The Student Room Group

Should I start work for A-levels now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Id start now, Im studying for my SATs now, also Eng lit isn't a real subject, I would do about 4 hours a day at least, you will be so ahead of the game later on.

SATs? Weren't they scrapped years ago?
Original post by Groundearth
Excuse me? English lit is a real subject; Oxford and Cambridge have entire degrees in it, and it's one of the oldest and most respected subjects in the world. It's seen as a great A-level by Oxbridge, LSE, etc.

lmao what ever gets you through the night. Lets all do A Levels in Eng Lit and do a masters in Starbucks nomsaying.

Anyway statistically speaking students studying English at uni have lower total grades on average then those doing real subjects like languages,maths,engineering,econ etc.

English @ A Level = Road to nowhere

And no I will not excuse you lmao.

Respected by who, please tell me any billionaires who studied English.

English is for those who have lower grades in their other subjects, such true :smile:
Original post by Dani California
SATs? Weren't they scrapped years ago?

No, the US SATS, done more commonly by US students in high school.
No, the US SATS, done more commonly by US students in high school.

Oh, apologies. I'm English, we used to have something by the same name.
Maths, chemistry, biology, Spanish and English lit.

Not necessary at all, but easens the workload over the course of the year. For maths, it's all about practice so if you're starting it now that's good. It's possible to learn C1 (1/3 of course) in a month at a slow-pace.
lmao what ever gets you through the night. Lets all do A Levels in Eng Lit and do a masters in Starbucks nomsaying.

Anyway statistically speaking students studying English at uni have lower total grades on average then those doing real subjects like languages,maths,engineering,econ etc.

English is for those who have lower grades in their other subjects, such true :smile:

English at A-level gets one nowhere, except as part of an offer for degrees in subjects like law, politics, economics, etc. It's listed on top universities' websites as a preferred subject; I hardly think you know better then them. You're confusing English lit at A-level with what 12 year olds write about their day out at the beach. Students with A-level English have studied at Oxbridge, LSE, Harvard, Princeton, etc, so obviously it's not the road to nowhere.

Where are you statistics for these 'lower grades', if we're going to speak statistically? I don't see any; are you sure you know what statistics are, or did you invent them?
Original post by Dani California
Oh, apologies. I'm English, we used to have something by the same name.

As am I, remember doing them in year 6 lmao
As am I, remember doing them in year 6 lmao

You moved to America then? That's cool.
English at A-level gets one nowhere, except as part of an offer for degrees in subjects like law, politics, economics, etc. It's listed on top universities' websites as a preferred subject; I hardly think you know better then them. You're confusing English lit at A-level with what 12 year olds write about their day out at the beach. Students with A-level English have studied at Oxbridge, LSE, Harvard, Princeton, etc, so obviously it's not the road to nowhere.

Where are you statistics for these 'lower grades', if we're going to speak statistically? I don't see any; are you sure you know what statistics are, or did you invent them?

Actually you are right with Law, but for Econ most students don't do Eng. Don't know anyone who does politics so not going to comment on that... Wow, actually those graduates are on the lower scale of income of all graduates, and tbh those who go to US ivies, enter undeclared anyway.

Why are you being so mean, I don't know what your problem is, anyway I got the two A*s in Eng at GCSE, and the A at AS. Furthermore it's a coursework heavy subject, whilst Law is a very good degree - those that take Eng Lit and History to get there are hardly as intellectually capable as their STEM counterparts.
Furthermore it's a coursework heavy subject, whilst Law is a very good degree - those that take Eng Lit and History to get there are hardly as intellectually capable as their STEM counterparts.

And you're basing this on your extensive experience of undergraduate Law students at Sixth-form college?
I'd say enjoy your summer while you have it. At a push, read your set texts for Lit. I did and it definitely helped me.
definitely have a browse through maths, I found that in class I'd only get say half the material at first when we went through it in class, but I found it much easier to grasp If I had a look at it beforehand.
Original post by Anonymous #2
I'd say enjoy your summer while you have it. At a push, read your set texts for Lit. I did and it definitely helped me.

I was going to say don't bother doing any work, but actually I'll second reading set texts.
Personally, I wish I started browsing course content during my summer between GCSE and AS levels. I plan on doing this now before A2 starts.
I wouldn't say go over everything for every subject now-enjoy your summer first! You don't want to start hating your subjects before you've even started the course.
But if you find you have some free time, look over topics that interest you.
Should I start now, I am taking Psychology, Sociology and religion. If so can anyone recommend good books?
Id start now, Im studying for my SATs now, also Eng lit isn't a real subject, I would do about 4 hours a day at least, you will be so ahead of the game later on.

4 hours over the summer??? Avin a laff??? I didn't even revise that much for GCSEs :wink:

And btw of course it's a real subject...

English can take you places, such as a journalist, lecturer, Education Consultant or a speech writer which could be hired by anyone, including the prime minister. You may make success with an English A level, progressed onto degree level. Generally, people with English make little progression, but if you go to a top university like Oxford and do well, maybe progress further; There is a lot of potential for success waiting for you.
Start now? I didn't start seriously until about 2 months before the exams in my A levels and managed 4A*s! It won't hurt but seriously why bother. Just relax.
Why don't you make the most of your summer holidays you have worked hard to get your GCSEs done have the summer off. But obviously if you are feeling bored why don't you look free courses or have a look around for stationery for year 12

Nightworld1066
I'm in the same position as you but my school gave us little head start textbooks for science and bridging work to complete over the summer. In terms of how much work to do, by no means wear yourself out or spend entire days doing it - we have such a long summer. I've got a couple of weeks in the summer when I'm not on holiday so I'm planning to do the bridging work then, when I have nothing better to do! Just try to enjoy it! I agree with the guy who suggested Memrise - I swear by it for languages, such a non boring way to learn and it really sticks, even if you did 5 words a day your Spanish vocabulary would be so much bigger by the end of the summer!

Quick Reply

Latest