Driving on the motorway for the first time Watch

This discussion is closed.
soilman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
I haven't passed yet but have driven on a duel carriage way that has 3-4 lanes each way. It was easy. I doubt a motorway would be different as the speed limit is the same, slip roads are the same etc etc. Just remember blind spots when joining/overtaking and if you are nervous look for big gaps.
As people have said most people will move out of the way if they see your indicator.
I wont, it is their problem, not mine.
L0RA
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fez)
most important tho, look ahead as far as you can aswell helps to improve fuel consumption as u dont want to be braking
Lol, i thought you were trying to say that looking ahead improved your fuel consumption magically when i first read that.

On the indicator comment, i find people only let you out if you drive a nice car. When i had my beetle people would let me out everywhere not just on a motorway but go out of their way at junctions etc. Now i'm driving a fiesta and no one EVER lets me out!
fez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i deffo would...
...let you out that is...
E36
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It will be easy, you have been on a dual-carriageway as part of your test, so there is nothing new whatsoever.
And who cares about the other cars speed, 70 is the limit not a target, as long as your car can get to 60 (it must do, unless its a 2CV or somthing :p: ).

(Original post by fez)
as for 2 hands on wheel, hmm not really essential i find. its rare you have to turn more than 1/6ths of a turn.

but if its wet, stay in lane2, lane 1 has big grooves where the lorries compress the road, which causes puddles can be a bit slidey
Please tell me you are joking? Two hands on the wheel is more than a recommendation. I take it you started making your mind up on driving techniques after you passed your test :rolleyes:

And if the motorway was completly empty on a rainy day you would stick in the middle lane :mad: Forcing other drivers who wish to legally overtake across two lanes :rolleyes: Perhaps in Belgium, but not here.
Horrorshow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I went yesterday on the motorway. It was totally fine. Most of the time i was going at about 90 mph , but it felt kinda weird maintaining that speed! Also on the way back it was the worst weather possible, rainy and there was also spray from other cars which made trying to look out my right blindspot very very diffcult as to when to change lanes! But na it was well fun overall
fez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by E36)
It will be easy, you have been on a dual-carriageway as part of your test, so there is nothing new whatsoever.
And who cares about the other cars speed, 70 is the limit not a target, as long as your car can get to 60 (it must do, unless its a 2CV or somthing :p: ).

Please tell me you are joking? Two hands on the wheel is more than a recommendation. I take it you started making your mind up on driving techniques after you passed your test :rolleyes:

And if the motorway was completly empty on a rainy day you would stick in the middle lane :mad: Forcing other drivers who wish to legally overtake across two lanes :rolleyes: Perhaps in Belgium, but not here.
seriously, you know it was totally pissiong it down other week, i was sat in lane 1, could see great big puddles car felt awful. just in my experience.

normally it would infuriate me, but i was struglings to hold onto the car in very gusty winds and a LOT of rain, could feel it sliding all over the place.

scarey **** i tell you.

and ye, thers trucks in lane 1 blowing **** all over so i cant see anything, safer in lane 2 i think. and i aint going to risk having an accident just becuase it pisses some people off. and its rare i got less than 90 on the motorway so not a great deal goes past me.
E36
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fez)
safer in lane 2 i think. and i aint going to risk having an accident just becuase it pisses some people off. and its rare i got less than 90 on the motorway so not a great deal goes past me.
Again, since when do your interpretations of how to drive mean anything? Are you part of ROSPA or IAM?

And the problem is not just pissing people off...

Highway code:

On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. If you use it for overtaking move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

On a three-lane dual carriageway, you may use the middle lane or the right-hand lane to overtake but return to the middle and then the left-hand lane when it is safe.

Take it you believe in reason 2:

They feel it is safer to be in the middle lane, rather than keeping on having to pull out. Yet they present a moving roadblock to faster machinery that may one day misjudge their speed and crash into them. And by forcing cars to undertake or overtake around them, they are passing on that danger to other motorists. Selfish, selfish, selfish.
:rolleyes:
fez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i know what im supposed to do im not stupid mate, and i ALWAYS do, traveling at whatever speeds when its dry / raining a bit.

however the other day when there was flooding all over yorkshire and i was coming home from glasgow, lane 1 was aweful, big grooves in the road where lorries have compressed it causing water to settle in these grooves and trust me, its **** scarey.

im clearly not making my point well, ive been driving two years, no accidents at all, ive had extra driving lessons from a traffic cop whos a class a police driver.

you seem to be sticking to the book way 2 much, people like you piss me off.
as he said to me, the book doesnt take every instance into account.

ive been done for running a red light that had a camera on it, i went to court, said explained why i did it, and that was it, they cancelled it.

i bet your a learner anyway, when you can stop stalling a car, then talk to me
Friggerpants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah......Well, I was in the middle lane, using my feet to steer, doing 160, raced a policeman, then came off a sliproad at 500MPH with Nitrous.
fez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol, what
the

all im trying to say is, use your common sence, dont just sit and think what does the book say.
TheWildChild
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
haha e beef.

anyway, i agree with fez actually. ive only been on the motor way twice. the first time was on wednesday, going from norwich to london via the m11. was chucking it down and was quite windy. went into two huuge puddles, i shouted in fear, along with my mum. i had no control of the car cos you literally float across the water, and therefore have to hold on to the steering wheel (tight). the secodn time, returning home was fine and i actually enjoyed it! though my little car struggles once it gets past 80/85 ish.

just pray its good weather and its fine!
ticklemeellen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My first time on the motorway some wido in a focus nearly came in to the side of me. He was pulling across from the far lane (without indicating) whilst i was indicating to move over into the middle lane, and was flashed in by the audi in that lane. I swerved back into my lane just in time and then he kept coming and cut me up in the slow lane! My sister was in the car with me and she was even like there was no way that was your fault, before people just assume it was me being a novice! She said it looked like he hadn't even noticed I was there... now my car is bright blue so clearly he was just an idiot! Anyway, it was only last week and its freaked me out about going along that stretch again.
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tbh I don't get the fuss about motorways. It's easy: straight roads, lots of space, easy to see far, everything's predictable.

Driving up and down mountains with 5m wide roads and people coming the opposite way is a hell of a lot more scary.
ticklemeellen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not too bothered with single track windy roads because that's what I started driving on. I can see why motorways are safer and make for quicker journeys it just scared me that I was going so fast and some car nearly came into the side of me. That's not such a scary thing if we were both travelling at 20 mph or something.
obins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Motor ways are easy bordering on fun once you've gotten bit used to them.

Especially if its deserted late at night and you decide t play ''How fast can my car go'' or ''How dark is it without my lights really?''
bestie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was fine, maybe a little hesitant on overtaking the first few times just because it takes a little while to be able to judge speed well. Remember blind spots, stick in the left hand lane unless overtaking (at least the first few times), and keep your distance.

If I were you I'd try to have a go on a motorway or at least a similar sized duel carriageway without a car full of mates first.
Jez RR
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Make frequent mirror checks as some cars (or bikes, especially) can come up on you very fast. Watch out for drivers trying to force their way onto the motorway from slip roads, and also for vehicles cutting in front of you from lane 3 ('fast' lane) to take an exit.

When changing lanes always signal in plenty of time and back up a mirror check with a shoulder glance if required. This includes checking left when moving back from lane 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 to avoid vehicles undertaking on your left.

Keep well back from the vehicle ahead - if another car cuts in to your braking space, ease off to increase your braking distance still further. Highway code braking distance at 70mph is 96 metres, which does as a rough guide. Or use the two second rule. Bear in mind it only applies in clear, dry conditions. Look a long way ahead - 12 seconds ahead if possible.

Avoid travelling parallel to any vehicle for any length of time. Overtake each vehicle as a separate hazard, holding back a little until you can see that the area of road in your lane ahead of them is clear. If there is heavy traffic in the lane to your left and both lanes are doing a similar speed, position yourself in staggered formation so that you are not parallel - an HGV may not see you when it pulls out if you are alongside.

If you hit standing water and begin aquaplaning, hold the wheel firmly and slowly ease off the gas until the tyres regain purchase.
Emma_B
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Best advice I was given regarding joining a motorway is to start looking for a gap nice and early, and pick a car to follow rather than to go in front of. And always check the middle lane too for anyone indicating to come back into the left, had some idiot do that to me before, thankfully I spotted them and didn't join, had to keep going onto the hard shoulder though to avoid going straight into them.
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Motorways are awesome. If you can't drive on one or it scares you, I don't think you should be driving at all, tbh

ps why resurrect a 4 year old thread???
M1F2R3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The motorway is easy, it is just like a slightly larger version of the dual carriageway. Don't go in the fast lane unless you own a fast car.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.3%
No - I got the required grades (115)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.62%

Watched Threads