Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are any of these 3 laptops good for what I need? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyyoufools)
    Yep :P I actually loved how easy, pretty and intuitive 8 was which is apparently an uncommon opinion. They lost a bit of it with 8.1 but they fixed other stuff so I don't mind. Even if it's not perfect, I like it
    yes, the highly intuitive interface designed for tablets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I know. I have a Mac Pro and an iMac.

Comments like Namige's aren't exactly useful though.
    hideously overpriced products. They bring shame to the mac lineup.

ReputationRep:
    Go for a Chromebook 14.
    Incredibly fast to boot up. (5 Seconds max)
    No need to worry about viruses and anti-virus protection because its already built into the operating system.
    Battery life lasts me around 8 hours on full brightness.
    Quite light.
    And all files are saved to Google Drive so they will never be lost.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SanjayGill)
    Go for a Chromebook 14.
    No need to worry about viruses and anti-virus protection because its already built into the operating system.
    Quite light.
    They want to do some editing and graphic design, this pretty much eliminates Chromebooks as a potential choice. As nice as they are for basic stuff, for anyone who wants to do anything that can't be done with a standard web browser Chromebooks are not really a viable option.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :bricks::bricks:
    (Original post by Namige)
    No.

Join the apple master race and get a mac
    :bricks:Where did that rep down button go?

ReputationRep:
    Acer's aren't too bad. I think its reasonable to judge on a model basis rather than generally. They do put out some good stuff, and for a good price.

ReputationRep:
    hideously overpriced products. They bring shame to the mac lineup.
    The Mac Pro is very well priced. Any workstation with similar specs is around the same price. Mine was £5000 and a similar HP WS was just over that at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    The Mac Pro is very well priced. Any workstation with similar specs is around the same price. Mine was £5000 and a similar HP WS was just over that at the time.
    no just no.

ReputationRep:
    no just no.
    Okay. Show me a workstation with similar specs (feel free to substitute the FirePros for Quadros) that is significantly cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Okay. Show me a workstation with similar specs (feel free to substitute the FirePros for Quadros) that is significantly cheaper.
    A workstation is just a fancy name for a gaming computer with a ridiculous price tag.

Just please, stop trying to justify getting ripped off. You're doing yourself no favours.

ReputationRep:
    A workstation is just a fancy name for a gaming computer with a ridiculous price tag.

Just please, stop trying to justify getting ripped off. You're doing yourself no favours.
    Wow. :facepalm:

You obviously know nothing about computers. Bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Wow. :facepalm:

You obviously know nothing about computers. Bye.
    Says the person that has a mac pro haha
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Says the person that has a mac pro haha
    Mac pros aren't bad, as long as you use it, you know, as a workstation.
    I wish you luck playing games on a proper workstation, with them horrible drivers, GPUs designed for completely different applications and all that.

ReputationRep:
    yes, the highly intuitive interface designed for tablets.
    I like how it works on laptops and desktops

(Original post by SanjayGill)
    Go for a Chromebook 14.
    Quite light.
    I need it for more than it offers so not an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Mac pros aren't bad, as long as you use it, you know, as a workstation.
    I wish you luck playing games on a proper workstation, with them horrible drivers, GPUs designed for completely different applications and all that.
    They're not "bad". I never said they were. I said they were ridiculously overpriced for what they are.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    They're not "bad". I never said they were. I said they were ridiculously overpriced for what they are.
    Which is not gaming computers, when you enter into workstations things do get expensive, sure you can build a windows/linux rig for half the price that will benchmark the same, but workstations aren't for benchmarking, nor gaming, and running benchmarks and getting similar results doesn't necessarily make them comparable.

ReputationRep:
    OK. Find me a new windows/linux laptop with an ssd 10 hour battery life and weighing 1.5kg for under £600. Not to mention the native terminal and rsync abilities which are nice but not essential.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    OK. Find me a new windows/linux laptop with an ssd 10 hour battery life and weighing 1.5kg for under £600. Not to mention the native terminal and rsync abilities which are nice but not essential.
    here?
    OK, it is slightly heavier, and it does have a HDD rather than SSD, but also has plenty of cash left over for the SSD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    here?
    OK, it is slightly heavier, and it does have a HDD rather than SSD, but also has plenty of cash left over for the SSD
    That is a very liberal definition of slightly :p: in that weight range I dunno if I could look past the Panasonic cf-53!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    That is a very liberal definition of slightly :p: in that weight range I dunno if I could look past the Panasonic cf-53!
    After switching out to the SSD it should be a fair bit less than 50% heavier, and 150% of not much is still not much

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.