Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does filtering London tap water make it taste any better? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lol **** thought it was just me who thought this, I go through so much to avoid drinking tap water at my london place, including going out of my way to find the water coolers at uni to fill up large bottles

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it does. Had a Brita water filter a few years ago, and it there was a very noticeable difference in the quality of the water (and I live in London).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DouglasAdams)
    This is a bit complicated because "taste better" is quite person-specific.

Generally though, it is the ions within water which give water "taste" beyond its pure, distilled flavour. Most people are of the opinion that water containing a great number of ions tastes better.
    But then there is the complication of regions. On the whole, the South of England gets more ions in its water than the North and most people from the South, as well as neutrals, will tell you that for this reason their water tastes better. Obviously London is part of the South. However, the consensus in the North seems to be that they prefer water with minimal ions, although this may be because they have been brought up on such water.

So if you are looking with water containing "taste" London will have some of the best water. However, if you prefer pure, or distilled water with an absence of ions or "taste" (you can get an idea if you've ever visited a city like Newcastle and tried the water there), then filtering will certainly make your tap water taste better for you.
    No one I know prefers the taste of water in the South, literally no one :\ even those who grew up here.

I want my water without the buttholey taste thanks. I mean Bristol was just about bearable, but this is something else! Probably to do with it being recycled and chlorinated. Yick. Fluorine all the way!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Lol the plastic bottle that holds the water?
    Ohh so it's about the plastic?
    Well...thermal container

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Bottles water comes in plastic bottles?
    Is that the issue? Are we talking quality of water orrr plastic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Lol **** thought it was just me who thought this, I go through so much to avoid drinking tap water at my london place, including going out of my way to find the water coolers at uni to fill up large bottles
    I've started getting the bought ice out the freezer and melting it :\

But! Its not as bad ice cold! So I'm keeping a jug in the fridge, which makes it drinkable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyanaRulesz)
    Is that the issue? Are we talking quality of water orrr plastic?
    Plastic! Its the worst thing for the environment in the world! It takes millions of years to break down and it pollutes to make it. It also makes up a ridiculous amount of debris in the sea, which kill millions of seabirds, fish and marine mammals every year.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Because seriously I'm going to die of dehydration soon, so thirsty but the water tastes like a monkeys butthole. I've been living off beer for 2 weeks. And now there's no beer left
    :yep: it has always tasted strange, we always buy bottled water (which we recycle), but seeing as you're against that option, you'll have to settle with a water filter. It should help remove that taste:afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Most people just get used to it, stop complaining at least you have water

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    But so sooo good for your tastebuds :coma:
    Still no Birmingham tap water.

ReputationRep:
    No one I know prefers the taste of water in the South, literally no one :\ even those who grew up here.

I want my water without the buttholey taste thanks. I mean Bristol was just about bearable, but this is something else! Probably to do with it being recycled and chlorinated. Yick. Fluorine all the way!!!
    Well if you prefer water in the North filter it to make it taste better!

ReputationRep:
    Plastic! Its the worst thing for the environment in the world! It takes millions of years to break down and it pollutes to make it. It also makes up a ridiculous amount of debris in the sea, which kill millions of seabirds, fish and marine mammals every year.
    Never though bout that m8 lol
    Soooo we can buy it just...not in plastic? Does that exist..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovingislosing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but I can't drink it without feeling sick. Seriously boiled iodized Amazon water tastes better -_- and I would know!

ReputationRep:
    Never though bout that m8 lol
    Soooo we can buy it just...not in plastic? Does that exist..?
    Get a filter and filter your tap water. Same effect. Most bottled water is just filtered tapwater anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovingislosing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but there are ppl who don't have h20 and that is horrible yes but we still deserve quality tooooo.

ReputationRep:
    Still no Birmingham tap water.
    Still no Evian. I've swam in Evian before.

ReputationRep:
    Get a filter and filter your tap water. Same effect. Most bottled water is just filtered tapwater anyway.
    How much would that cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    :yep: it has always tasted strange, we always buy bottled water (which we recycle), but seeing as you're against that option, you'll have to settle with a water filter. It should help remove that taste:afraid:
    I really hope so!

London tap water has enough estrogen in it to turn fish hermaphrodite there's a fun fact for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Still no Evian. I've swam in Evian before.
    I don't really like evian. Birmingham tap water - which comes from Wales, and the water from Harrogate are my favourites.

ReputationRep:
    How much would that cost?
    20 ish quid plus replacement cartridges.

So I imagine much less than bottled water.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.