Gay Imperial Watch

This discussion is closed.
z0mbie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tractatus I would just like to say that the people mouthing off here do not represent imperial as a whole from my experience. Regards.
flux_mag
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
religion is the root of all evil and suffering in the world........hey since we're making ignorant generalising comments I thought I'd chip in
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This is mainly addressed to Chinola; I think you're being a little mesled here and it's rather obvious you're not thinking out of your own lifetime span regarding these issues ...

- Yes, in World War II jews endured mass genecide; but this doesn't mean that the majority of people were pro jew-genecide. It was primarily Hitler and a small proportion of Arian Germans who pressed for it, the majority around the world weren't happy about mass murder of innocent people. Indeed, the same happens today and in recent times anyway; genecide, war and whatnot frequently occurs, it doesn't reflect the views of society as a whole necessarily, or at all. It reflects the actions and views of one or a few persons; western leaders.

- You morally can't knock someone for making a connection between paedophilia and homosexuality, just because it doesn't suit your morals. Homosexuality WAS viewed in a similar way to paedophilia, as little as twenty years ago. The fact that opinion is changing (albeit slower than you think) is a product of years of relentless campaigning and huge media stars revealing their homosexuality and pleading for acceptance. Without this, no progress would have been made along with little change in perception of paedophilia and homosexuality. Also, don't be so sure that our views on paedophiles won't change in the future; the lower the sex consent age becomes (as predicted), then it will slowly become more acceptable for a 30 year old to have sex with a 13 year old, for example. Don't mix paedophilia with child rape here, rape has never been widely accepted anyway.

- You shouldn't call someone biggoted for not having the same view as yours, because they're not much different to yourself in the grand scheme of things. Your view in particular, and many peoples' views, is mainly a product of what media has drilled into our minds along with turning us against out natural instincts. The main reason you think what you think is because you've been taught reasons for pro-homosexuality to be acceptable and have learnt to accept it as your official viewpoint on the topic. If your dad was in our society as a young man today and happened to be homosexually promiscuous, he'd probably be so and hence wouldn't have children. Therefore you wouldn't be alive, and don't pretend if someone put a gun to your head now and said 'your life is about to end, that you wouldn't care. Alternatively, you can think of this concept also as your dad feeling homosexual back in his youth days, but societal pressure of condemning homosexuality led to him having a family and children i.e.) including you. You might cure aids and cancer in the future for all we know, but even if you don't (that's irrelevant), you should be happy that you're alive and hence pro-creation for similar reasons.

- If everyone was homosexual, the human race would die it in a hundred years. So there's no reason to pretend that one's choice of being an active homosexual throughout his life is as carefree and purely individualist as you think it is; it has big affects on the human race, from pretty much whatever angle you look at it. It doesn't have to be from a religious viewpoint or from a pro-masculinity viewpoint for condemning it to be rather logical.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by z0mbie)
Tractatus I would just like to say that the people mouthing off here do not represent imperial as a whole from my experience. Regards.
I think you're talking rubbish, Imperial of all places, due to the wealth of its students and its ethnic diveristy, is bound to be more vocal, diverse and 'able' in giving its views on controversial issues such as homosexuality.

Most people I know, tend to have mixed and strong views on most big topics and they aren't afraid of saying what they really think. If you hang around with people with the same old attitude of repeating what school/media has printed or told them, then that's your call.

Look at the numbers of muslims and even agnostic middle easterns at Imperial (including myself) - You really think they'd generally be pro-homosexuality, and if not, even then be afraid of saying so? You are mistaken, definitely. You won't get the old western-world stereotypical white guy/girl scenario akin to 'you are a biggot, homosexuality is fine, the west are more developed and realise it unlike you and your crappy backward country'.

But then there are also the anglicized ones who are non-UK ethnically, who try to have the same opinions as many very westernized english people to fit in...

I say no more (for now).
~style
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok I know I said I won't post irrelative things in here again, but there we go.

Firstly;
(Original post by Nima)
muslims and even agnostic middle easterns at Imperial
Hey me too.

Secondly; Nima, your posts have been the best to read on this forum lol.

Thirdly; Well I will keep up to my promise partially so I won't make anymore irrelative points.
zertrudetrout
Report 12 years ago
But the fact is that not everyone is homosexual, so the human race can survive, and people can do as they please...
Chinola
Report 12 years ago
es, in World War II jews endured mass genecide; but this doesn't mean that the majority of people were pro jew-genecide. It was primarily Hitler and a small proportion of Arian Germans who pressed for it, the majority around the world weren't happy about mass murder of innocent people. Indeed, the same happens today and in recent times anyway; genecide, war and whatnot frequently occurs, it doesn't reflect the views of society as a whole necessarily, or at all. It reflects the actions and views of one or a few persons; western leaders.
Ermm.. Must inform you persecution of jews. That has happened since the rise of Christianity I'm afraid. Sorry but if you are to suggest that I am looking at my own time period I must correct you. You see, we must take into account the cullings of the Yiddish. The inquisiions work during the reconquista. The annual jew bashing events in medieval towns. The yellow triangles applied in society to point them out. The crucifixtion accusations as well as the defiling of the sacrament accusations. The list could continue. Lets just say public burnings etc. It is not a 2oth century invention, I would know I'm a Medieval History student.

On the question of paedophillia
You morally can't knock someone for making a connection between paedophilia and homosexuality, just because it doesn't suit your morals. Homosexuality WAS viewed in a similar way to paedophilia, as little as twenty years ago. The fact that opinion is changing (albeit slower than you think) is a product of years of relentless campaigning and huge media stars revealing their homosexuality and pleading for acceptance. Without this, no progress would have been made along with little change in perception of paedophilia and homosexuality. Also, don't be so sure that our views on paedophiles won't change in the future; the lower the sex consent age becomes (as predicted), then it will slowly become more acceptable for a 30 year old to have sex with a 13 year old, for example. Don't mix paedophilia with child rape here, rape has never been widely accepted anyway.
Ermmm firstly paedophillia only counts as such if it is concerning a sexually immature person, it then changes to rape or abuse cant remeber anyway. Secondly rape was accepted in some times, think Spartans etc. Incidentally homosexuality was accepted in the Greek World. Incidentally it seems there is a link between the rise of Yahweh and the dissaprovel of homosexuality. If we look again at the not so ancient past, 600 to 400 years ago, in fact paedophillia wasn't frowned upon, indeed girls did marry very early, yet homosexuals of a consenting age were punished. So in fact the point on paedophillia is invalid, asit is possible to view one differently to another. Tragically in the past I feel they got it the wrong way round. The current view of Homosexuality some still try and hold on to in Western society is that created by a conservative victorian age who frowned upon little more than a leg. However many counries in the easy have never had any form of toleration even today. Interestingly next to these countries (who are interestingly once again have a Yahweh fuelled society there has been an ancient openness to thge subject of homosexuality. To sum our current belief up I think we are once again allowing homosexuality (ever so slowly) in Western Society, and I think I could say today there is an even greater antagonism toward paedophillia (due to mass media coverage).

You shouldn't call someone biggoted for not having the same view as yours, because they're not much different to yourself in the grand scheme of things. Your view in particular, and many peoples' views, is mainly a product of what media has drilled into our minds along with turning us against out natural instincts. The main reason you think what you think is because you've been taught reasons for pro-homosexuality to be acceptable and have learnt to accept it as your official viewpoint on the topic. If your dad was in our society as a young man today and happened to be homosexually promiscuous, he'd probably be so and hence wouldn't have children. Therefore you wouldn't be alive, and don't pretend if someone put a gun to your head now and said 'your life is about to end, that you wouldn't care. Alternatively, you can think of this concept also as your dad feeling homosexual back in his youth days, but societal pressure of condemning homosexuality led to him having a family and children i.e.) including you. You might cure aids and cancer in the future for all we know, but even if you don't (that's irrelevant), you should be happy that you're alive and hence pro-creation for similar reasons.
*Laughs* Ahhh.. you see your one of those you wouldn't exist people. As we would be nothing it wouldn't matter, you know we'd never exist. So I dont buy that. Secondly maybe the media has got something to do with it. Though many conservative parts of the media are still not fully taken in. Secondly I'm not a sort to be taken by the media any way (I'm a Lib Dem, not much choice there). I myself belive in social liberalism, the right of the individual to express what they want, and be whom they want, as long is it doesn't intrude on any others. To be gay should not effect anybody else.
Interestingly enough if, as you accused me before of only living with 20th century views, it seems that most of what your arguing are views from at least one millenia ago and even more. Yahweh's views seep through you like a sieve think as a human for once. Make your own choices, I mean obviosly your an intelligent person if you go to Imperial.
The fact is you people are being biggoted on here. You dont seen me go onto a thread and go: "Cannite Baalism is an abomination" or "God thinks cheese is evil" or to that jist. I just dont comment. People can think what they think. But you should not be so judgemental to others if there was no antagonism in the first place. The poor person who placed the thread in the first place only wanted info, and many just jumped in with damnations and the like.

Finnally -

If everyone was homosexual, the human race would die it in a hundred years. So there's no reason to pretend that one's choice of being an active homosexual throughout his life is as carefree and purely individualist as you think it is; it has big affects on the human race, from pretty much whatever angle you look at it. It doesn't have to be from a religious viewpoint or from a pro-masculinity viewpoint for condemning it to be rather logical.
Crikey your one of those with that massive vision of legacy and such. The survivng human race and such. My answer to that is not everyone is homosexual and is that would ever happen. Secondly what be the problem if that was so? Why is it essential for mankind to go on forever and ever and ever... Anyway thats a subject you need not worry about, though your reaction suggests otherwise... Dont worry it wont happen
tinypony
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Some countries like China would benefit from having a larger homosexual population. They have serious demographic issues.
Ourkid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You people are seriously dumb - the guy asked what gay life at Imperial was like - not what the homosexual demographic profile of china was...

Jeez...

Old thread though so whatever.

Ourkid
Anarchy Everywhere
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
MUSLIM INVASION!!111

God I love the tolerancy of muslims, wp.
~style
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ooo lets reword our posts.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
From what I heard, Imperial and London are very tolerant places. Being a very large and multicultural city, London is definitely a place for everyone. I'm sure you will find more than enough activities for you.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
London is a great gay city - just stand outside Leics Sq tube; if my gaydar is functioning OK, then at least 50% of the pple passing out are gay !
xaxa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What about the sober ones?
NedZeppelin
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by -hybrid-)
Suicide bombing is only wrong if you kill women and children with it, but so is all other type of weapons, therefore its all in the same class.

But this has nothing to do with this thread so yea.
Yes, and killing innocent men is right. Now don't going on about retaliation for past crimes. For example, I don't see the Jews exterminating the Germans for what happened.

And for the nerve of some people to say homosexuality is wrong, and compare it with acts such as paedophilia, is ridiculous. No one has to agree with it and conform to it, it isn't a religion, it's someone's personal business.
~style
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NedZeppelin)
Yes, and killing innocent men is right.
Well obviously I meant all innocents in general, I just named women and children for some reason at the time which I forgot now. My point (clearly)was that suicide bombing can and should be regarded in the same manner as any other weapon.

Now don't going on about retaliation for past crimes. For example, I don't see the Jews exterminating the Germans for what happened.
I don't see where I 'went on' about that, if you somehow concluded it from any of my posts then accept my apology.
CapenCyber
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Comparing Paedophilia to Homosexuality is patently moronic. You have no right to say what consenting adults do in private.

I am glad that I have not come across anyone with such disgusting views at Imperial myself and hope that there are no people like that there.

Homophobia, like racism, is one thing that the world would be a lot better off without.
~style
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CapenCyber)
Comparing Paedophilia to Homosexuality is patently moronic. You have no right to say what consenting adults do in private.
Yea I kinda realised that a good number of months after posting it.

I am glad that I have not come across anyone with such disgusting views at Imperial myself and hope that there are no people like that there.
Yea I don't even go there, and probably won't meet my offer either.

Homophobia, like racism, is one thing that the world would be a lot better off without.
Personally, I think thats a comparison worse than my own.
CapenCyber
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally, I think thats a comparison worse than my own.
I don't. Not even close.
NedZeppelin
Report 11 years ago
I don't see where I 'went on' about that, if you somehow concluded it from any of my posts then accept my apology.
Sorry, it's just the general reply from other people I get in arguments such as this.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Are you chained to your phone?