emails And he studied English at Oxford, so it's not like he was just some bog-standard English guy who had become a teacher.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by bun)
    Meh - you learn German grammar and you'll have a better grasp of English grammar than anyone who has studied English.

I always remember the Head of German used to correct my Head of English's emails And he studied English at Oxford, so it's not like he was just some bog-standard English guy who had become a teacher.
    I did buy myself a grammar book when I tried (unsuccessfully) to teach myself some German last summer. It is very interesting, as is Spanish grammar for some things. Welsh grammar is the worst though, no real logical patterns and often five different ways of expressing the same tense.

I think I need to find a career as a professional grammarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I did buy myself a grammar book when I tried (unsuccessfully) to teach myself some German last summer. It is very interesting, as is Spanish grammar for some things. Welsh grammar is the worst though, no real logical patterns and often five different ways of expressing the same tense.

I think I need to find a career as a professional grammarian.
    Spanish is a wonderfully simple language to learn. The grammar is simple, and the only tricky bit is the preterite if you also know french, because they use it for different reasons, which can get confusing.

I always say, German is the hardest of the main european langauges to learn, but the easiest to master. English is the easiest to learn, and the hardest to master.
    It takes a while to get your head round the rules for German: having 16 ways of saying 'the' depending on what makes up the sentence, for example is a nightmare - particularly coming from Yorkshire where we don't even say 'the'! But once you have the rules, there's very little you won't be sure about.
    My main problem at the moment is, having studied Old English quite a bit recently, and the linguistics behind it, plus obviously studying German, I've started capitalising nouns even in English, just like we always used to.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Nice motion; sorry for derailing it with a language discussion!

Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye, rehabilitating prisoners into useful members of society has to be far more constructive.

ReputationRep:
    For once, I welcome a Liberal proposition. Except for heinous offenders such as murderers etc, prisoners have a good chance of finding themselves back in society in the near future.

Helping them to build skills/qualification bases will undoubtedly cut reoffending via showing compassion & being more employable.

In conjunction with reviewing rules on employment prospects for prisoners- a petty thief should not be permanently excluded from a job due to their record for example, we can make a real difference to the lives of people who often are victims of society themselves.

Besides, prison overcrowding is more to do with outlawing minor offences such as possession of narcotics which don't protect society from the big bad guys. Arguably, these people should be able to access free/cheap courses and skills workshops before they offend- why should people have to imprison themselves-or sign on- before they can access some help that they no longer can utilise?

A focus on free, quality further education for all in the form of government funded and backed, rigorously regulated MOOCs and night classes would help prisoners, would be prisoners, Joe Bloggs and wider society in general.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsKid)
    "For once"
    ...What about the Plastic bag levy a join Lib-Grn Party Bill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    ...What about the Plastic bag levy a join Lib-Grn Party Bill?
    As stated at the time, it was most dissatisfactory, going nowhere near far enough- maybe that was just the Liberal drag effect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsKid)
    As stated at the time, it was most dissatisfactory, going nowhere near far enough- maybe that was just the Liberal drag effect?
    Lol, I always used to underestimate how left wing you guys are until I actually looked up your parties ideology properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    Lol, I always used to underestimate how left wing you guys are until I actually looked up your parties ideology properly!
    I'm neither left nor right wing- left is only a best fit label.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely aye. We should change the role of prisons from punishment to rehabilitation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    Absolutely aye. We should change the role of prisons from punishment to rehabilitation.
    Why not make prisons be about both? It's unfair to deny justice to the victim if the criminal only receives rehabilitation. Punishment first, rehabilitation second. Do both.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.