Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tour de France Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattBerry96)
    Jens is not a random!!
    You know what I mean! Not doing it to go for the win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Been and gone.

Follow the BBC's live updates here, will keep you better informed than a forum
    I was busy with the F1 but has TSR open on a second screen anyway. Have it up on Eurosport on second screen. Bought the pass as it's cheap and they have a lot of good motorsport on there.

Jens will get the next climb then be eaten by the pack.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I like that it's come to Yorkshire, but I think it could be improved to reflect the rural nature of the area more accurately.
    They should have a farmer move his cattle across the road at some point, forcing the cyclists to stop and wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    I like that it's come to Yorkshire, but I think it could be improved to reflect the rural nature of the area more accurately.
    They should have a farmer move his cattle across the road at some point, forcing the cyclists to stop and wait.
    :lol:

I thought it did an aweosme job of showing the countryside up there. didn't realise it was so nice.

33km to go, Looking forward to the sprint finish.

Really want a Cavendish win as it would be awesome for him to have the yellow jersey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I thought it did an aweosme job of showing the countryside up there. didn't realise it was so nice.
    Think that's what most people watching will think (which was why the Yorkshire Tourism Board was so keen to have it), most won't be aware of just how good it looks, or just how much of it there is. With tomorrow's stage going through more of it and still barely scratching the surface of the counties.

ReputationRep:
    Well no more Tour for Cav, looks like a broken collarbone. Such a frantic finish!! Shame Cancellara couldn't hold on!

ReputationRep:
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

What an ending.

Such a shame for Cav and he's holding his collarbone. Not good.

Think that's what most people watching will think (which was why the Yorkshire Tourism Board was so keen to have it), most won't be aware of just how good it looks, or just how much of it there is. With tomorrow's stage going through more of it and still barely scratching the surface of the counties.
    They say this is brigning £100 million to Yorkshire and i can see why.

ReputationRep:
    That's an absolutely identical impact to one I had 2 years ago (albeit, mine was slightly slower). Full impact on one shoulder (mine was the left) and then a roll.

My result?

Broken collarbone. Tour over for Cav.

(Original post by Motorbiker)
    They say this is brigning £100 million to Yorkshire and i can see why.
    Easily. Quarter of a million in Leeds city centre this morning, probably same again all along the route, and then tens of thousands in Harrogate.

And there's still tomorrow to go...

ReputationRep:
    I literally saw the last 800 metres when I got home from work, so disappointed for Cav, unfortunately it was his fault and has therefore apologized which is important I think. Obviously the incentive of win got to him a little.

Kittel is the now the fastest in the world now so I'm not suprised he won, Froome in 6th though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNacho63)
    I literally saw the last 800 metres when I got home from work, so disappointed for Cav, unfortunately it was his fault and has therefore apologized which is important I think. Obviously the incentive of win got to him a little.

Kittel is the now the fastest in the world now so I'm not suprised he won, Froome in 6th though
    I don't think Cav is completely to blame. Cav, Gerrans and Coquard were all leaning against each other so I'm not surprised there was a crash. Sure, Cav was going for a gap that in reality did not exist and should take a large portion of the blame but at the end of the day it was a sprint so these things inevitably happen.

I was also surprised with Froome!! if any of the Sky guys was going for it I would have been Thomas. I can't wait till tomorrows stage, I recon it could be one of the best of the Tour.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Cav is completely to blame. Cav, Gerrans and Coquard were all leaning against each other so I'm not surprised there was a crash. Sure, Cav was going for a gap that in reality did not exist and should take a large portion of the blame but at the end of the day it was a sprint so these things inevitably happen.

I was also surprised with Froome!! if any of the Sky guys was going for it I would have been Thomas. I can't wait till tomorrows stage, I recon it could be one of the best of the Tour.
    Coquard and Gerrans kept their lines, Cav obviously was to eager to get through, I don't blame him by the way, I guess thats the nature of sprinting.

I got a fiver on 20/1 on Valverde to win the stage which has been compared to Liege-Bastogne-Liege and Amstel. Sagan will probably take the stage however and take over Yellow, Green and White.

Awesome to see Voigt in the BOTD today and hopefully we can see him in that Polka dot for longer but if he isnt in the break tomorrow that won't be the case.

Cancellara seems to be in good condition, will be interesting to see him go on the cobbles of stage 5!

ReputationRep:
    Will be at the start (well, about two miles into the route) tomorrow morning. Thinking I need to head there early to get a spot with a half decent view.

ReputationRep:
    Coquard and Gerrans kept their lines, Cav obviously was to eager to get through, I don't blame him by the way, I guess thats the nature of sprinting.

I got a fiver on 20/1 on Valverde to win the stage which has been compared to Liege-Bastogne-Liege and Amstel. Sagan will probably take the stage however and take over Yellow, Green and White.

Awesome to see Voigt in the BOTD today and hopefully we can see him in that Polka dot for longer but if he isnt in the break tomorrow that won't be the case.

Cancellara seems to be in good condition, will be interesting to see him go on the cobbles of stage 5!
    I wanted Gerro to take the stage tomorrow as I have him in my fantasy team but that doesn't look too likely now! I also think Sagan will get the win but if Gerro isn't up for it maybe Orica will let Simon Yates have a go?

Yeah hopefully he keeps it tomorrow then he will be in it until the mountains come. I think there should be a new rule where there has to be at least 5 minutes of interviews with Jens! he is by far my favourite rider!!

Very good condition! the power he must have been producing in the last few meters must have been insane!! Sep Vanmarcke was up their in 8th today so if he and Cancellara are going well it could get very interesting!!

ReputationRep:
    I wanted Gerro to take the stage tomorrow as I have him in my fantasy team but that doesn't look too likely now! I also think Sagan will get the win but if Gerro isn't up for it maybe Orica will let Simon Yates have a go?

Yeah hopefully he keeps it tomorrow then he will be in it until the mountains come. I think there should be a new rule where there has to be at least 5 minutes of interviews with Jens! he is by far my favourite rider!!

Very good condition! the power he must have been producing in the last few meters must have been insane!! Sep Vanmarcke was up their in 8th today so if he and Cancellara are going well it could get very interesting!!
    Hmm, it's difficult to say, he lost some skin but seems okay if not I think Albasini will go for the stage, might be just outside Yates capabilities at the moment.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/...4_Stage_1_Sion
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/...age_3_Montreux
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/...age_4_Fribourg

(Great site btw )

Yep Voigt is an awesome character, what the sports needs, what every sport needs lets be honest. Truely honest professional and warm person, you cannot dislike him.

I thought about Sep, hopefully he gets his revenge on Cancellara. I thought this might be his year in the cobble classics but didn't quite happen despite being very strong, maybe as strong as Fabian.

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be a new rule where there has to be at least 5 minutes of interviews with Jens! he is by far my favourite rider!!
    Yep Voigt is an awesome character, what the sports needs, what every sport needs lets be honest. Truely honest professional and warm person, you cannot dislike him.
    I was thinking the same about Benedict Cumberbatch's older brother (David Millar) today, came across very well despite the hurt he must/should be feeling. Great coup by ITV.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it's difficult to say, he lost some skin but seems okay if not I think Albasini will go for the stage, might be just outside Yates capabilities at the moment.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/...4_Stage_1_Sion
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/...age_3_Montreux
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/...age_4_Fribourg

(Great site btw )

I thought about Sep, hopefully he gets his revenge on Cancellara. I thought this might be his year in the cobble classics but didn't quite happen despite being very strong, maybe as strong as Fabian.
    He did go down hard though so I would imagine he is going be pretty sore and bruised in the morning. Oh yeah I completely forgot about Albasini! he is definitely a contender. Might be outside Yates's capabilities but then both Simon and Adam have been surprises this season.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the same about Benedict Cumberbatch's older brother (David Millar) today, came across very well despite the hurt he must/should be feeling. Great coup by ITV.
    Yep one of the good people again in the sport. He's had his problems but I think he's done everything he can to rectify. I'm disappointed his isn't picked, especially for Jack Bauer but he hasn't done really anything to cement a place before hand. I don't think Talansky will ever find himself in yellow so they probably won't miss his motor on the flat.

He did go down hard though so I would imagine he is going be pretty sore and bruised in the morning. Oh yeah I completely forgot about Albasini! he is definitely a contender. Might be outside Yates's capabilities but then both Simon and Adam have been surprises this season.
    Yep the Yates have been so impressive, two of my favourite riders already. I much rather cheer them on than Froome and Wiggins when they are in sulky or arrogant mode.

ReputationRep:
    Yep one of the good people again in the sport. He's had his problems but I think he's done everything he can to rectify. I'm disappointed his isn't picked, especially for Jack Bauer but he hasn't done really anything to cement a place before hand. I don't think Talansky will ever find himself in yellow so they probably won't miss his motor on the flat.

Yep the Yates have been so impressive, two of my favourite riders already. I much rather cheer them on than Froome and Wiggins when they are in sulky or arrogant mode.
    They will certainly miss Millar's experience though. Only a handful of guys can perform the role of road captain as well as Millar. That said I think he is going to be brilliant as a pundit for ITV.

Yeah I would rather support the Yates twins. I don't think it will be too long before we will be supporting them in their bid to win a grand tour!

ReputationRep:
    They will certainly miss Millar's experience though. Only a handful of guys can perform the role of road captain as well as Millar. That said I think he is going to be brilliant as a pundit for ITV.

Yeah I would rather support the Yates twins. I don't think it will be too long before we will be supporting them in their bid to win a grand tour!
    I agree with that.

Yeah Adam Yates hopefully, lets hope Simon focuses on the monuments as I don't think he is an out and out climber, Being in the same as team as Gerrans is great. I think he will be our Gerrans.

ReputationRep:
    Watched part of the coverage yesterday. The scenes on the way up to the top of one of the hills (Buttercups?) was crazy. Didn't think there'd be such huge crowds. Great to see!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.