Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it such a taboo for men to be seen crying? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanRigg96#)
    I think that extreme emotional torture would be acceptable (´・_・`)
    A man could cry over, say, his wife's death
    No. That would not make you cry at all, why on earth would it? Makes no sense to cry over something inevitable that will happen to everyone. There's no physical pain. Of course, it can easily cause you major, prolonged depression, you might feel sad, lonely and hopeless for many years afterwards. But you wouldn't cry, not really. I can't see a reason for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solivagant)
    It's a lot less common. I spent a lengthy period where going a day without it was a really good day.
    I'm so sorry...

ReputationRep:
    When i see men cry,i start to cry. Dunno why

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsRochana)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Likewise hun, it just instantly gets to me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I'm so sorry...
    Don't be, it's not your fault

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I never let anyone see me cry, I don't like the attention that comes with it, or making people feel awkward seeing me. I remember things really getting to me and having to run out of neros and find a field so I could sit in the rain and cry without anyone seeing me not so long ago.

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember the last time i cried , it's only plausible if something tragic had happened.

ReputationRep:
    I cried when my sister went to uni

ReputationRep:
    Real G's don't cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Real G's don't cry.
    "Real G's" wear suits and deal business, not roadmans. Real G's are the mafia, not little men like you, who think you are hench, but would get levelled.

Stay safe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Only an onion can get the tears out of my eyes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats why we don't cry, we don't want to show people (women) we are weak.

Man had a tear in titanic still

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solivagant)
    I cry at least a couple of times every week. Can't help having problems, sorry if that makes me pathetic.
    We forgive you

ReputationRep:
    I think crying is a rather immature emotion. I cant remember the last time i cried,probably when i was a kid. Life toughens you and what ever comes along, you just deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know it was taboo...

Seeing anyone cry is a bit uncomfortable, actually.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Only the weakest of men cry.
    It can happen to people who aren't really aware what they're doing in uber traumatic circumstances. Someone I know was driving behind his family (Mum, Dad, 2 sisters and brother) on the way to a big family do thing at Xmas when their car skidded and got crushed by a lorry. They all died and Police just found him sat in his car on the hard shoulder, silent, tears streaming, staring blankly ahead. He was just in such shock that he didn't know what was happeneing, let alone why he was crying.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's due to society as well, where we have created this idea of men being strong and the 'protectors' of the family, and therefore for a man to cry would mean he is weak and cannot protect his family. Despite this, I think it would be pretty pathetic to call a guy a 'pussy' if he cries over his relatives/family death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    No. That would not make you cry at all, why on earth would it? Makes no sense to cry over something inevitable that will happen to everyone. There's no physical pain. Of course, it can easily cause you major, prolonged depression, you might feel sad, lonely and hopeless for many years afterwards. But you wouldn't cry, not really. I can't see a reason for that.
    You are one strange person, I pity you if this is really how you think and feel...

ReputationRep:
    I cry quite regularly but more through emotion and events of grand scale, like an overwhelming euphoria sort of thing. Those moments where you wish you could stop time and live in it forever, that's when I really get overwhelmed. Not at sad things or personal problems, that sort of thing I've got much stronger at dealing with.

ReputationRep:
    The real men cry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.