• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I also feel this would just harm some of the normal users trying to sign up. Most of them come from googling a question and finding a thread existing for it, and want to sign up quickly to respond. Adding that little extra step will definitely put some people off.

It's my understanding that you need to authenticate your email after you first sign up to keep posting anyway? I know someone who made their account and gave up because her email was found invalid and she just gave up. :dontknow:

(Original post by Dumachi)
    Is it possible to force javascript on the registration page because that would eliminate the TOR browser? (not totally sure, sounds plausible in theory)

Believe this is already the case, there's a slide to prove you're human bar.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I also feel this would just harm some of the normal users trying to sign up. Most of them come from googling a question and finding a thread existing for it, and want to sign up quickly to respond. Adding that little extra step will definitely put some people off.

It's my understanding that you need to authenticate your email after you first sign up to keep posting anyway? I know someone who made their account and gave up because her email was found invalid and she just gave up. :dontknow:
    No you don't have to confirm email you can actually do stupid **** like this mate:

Username: haha331
    password: 1
    email: [email protected]

I've tested it.

and never need to confirm, sure it would be a problem for a long term user that might need to reset there password.

But for a troll, its like handing the keys of your BMW to a complete stranger for the lol. Its that easy to just reg flood loads of accounts and cause utter mayhem.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Believe this is already the case, there's a slide to prove you're human bar.

http://i.imgur.com/vJNCEWb.jpg

A bit slower yeah because of confirm email, but even allowing Tor here is very bad idea you can click on a button to change your ip at freewill, there is unlimited ips you can change too.

PS: Sorry for double quote.

ReputationRep:
    when reading a thread it's quite common now to find there are significant numbers of banned posters

if you're not going to verify accounts and admit that its all very very easy to hop onto another account then why not enable guest posting and be done with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Integrating facebook, google+ and/or even twitter as a way of signing up would be a good idea, i've seen forums utilizing this.
    I generally use Google+ for everything these days. I don't use G+ as a social media tool, it's just an aggregator for my online activities.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    This used to be the case, yes, but appears no longer to be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.