Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    It's not like I'm writing an autobiography. I'm just stating what got me interested in the course. But I will definitely keep your advice in mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Look in the personal statement library on here and see how other people have opened theirs, it should help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solivagant)
    Look in the personal statement library on here and see how other people have opened theirs, it should help
    I have. Haha. I just recently changed my mind on the course, and I'm finding this much easier than with what I originally was going to apply for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I read one real one which started something like:

"My father is a railway porter and my mother does cleaning part time. I would like to study Mathematics at Trinity College, Cambridge. "

Certainly gets the interest levels up right off the bat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    I read one real one which started something like:

"My father is a railway porter and my mother does cleaning part time. I would like to study Mathematics at Trinity College, Cambridge. "

Certainly gets the interest levels up right off the bat.
    Hahaha. Clever of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Honestly, the admissions tutors don't care about your childhood. They want to know why you're interested now, not why you were interested as a child.

Admissions tutors have heard every opening before. Unless you've led a very interesting life, you're not going to impress them with an opening sentence. You can simply start with 'I am interested in [subject] because...' and still produce a personal statement that's stronger than 95% of other ones.
    This, this, this. So much this.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golden tribe)
    what do you do you think of starting with a quote from a famous economist or a question
    Hiya

I'm on UCAS Adviser training this week and we spoke about this yesterday.

They advised that admissions tutors don't necessarily object but this kind of thing is very common place, it's not original in the slightest!

If you use any kind of quote it needs to be absolutely relevant. You need to think very carefully about using your characters up on this - is it really necessary? Is it original? What are you trying to get across by using the quote in the first place.

The key piece of feedback from Admissions across the board to UCAS is that they want to see evidence in your PS that you are able to critically engage with the subject you wish to study.
    In more detail they want to see that you are able to apply your learning and take it that one step further, that you are managing your learning and broadening your knowledge and then able to reflect upon this. Ultimately let them know that you know your stuff!

When you review your first PS draft read it from an admissions tutor perspective in mind. Why will they find what you have to say interesting.... will they care! Relevance, knowledge and passion is important - it's a very delicate balance.

Most importantly - be you! I always write so much more eloquently when I'm writing truthfully about what is important to me or what I care about. It sounds very cheesy but be your authentic self, just write down whatever comes to mind, get it all down and then start to edit.

UCAS also gave us these tips:

- PS needs to have evidence of student having researched what it is they want to study
    - Grammatically accurate
    - Strong demonstration of reflective thinking
    - Statements need to be supported by evidence.

They want to understand your motivations, aspirations and see your commitment. They love to be part of your plan and employability after uni is very important for universities so share with them how you think your study and plans for university will open up opportunities for a career later down the line.

I really hope this helps

SR.

ReputationRep:
    Don't say things like 'Since I was a child...' or 'From a young age...' or 'I first developed an interest in...when...'. I went to a presentation at UCL about personal statement writing and they made it clear that they don't care how long you've been interested in the subject, or what made you interested it (unless you can make it relevant and interesting) - they just want it to be clear that you are passionate about your subject and have done further reading and/or gained work experience to prove that passion. Tell them why you want to study that subject and why they should want you to study the subject at their university. Also, don't use words like 'passionate' - you need to prove your passion, not state it. And avoid trying to be funny - not all admissions staff appreciate jokes and puns so it is best to avoid them. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golden tribe)
    i want to read economics and politics, how can i start my personal statement in an interesting manner that intrigues the admission tutors. I hear all sorts of opening lines from questions to quotes, but how can i make mine an absolute head gripper.

also what to include in the personal statement

thanks
    I made a mind map of important point or things i wanted to include and then sort of expanded them separately. But bar oxbridge and medicine i only know 1 person who actually got a single rejection from uni. Obviously depends where you apply, but i wouldn't freak out too much over the personal statement. If you have the right predicted grades or close to them they seem to be prepared to give you a go.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it's definitely best to focus on the rest of the statement first!

Find some areas that you're really interested in, and do some research into them in your space time. Read some books, whatever!
    This means when it comes to writing, you'll actually feel confident talking about this area and if you apply somewhere that does interviews - can talk about it in person.

Once you're finished, go back and try a couple of different ways of starting. Get friends, tutors etc to read them and work out which reads the best.
    I'd say avoid using quotes, personal experiences are fine as long as they aren't too wacky or far-fetched.

ReputationRep:
    I want to read economics and politics because (..why does it interest you, what specific topics interest you the most about the subject and why, what you hope to get out of the degree, career aspirations,)

No bull****ting, get straight to the point, son.

ReputationRep:
    Say you want to study your chosen subject instead of read it because they will think you are cool & down to earth.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who applied for Economics and began their PS with a Forrest Gump quote!

ReputationRep:
    Top Tip used by barristers : Make the first and last sentence in each paragraph really powerful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.