Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the funniest book you've ever read? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read a funny book for ages...but I read "The Single Girl's To-Do-List" by Lindsey Kelk a few years ago. Load of trash but gave me a great chuckle :3

ReputationRep:
    Bridget Jones's Diary

ReputationRep:
    Knocked out by my nunga nungas and Angus thongs and full frontal snogging by Louise rennison. I read them when I was younger and they made me laugh so much.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read a book in my life.

ReputationRep:
    The Bible or The Quran

ReputationRep:
    'How to Be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran is hilarious at points. Also 'Letters of a Lovestruck Teenager' by Claire Robertson has me weeping with laughter every time - it's the most 90s thing you'll ever read in your life, but I just adore it.

Also - Louise Rennison.

ReputationRep:
    The funniest book I have ever read is 'The concise Chinese- English dictionary for lovers' so funny on so many levels. Definitely worth a read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatDisneyObsess)
    'How to Be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran is hilarious at points. Also 'Letters of a Lovestruck Teenager' by Claire Robertson has me weeping with laughter every time - it's the most 90s thing you'll ever read in your life, but I just adore it.

Also - Louise Rennison.
    How to be a woman is epic! I loved that book. Every page made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    'Tickling the English' by Dara O Briain is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Pants are everything:when you're definitely not a nudist.

highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    Adolf Hitler: My part in his downfall - Spike Milligan

Unreliable Memoids - Clive James (should be popular with TSR because he ends up getting into Cambridge)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleBlossoms)
    I find Just William books hilarious! People always look at me weirdly in the train when I laugh out loud though... :mmm:
    Oh my, me too!

ReputationRep:
    Catch-22 Joseph Heller
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    May contain traces of magic and the portable door by Tom Holt. A very funny author!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    I'm currently chortling my way through I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan which I somehow hadn't gotten around to reading until now, and it's probably the funniest book I've ever read. Literally laugh-a-page stuff.

I'm a fan of Charlie Brooker's books too, but I'm not sure they count as they've essentially been taken from his Guardian columns.

I find the written comedy just as funny as TV comedy and wondered whether anyone had any other recommendations? The wackier the better...

My Comedy Book Bucketlist
    DBC Pierre's Vernon God Little
    Squire Haggard's Journal
    Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island
    Danny Wallace's Yes, Man
    Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller
    Kingsley Amis's Lucky Jim
    John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces
    Charlie Croker's Lost in Translation
    Thanks for starting this thread, I'm always looking for decent, well-written books with a fair amount of comedy. So many new titles, although great are all a bit 'doom and gloom'.

ReputationRep:
    Frankie Boyle's "My **** Life So Far" had me in tears. Jon Richardson's "It's Not Me, It's You" was hilarious too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lolito by Ben Brooks, or Submarine by Joe Dunthorne. Unbelievably realistic and biting turn of phrase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Lolito by Ben Brooks, or Submarine by Joe Dunthorne. Unbelievably realistic and biting turn of phrase.
    I forgot about submarine. Got to agree it's very funny. Have you seen the film?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by keturah)
    I forgot about submarine. Got to agree it's very funny. Have you seen the film?
    Of course! Huge fan of Ayoade's work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.