Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mature35)
    I'm studying access to he business and have already downloaded the course info but obviously don't know which units I'll be doing yet, still I've been reading up on some of the topics already and will continue doing so over the summer. I'll be honest and say that I'm not the best at sticking to timetables, but I hate leaving things to last minute. I tend to get stuck in straight away and won't stop till I'm pretty much done. I already know I'll be studying whilst my sons at school and when he goes to bed so that I have time with him at weekends and can help him with school work etc after school. Involving him in it sounds like a good idea but with it being business I'm going to have to think up some ideas on how to do it.

Im sure you'll be fine as your just really studying one subject. And its a good idea to devote weekend time to family and have a break from work.

ReputationRep:
    Hey fellow student parents I have two little ones who are 6 and 4! I start uni in October and need to re sit some of my GCSE's which im hoping to do by self teaching which is going to be hard any way without little ones distracting me.. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurdlesToJump)
    Hey fellow student parents I have two little ones who are 6 and 4! I start uni in October and need to re sit some of my GCSE's which im hoping to do by self teaching which is going to be hard any way without little ones distracting me.. x
    How can you do distance learning GCSE? I need my English but was looking at a course for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathyowen04)
    How can you do distance learning GCSE? I need my English but was looking at a course for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm hoping to self teach then privately sit the exams. Basically from what i've read it's looking up the curriculum of the subject and studying that n doing part papers till I'm confident to sit the exams. I can't do college because of work n childcare commitments and I can't pay for them right now either. Wish me luck lol xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The sane mummy in me says I can do this.
    There's possibility of asking to move groups so I can fit In 3 longer days rather than 2 long 2 short.
    Lot independent reading
    Then there's the rational mummy that says im letting my kids down I can't do it. Suppose children come with lot of guilt x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm 26 with a little boy who is 2
    I've previously completed two years of uni but had to leave due to having my son and I couldn't find somewhere to live to complete my degree.
    I am hoping to return to university next September to finish my degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurdlesToJump)
    I'm hoping to self teach then privately sit the exams. Basically from what i've read it's looking up the curriculum of the subject and studying that n doing part papers till I'm confident to sit the exams. I can't do college because of work n childcare commitments and I can't pay for them right now either. Wish me luck lol xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Best of luck, though you'll not need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jolene1986)
    The sane mummy in me says I can do this.
    There's possibility of asking to move groups so I can fit In 3 longer days rather than 2 long 2 short.
    Lot independent reading
    Then there's the rational mummy that says im letting my kids down I can't do it. Suppose children come with lot of guilt x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Regardless of this course, every time I go into bed at night and check on my two I get the biggest lump of guilt. I question everything I've done throughout that day "was I too hard on them today?" "did I handle that situation right?" "am I a good mum?" - so I guess I can just add "should I be doing this course?" to the list! lol!!

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my first year of uni. I'm doing Criminology and Psychology and I have a 2 year old, with baby number 2 due next month .
    I have loved the course so far, finished my first year with 3 1st and 3 2:1. In my second semester I discovered I was pregnant and that my baby was ill. He was given a 5% chance of being healthy originally and it was hell. The uni was really supportive and offered me a lot of support and automatic extensions, but I didn't use them and finished my semester with flying colours. I'm really proud for doing that as I would of given up back in my teens.
    And thank god, my little one has a 99.95% of being healthy when born . I found out the week after my final exams.
    If you are determined, you can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a 30yr old mum of three: 9, 8 and 6. At 18 I was more interested in travelling, so left uni after just a couple of weeks, thinking I can re enter next year. Didn't happen! I just got a conditional offer for education degree, full time. I feel ready but also terrified whether I'll manage. I'm worried the course will coincide with my kids school hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsx512)
    I've just finished my first year of uni. I'm doing Criminology and Psychology and I have a 2 year old, with baby number 2 due next month .
    I have loved the course so far, finished my first year with 3 1st and 3 2:1. In my second semester I discovered I was pregnant and that my baby was ill. He was given a 5% chance of being healthy originally and it was hell. The uni was really supportive and offered me a lot of support and automatic extensions, but I didn't use them and finished my semester with flying colours. I'm really proud for doing that as I would of given up back in my teens.
    And thank god, my little one has a 99.95% of being healthy when born . I found out the week after my final exams.
    If you are determined, you can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is an example of learning miracle It is your self-motivation, study late in the night... I wish you all the best
    I am 31 and in this academic year I did As business, and fast track A level mathematics. I had to resit A-levels as mine are too old I thought that I will go on College to finish A level in this year but I have received an offer from QMUL on open day. If I will have A in Math this year they will take me this September. Ok, now my summer time is like a hell, checking every hour: do I have an A? or no?? I hope that I have
    I have 2 kids in home: 9 years old and 4 years old. Learning full time is really hard especially that I feel guilty that I haven't got enough time for them. Especially before exams. But I see that my children are proud that mummy is learning, and my older son used to say "mummy I want go on college/university like you". Good, as I hope that they will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureIsGood:)))
    This is an example of learning miracle It is your self-motivation, study late in the night... I wish you all the best
    I am 31 and in this academic year I did As business, and fast track A level mathematics. I had to resit A-levels as mine are too old I thought that I will go on College to finish A level in this year but I have received an offer from QMUL on open day. If I will have A in Math this year they will take me this September. Ok, now my summer time is like a hell, checking every hour: do I have an A? or no?? I hope that I have
    I have 2 kids in home: 9 years old and 4 years old. Learning full time is really hard especially that I feel guilty that I haven't got enough time for them. Especially before exams. But I see that my children are proud that mummy is learning, and my older son used to say "mummy I want go on college/university like you". Good, as I hope that they will.
    I've found dedicating time really helps, not just to studying but to my son and hubby too. Organisation is important and learnt it just in the past year, I was so unorganised before uni lol, but I still want to be a mum. And I fitted all that in with 2 volunteering jobs lol.
    That must be great to hear your son say that , you are showing him that learning is important and it will spur him on too. Gosh I know what you mean by constant checking, I've done the same with my uni results. Luckily they get marked quicker at uni, but good luck! I'm sure you would of done well and either way, your kids will be proud

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 31 year old father of two. 5 and 7. Starting an Access In Computing Septemeber. I've been quite nervous about starting to be honest. Wondering if I'm too old and whether I can handle all the work. I have my wife for support and also have 3 step children plus mum etc. Also along with the access, I have to do GCSE Maths and English. I've never done an exam in my life. Younger school days wasn't the best tbh. I'll make as much time as I can for family, but hopefully, one day when I graduate, they will be there watching and proud of me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

It's great to hear from Mum's and Dad's that are doing so well! I am Mummy to two boys aged 8 and 2. I have just completed a BTEC Diploma and I am starting a degree in September at Chester! Really excited but also really nervous!!! Just glad I have a wonderful and supportive husband and family to get me through it.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick note to say thanks for the supportive messages and thanks for sharing your stories, it gives me hope and inspiration about going back into education. After all, if others can make a success of this then why can't we. To those having doubts, don't beat yourselves up too much about it, we're all doing this for our kids future as well as our own and if educating ourselves makes us happier then surely we'll be better people for our kids to be around. Try to remember that we all have doubts and bad days, it doesn't make it any easier but just shows that we're human, show me the perfect parent and I'll show you an alien.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsx512)
    I've found dedicating time really helps, not just to studying but to my son and hubby too. Organisation is important and learnt it just in the past year, I was so unorganised before uni lol, but I still want to be a mum. And I fitted all that in with 2 volunteering jobs lol.
    That must be great to hear your son say that , you are showing him that learning is important and it will spur him on too. Gosh I know what you mean by constant checking, I've done the same with my uni results. Luckily they get marked quicker at uni, but good luck! I'm sure you would of done well and either way, your kids will be proud

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I tried to dedicate my sons and hubby time during school half-terms, but before exams I couldn't do it. A level you must pass on 80 UMS minimum hence it's a lot of study. On University I hope that every school half-term I will able to enjoy with my family. Also maybe I will able to find any work, as in this year I did a little to be honest. I worked as a volunteer till March then I needed to drop it because of Physics. I did also As Physics but I dropped it entirely before exam. I had on my final mock D,E even if I learned a lot. 60 % of my time I spent on subject that I hated and that I tried to do it. Why? Who knows? That was my mistake. And basically 3 days before exam I gone to student office and dropped the subject. I knew that if I willn't do it in the best situation I will have D. So I know that on University I will have less contact hours. I will really happy when I will on University doing only subject that I love and willn't need to waste the time.

ReputationRep:
    46 -Studying Fine Art BA in Yorkshire. I have 4 great kids, one with Aspergers, and learning disabilities.

I'm actually seriously considering leaving before year 2 starts in Sept.

It's not the work load, that's okay, it's more the very relaxed attitude towards us students in general, they're so vague when asked "so, when does the teaching begin?" There's never an answer. I feel robbed!

There is NO teaching.
    Wow, I'm on such a huge downer, I thought after spending the first year thinking "what is just going on here?" I'd have come to some decision to either leave or stay, but I'm scared in case I regret leaving.
    I loved creativity before I attended Uni, now I practically have very little regard for it. My head feels frazzled, the mental energy that i put into my first year was hell. Some bits I enjoyed, most I really disliked. I'd come home most days in tears, the strain and expectation of tutors, plodding through pointless projects that they'd never look at, and visiting incredibly boring galleries with my amazingly short attention span was becoming painful.
    Although my effort secured some excellent grades, it was all a farce. Having spoken to a few of the students on various similar courses, I was shocked to find out that they felt the same.
    I am incredibly self motivated, can I not do my own thing without a degree?

Not sure who to chat to. I'm guessing tutors will say much to keep you on the course, so I'm reluctant to head down that road.
    I do suffer terribly from anxiety and panic attacks, this is starting to hit my family life in a negative way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorthyorkgIrl)
    46 -Studying Fine Art BA in Yorkshire. I have 4 great kids, one with Aspergers, and learning disabilities.

I'm actually seriously considering leaving before year 2 starts in Sept.

It's not the work load, that's okay, it's more the very relaxed attitude towards us students in general, they're so vague when asked "so, when does the teaching begin?" There's never an answer. I feel robbed!

There is NO teaching.
    Wow, I'm on such a huge downer, I thought after spending the first year thinking "what is just going on here?" I'd have come to some decision to either leave or stay, but I'm scared in case I regret leaving.
    I loved creativity before I attended Uni, now I practically have very little regard for it. My head feels frazzled, the mental energy that i put into my first year was hell. Some bits I enjoyed, most I really disliked. I'd come home most days in tears, the strain and expectation of tutors, plodding through pointless projects that they'd never look at, and visiting incredibly boring galleries with my amazingly short attention span was becoming painful.
    Although my effort secured some excellent grades, it was all a farce. Having spoken to a few of the students on various similar courses, I was shocked to find out that they felt the same.
    I am incredibly self motivated, can I not do my own thing without a degree?

Not sure who to chat to. I'm guessing tutors will say much to keep you on the course, so I'm reluctant to head down that road.
    I do suffer terribly from anxiety and panic attacks, this is starting to hit my family life in a negative way.
    Not sure who too but If there's a problem with the teaching then you should be able to complain to someone. As for going back or not thats complicated, what are you hoping to do with your degree and is it possible without one, how is it affecting your family life and is it possible to change things so that it becomes easier to stay in education whilst making things better at home? I don't think anyone can give you the answers that you need, these are things you have to decide for yourself, but you definitely need some support and advice. Have you talked to your family about these issues? I'm not sure who you can turn to but perhaps there is help through the student union, maybe they could advise you who to turn to. The one thing is to not stay quiet about this and don't think you have to deal with this on your own, the help is out there you just need to keep looking for it. Sorry I can't be more helpful, hope it works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your interest in my post Mature35.
    I've since had a chat with family members, they all seem to think that maybe I'm too absorbed with the workload, trying almost to "out do" myself..

I heard once that mature students often burn themselves out during such academic years, could be that I took this way too seriously, and in exchange suffered in a negative way.

My daughter who is a mindful soul, told me never to give up, I should go back in Sept and wrap myself in a bubble. Do what feels good, anything else doesn't matter.. so I might just do that.

I want to wish EVERYONE on here the best during their academic periods, you're all doing fantastic!
    All the best x

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm 37 and have a 14 year old and a 10 year old. I have just finished my first year at uni and though it has been a struggle at times it has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. However I could not of got through it without the support of my husband especially at exam times.

I just wanted to say how fantastic it is that more people are returning to study and wish everyone the best of luck. I have been told a few times now that mature students tend to do well at uni because they are more driven to succeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.