The Student Room Group

What's the funniest book you've ever read?

Scroll to see replies

Haven't read a funny book for ages...but I read "The Single Girl's To-Do-List" by Lindsey Kelk a few years ago. Load of trash but gave me a great chuckle :3
Bridget Jones's Diary
:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Knocked out by my nunga nungas and Angus thongs and full frontal snogging by Louise rennison. I read them when I was younger and they made me laugh so much.
I haven't read a book in my life.
The Bible or The Quran
'How to Be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran is hilarious at points. Also 'Letters of a Lovestruck Teenager' by Claire Robertson has me weeping with laughter every time - it's the most 90s thing you'll ever read in your life, but I just adore it.

Also - Louise Rennison. :smile:
The funniest book I have ever read is 'The concise Chinese- English dictionary for lovers' so funny on so many levels. Definitely worth a read
Original post by ThatDisneyObsess
'How to Be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran is hilarious at points. Also 'Letters of a Lovestruck Teenager' by Claire Robertson has me weeping with laughter every time - it's the most 90s thing you'll ever read in your life, but I just adore it.

Also - Louise Rennison. :smile:

How to be a woman is epic! I loved that book. Every page made me laugh
'Tickling the English' by Dara O Briain is fantastic.
Pants are everything:when you're definitely not a nudist.

highly recommended.
Adolf Hitler: My part in his downfall - Spike Milligan

Unreliable Memoids - Clive James (should be popular with TSR because he ends up getting into Cambridge)
Original post by AppleBlossoms
I find Just William books hilarious! People always look at me weirdly in the train when I laugh out loud though... :mmm:

Oh my, me too! :colondollar:
Catch-22 Joseph Heller
May contain traces of magic and the portable door by Tom Holt. A very funny author!
Original post by Numberwang
I'm currently chortling my way through I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan which I somehow hadn't gotten around to reading until now, and it's probably the funniest book I've ever read. Literally laugh-a-page stuff.

I'm a fan of Charlie Brooker's books too, but I'm not sure they count as they've essentially been taken from his Guardian columns.

I find the written comedy just as funny as TV comedy and wondered whether anyone had any other recommendations? The wackier the better... :smile:

My Comedy Book Bucketlist
DBC Pierre's Vernon God Little
Squire Haggard's Journal
Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island
Danny Wallace's Yes, Man
Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller
Kingsley Amis's Lucky Jim
John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces
Charlie Croker's Lost in Translation

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm always looking for decent, well-written books with a fair amount of comedy. So many new titles, although great are all a bit 'doom and gloom'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
Frankie Boyle's "My **** Life So Far" had me in tears. Jon Richardson's "It's Not Me, It's You" was hilarious too.
Reply 36
Lolito by Ben Brooks, or Submarine by Joe Dunthorne. Unbelievably realistic and biting turn of phrase.
Original post by Mackay
Lolito by Ben Brooks, or Submarine by Joe Dunthorne. Unbelievably realistic and biting turn of phrase.

I forgot about submarine. Got to agree it's very funny. Have you seen the film?
Reply 38
Original post by keturah
I forgot about submarine. Got to agree it's very funny. Have you seen the film?

Of course! Huge fan of Ayoade's work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending