Turn on thread page Beta

Best Laptop Brand for Student? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard of any Apple laptops blowing up, but I've heard of many of their batteries expanding and disfiguring the casing, however I've heard similar stories about most laptop makers, and in most cases, these incidences are very rare in comparison to the number of laptops actually sold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionelmtb)
    You just compared two different form factors, what's next? Compare a sports car to a van?

Please PM me examples of these, "blown up" Apple computers.
    Lol, i used the Macbook for comparison because the Macbook Pro is far more expensive.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2607

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1291

If you want ill go into Apple's own forums and find more examples.

edit: the equivalent macbook pro with a better gfx card is £1250 if you want to compare it with that (with student discount).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    I haven't heard of any Apple laptops blowing up, but I've heard of many of their batteries expanding and disfiguring the casing, however I've heard similar stories about most laptop makers, and in most cases, these incidences are very rare in comparison to the number of laptops actually sold.
    Exactly the point is, that it happens to a lot of manufacturers and isnt limited to Dell laptops which some people seem to believe.

ReputationRep:
    The first one is truely shocking for me, however the second one is invalid since it didn't burst into flames, isn't battery related and was caused by the owners cat peeing on it, literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost101)
    Exactly the point is, that it happens to a lot of manufacturers and isnt limited to Dell laptops which some people seem to believe.
    Your right, its mostly down to the manufacturers of the Lithium cell's themselfs.

Edit: Just give up comparing, you simply can't compare correctly feature for feature, Macbook's and Macbook Pro's *ARE* competitivly priced, full stop.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just seen youre other thread. The laptop i posted above for £789 has a core duo 2ghz cpu with 1gig of RAM, 80 gig hard drive and all your usual stuff, including a case and stuff.

Its certainly under the £1000 you couldnt find one for.

(Original post by specs)
    Base: Intel® Core ™ Duo Processor T2500 (2 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
    Microsoft Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 (incl Operating System Re-Installation CD)
    Cover It with Dell Support Services: Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    LCD: 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    Keyboard: Internal Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
    Memory: 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    Hard Drive: 80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
    CD/DVD Drives: Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW with Software
    Video Card: Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory

ReputationRep:
    The first one is truely shocking for me, however the second one is invalid since it didn't burst into flames, isn't battery related and was caused by the owners cat peeing on it, literally.

ReputationRep:
    Does it have the same build quality?

Does it have a built in web camera?

Does it have a 13.3" widescreen display?

Does it have magsafe?

Does it have front row?

I could go on, but i think i've made my point.

ReputationRep:
    ive got an acer 40gb, 1.7ghz centrino with 512mb ram and 15" for 500£.
    ive had it for 6months and so far its not gone wrong! i had a low budget and was glad to find this computer from pc world

ReputationRep:
    My Acer was great too, until a few months after the warrenty..

I'm sure you'll be fine though, this *was* an older model, celeron 1.133Ghz, 256 ram etc...

ReputationRep:
    Does it have the same build quality?

Does it have a built in web camera?

Does it have a 13.3" widescreen display?

Does it have magsafe?

Does it have front row?

I could go on, but i think i've made my point.
    Lol, you gonna prove to me better build quality? Just go into Apples own forums if you want to find problems.

Hmmm a web camera, how much does that cost people?

MCE would be the equivalent of Front Row.

Magsafe, what a great device that has probelms of overheating.

Fine, lets skip the 13.3" display and compare it with the £1250 15" macbook pro? Thats certainly like for like isnt it.

Lets riterate my point.

Normal laptop - £759
    slightly worse apple macbook - £870
    slightly better macbook pro - £1250

ReputationRep:
    second one is invalid since it didn't burst into flames, isn't battery related and was caused by the owners cat peeing on it, literally.
    You going to provide a valid source for that?

ReputationRep:
    What does the magsafe have to do with over heating exactly? :/
    It's the interface for the powercord BTW.

Yes it has better build quality, since it was built by Asus, want to complain about Asus build quality now? Your talking about a tiny percentage of quality control issues.

Does somone post on the apple forums when there Macbook/Pro works perfectly? I would guess not.

Now for the Macbook Pro.

Does it have a backlit keyboard?

Does it have Magsafe?

Does it have iSight?

Does it have an anodized metal casing that is more durable then ABS?

Does it have optical audio in and out?

Does it have the new 3/4 PC card slot?

Edit: I don't fancy trolling through forums for several hours to find a valid source, The point is it had nothing to do with the battery, it was one off, and didn't cause a fire.

ReputationRep:
    What does the magsafe have to do with over heating exactly? :/
    It's the interface for the powercord BTW.

Yes it has better build quality, since it was built by Asus, want to complain about Asus build quality now? Your talking about a tiny percentage of quality control issues.

Does somone post on the apple forums when there Macbook/Pro works perfectly? I would guess not.

Now for the Macbook Pro.

Does it have a backlit keyboard?

Does it have Magsafe?

Does it have iSight?

Does it have an anodized metal casing that is more durable then ABS?

Does it have optical audio in and out?

Does it have the new 3/4 PC card slot?
    Now lets ask all the nice people, is it worth upto £600 more?

ReputationRep:
    Ask the 4.7% of notebook users that are, using an Apple notebook.

Which by the way is a large chunk considering there's Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, Sony, Alienware, Mesh, IBM etc fighting for market share too.

Edit: Go trip over your laptop power cable, when it flies to the floor and shatters, ask yourself if even that single feature is worth the extra £600.

I'm done argueing, your point will never be made with the pathetic comparisons your making.

ReputationRep:
    The point is it had nothing to do with the battery, it was one off, and didn't cause a fire.
    The pictures suggest some extreme heat that could easily cause a fire even if one didnt happen.

Im not talking about batteries but build quality here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost101)
    The pictures suggest some extreme heat that could easily cause a fire even if one didnt happen.

Im not talking about batteries but build quality here.
    The guys cat freakin' pee'd on it, what do you expect? The laptop to say "Yum" through the speakers?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The guys cat freakin' pee'd on it, what do you expect? The laptop to say "Yum" through the speakers?
    Again you claim this with no source.

edit: not some random blog btw.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, i won't even bother.

When a few apple products goes haywire, its always over bloated.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.