Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What percentage of blame, if at all any, rests with the victim during rape? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Because the effects of rape on its victims are in no way comparable to the effects of burglary, and in any case only in the latter are you telling all potential victims to take a certain course of action. Rather than telling someone not to walk in dark alleys, we should invest more in street lighting.
    Absurd. If I see a gang of men down an alley looking dodgy then I walk another way. Its called doing a risk assessment and deciding whether something is no-high risk - it will fall somewhere on that scale. People do these everyday in life and work. There are evil people in the world and this utopian society where rapists, child abductors and so on is exactly that, a utopian dream. If a guy walks down an alley full of dodgy men then he is putting himself at risk. You don't walk out in front of cars because they are dangerous - well the people driving them can be. Don't put yourself in risky situations when it comes to other people either. No one is asking to be stabbed, assaulted, raped, murdered etc. but if you think you can go walking around carefree in today's perverse and disgusting world without it coming back on you then you are mad as you will get taken advantage of. The world is full of bad people and that's just the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    Of course 0% is the answer and the arguments suggesting that women dressing provocatively are 'asking for it' are ridiculous. But, I think the key question is, does dressing provocatively actually increase the chances of being raped? Are there any stats that suggest it does or not, cause there have been some interesting posts about rape being more about power and control than sexual desire, which if true would completely discredit the idea that women are in any way responsible for being raped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Absurd. If I see a gang of men down an alley looking dodgy then I walk another way. Its called doing a risk assessment and deciding whether something is no-high risk - it will fall somewhere on that scale. People do these everyday in life and work. There are evil people in the world and this utopian society where rapists, child abductors and so on is exactly that, a utopian dream. If a guy walks down an alley full of dodgy men then he is putting himself at risk. You don't walk out in front of cars because they are dangerous - well the people driving them can be. Don't put yourself in risky situations when it comes to other people either. No one is asking to be stabbed, assaulted, raped, murdered etc. but if you think you can go walking around carefree in today's perverse and disgusting world without it coming back on you then you are mad as you will get taken advantage of. The world is full of bad people and that's just the way it is.
    Have you actually read anything I've written? Rape is pretty unique in that the victim is socially conditioned to blame herself, rather than to blame the attacker. That means the way we talk about it also needs to be different. And also, the world may be full of bad people, but that doesn't mean we can't make it a better place - it IS possible to reduce the number of men who commit rape, even if not to eliminate it completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Is Matt)
    The other thread got me thinking. Many people argue victims of rape share some blame for dressing provocatively and purposely turning men or giving the impression they're up for sex. It comes back to the infamous car analogy where by leaving valuables on show in a car attracts attention and you share some blame when someone steals them from your car, the same is true with dressing provocatively and getting raped.

This seems outrageous. Is there any justification for putting some blame on rape victim or indeed any circumstances where a rape victim is partly to blame?

Leaving valuables on show in a car analogy just paints men out as animals.

There are some key variables which women could manipulate in-order to dodge a criminal. If I have an expensive watch on, I wouldn't walk through a dodgy poorly lit area. Same with a women, her vagina is on par with the diamond encrusted watch.
    Another example would be not trust strangers that you know via social media. I just find it strange how lax some girls can be when it comes to their own well-being, you're physically inferior to male criminals therefore one should be more mindful of external threats.

It just comes down to personal decisions. Will you suppress your ability to control your body for a few laughs and giggle, and then risk walking home in the darkness like a baked zombie in awkward foot wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RHyoudon'kno)
    No blame should be put on the victim. People have a right to dress and act how they want. No one's asking the guy to go rape them.

None what so ever. Men should be taught not to rape, rather than women being taught not to get raped - only those who commit rape can completely prevent it from happening, no matter what the victim wears, where they walk, or what time they travel at.
    Blame should be put on the victims. Only if they had the power prevent the crime.
    I think clothing is not that important tbh, rape is a crime of opportunity.
    There are few cases where a criminal would hand pick his victim and then spike his or her drink. Even in this case, the victim should have been aware of the external threats.

Women should be told that they have the power to place themselves in vulnerable positions. Once they understand they have some form of responsibility then they can make better decisions.
    I also see this an empowering for women. I feel like it would be more terrifying to know that a external entity could just have their way with you, without no input from your side.

When responsibility is taken away from a victim they take more risks. They become lax. For example, women and their wombs. In the past they had to be more responsible, when the negative economic/physiological effects rested solely of their shoulders. Now they don't have to be as responsible, because of this we have seen an increase in single mothers.

The act of rape is a crime. You can prevent crime. For example, if someone unchained motorcycle was stolen then people in the biking community would have little sympathy for the victim. This is because they're aware of the external threats. Same with women, they should be aware.

Its just painful to see brainwashed naive women spouting rubbish 'no harm to women' 'teach men not to rape'. Step into the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Rape is the only crime where advising people on how to minimize the chance of it happening is dismissed as 'victim blaming'.
    Another fantastic term created by feminist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)
    Blame should be put on the victims. Only if they had the power prevent the crime.
    I think clothing is not that important tbh, rape is a crime of opportunity.
    There are few cases where a criminal would hand pick his victim and then spike his or her drink. Even in this case, the victim should have been aware of the external threats.

Women should be told that they have the power to place themselves in vulnerable positions. Once they understand they have some form of responsibility then they can make better decisions.
    I also see this an empowering for women. I feel like it would be more terrifying to know that a external entity could just have their way with you, without no input from your side.

When responsibility is taken away from a victim they take more risks. They become lax. For example, women and their wombs. In the past they had to be more responsible, when the negative economic/physiological effects rested solely of their shoulders. Now they don't have to be as responsible, because of this we have seen an increase in single mothers.

The act of rape is a crime. You can prevent crime. For example, if someone unchained motorcycle was stolen then people in the biking community would have little sympathy for the victim. This is because they're aware of the external threats. Same with women, they should be aware.

Its just painful to see brainwashed naive women spouting rubbish 'no harm to women' 'teach men not to rape'. Step into the real world.
    Isn't it a shame, then, that that is EXACTLY what rape is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Of course 0% is the answer and the arguments suggesting that women dressing provocatively are 'asking for it' are ridiculous. But, I think the key question is, does dressing provocatively actually increase the chances of being raped? Are there any stats that suggest it does or not, cause there have been some interesting posts about rape being more about power and control than sexual desire, which if true would completely discredit the idea that women are in any way responsible for being raped.
    I don't think how they dress is what people focus on as a reason that it happened. It's more things like leaving your drink unattended or walking home alone in a dangerous area.

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually read anything I've written? Rape is pretty unique in that the victim is socially conditioned to blame herself, rather than to blame the attacker. That means the way we talk about it also needs to be different. And also, the world may be full of bad people, but that doesn't mean we can't make it a better place - it IS possible to reduce the number of men who commit rape, even if not to eliminate it completely.
    No its not. If my bike was stolen I would blame myself for putting myself in such position. I would then look back at my decision and then seek to improve. What could I have done? Could I have secured my bike in a better manner. If the answer is yes then I would go out and purchase deterrents/security.

Humans look back at past decisions and assess said decision, its a part of our survival mechanism. You burnt your finger on hot oil, then you learn to be careful around hot oil.

ReputationRep:
    No its not. If my bike was stolen I would blame myself for putting myself in such position. I would then look back at my decision and then seek to improve. What could I have done? Could I have secured my bike in a better manner. If the answer is yes then I would go out and purchase deterrents/security.

Humans look back at past decisions and assess said decision, its a part of our survival mechanism. You burnt your finger on hot oil, then you learn to be careful around hot oil.
    Would you be mentally scarred and suffer trauma from that regret for years after it happened? Would you feel like you couldn't go out in public or be yourself around people ever again because of it? There is a huge bloody difference between being raped and having your bike stolen!!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it a shame, then, that that is EXACTLY what rape is?
    Its a criminal offence to rape so yes. Gold medal for stating the obvious,

ReputationRep:
    None at all. You'd not blame a person who was murdered for their murder, so why blame a person who is raped for their rape?

At no point is the person who is raped ever at fault because the person who has done the raping is the one who has done wrong. The person who has done the raping has violated another persons body and forced them to have sex without their permission.

Some of what has been posted on this thread by those saying that the victim, yes, that is VICTIM is liable for blame really need to understand that people should never have to modify their behavior and dress so that they are not attacked. This isn't to say that take precautions isn't a good idea, it is to say that precautions should not be needed and not taking those precautions should not warrant blame.

We need to teach people not to rape because everyone is capable of not raping and of understanding why it is wrong. It is absolutely DISGUSTING that anyone would blame a person for a crime which was acted upon them to cause them distress and injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsbook)
    None at all. You'd not blame a person who was murdered for their murder, so why blame a person who is raped for their rape?

At no point is the person who is raped ever at fault because the person who has done the raping is the one who has done wrong. The person who has done the raping has violated another persons body and forced them to have sex without their permission.

Some of what has been posted on this thread by those saying that the victim, yes, that is VICTIM is liable for blame really need to understand that people should never have to modify their behavior and dress so that they are not attacked. This isn't to say that take precautions isn't a good idea, it is to say that precautions should not be needed and not taking those precautions should not warrant blame.

We need to teach people not to rape because everyone is capable of not raping and of understanding why it is wrong. It is absolutely DISGUSTING that anyone would blame a person for a crime which was acted upon them to cause them distress and injury.

Rape is not on par with murder.
    You say that people should never have to modify their behaviour in order to prevent crime, oh well you do. Look at the locks on your doors, those are their to prevent thieves.

You're not that naive to go around saying teach thieves not to steal. We don't live in a crime free utopia. Sicko are raised by sicko parents. The cycle of violence will never be broken.

ReputationRep:
    Rape is not on par with murder.
    You say that people should never have to modify their behaviour in order to prevent crime, oh well you do. Look the locks on your doors, those are their to prevent thieves.

You're not that naive to go around saying teach thieves not to steal. We don't live in a crime free utopia. Sicko are raised by sicko parents. The cycle of violence will never be broken.
    Urm, rape is traumatising and the person has to live with the memory of the experience for the rest of their lives.

Saying people shouldn't have to take precautions is not the same as saying that you shouldn't take those precautions.

No, I'm not naive. I keep saying that people SHOULDN'T have to take precautions not that I advise people not to take them.

Of course I advise people to take precautions and more so now that I know their are men out their who think that there are scenarios where the victim can be blamed for there rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alrounder79)
    I don't even think wearing revealing clothing generally provokes rape. Rape is, more often than not, about controlling, dominating and hurting another person. Muslim countries, where women literally cover themselves from head to toe, have the highest rape incident rates. There are several instances of old ladies getting raped, etc. I'd say rape is more of a hate crime, not a crime of passion.
    Wrong, No Muslim countries in the top 10.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches...ents-rape-data

Check as many other sources as you want.

Here's the rate:

ReputationRep:
    Answer is 0%, is not a womens fault that a man has decided to forcefully insert his penis inside her, or whatever is done.

But there are factors which women should know which will reduce the risk, such as not travelling alone, to not wear too revealing clothes, to get a cab home etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    Wrong, No Muslim countries in the top 10.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches...ents-rape-data

Check as many other sources as you want.

Here's the rate:

No, that just says the police don't keep an exceptionally high number of records of rape in those countries, NOT that it doesn't happen. It's hardly a ****ing surprise a woman doesn't go to the police about it when she can be charged with adultery and publicly stoned is it?!

ReputationRep:
    No, that just says the police don't keep an exceptionally high number of records of rape in those countries, NOT that it doesn't happen. It's hardly a ****ing surprise a woman doesn't go to the police about it when she can be charged with adultery and publicly stoned is it?!
    True, But we can only go by statistics.

and you can't get stonned for being raped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    True, But we can only go by statistics.

and you can't get stonned for being raped.
    But you can also question how valid those statistics are and if they actually prove your point or not. And such an incident allegedly occurred in Somalia, but rape victims being considered criminal adulterers happens in many countries.

ReputationRep:
    Most rape is not strange men in dark alleys. Most rapists know their victims.

Of course only the rapist is at fault. They're the one who wanted to force themself upon someone. People get raped whatever their actions. A victim is NEVER at fault.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.