Turn on thread page Beta

Top ten books, I should, and have always wanted to read, but haven't. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yes i utterly agree i am reading one hundred years of solitude at the moment, nearly finished it now and i have enjoyed every single sentence.

One book on my list is Joseph Andrews by Henry Fielding.

ReputationRep:
    My advice to anyone who believes they ought to have read Lord of the Rings but hasn't, or didn't finish it, is don't bother. I am actually something of a fan; (I've read it, hmm, 4 times?) but I fully appreciate that a LOT of people don't like it/will not like it. It annoys me to see people torturing themselves reading what they don't want to!

As to myself, there aren't really any specific books I feel I ought to have read (though doubtless there are some out there that I should read), but there are three big authors (George Elliot, Henry James, DH Lawrence) of whom I have read approximately nothing so far (though I'm halfway through GE's Silas Marner) and want to rectify this.

I noticed a lot of people list War & Peace - it's a damn good book, but Anna Karenina is even better, as well as being a bit shorter. I heartilly recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catat)
    same happened to me reading 1984 - read the vast majority of it but ran out of steam before the end, and haven't ever finished it

Lord of the Rings is better if you read it slowly - makes it seem more epic, and alot less rushed than the films

My curent wish list:
    Catcher in the Rye
    Pixel Juice
    Jude the Obscure
    The Meaning of Liff
    Animal Farm
    Read all the Orwell novels if you can.......they're all great.

According to my mum:
    Gone With The Wind
    Jane Eyre
    Catcher In The Rye
    Th English Patient

In my defence, I'm only little! :hmpf:
    *will think of 5 more soon*

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.