Wish someone had done this this time last year! :lol:

Things I'd tell myself when I was a fresher/in first term in general:

- ENJOY IT. Make the absolute most of it
    - Talk to more people - you're all in the same boat
    - Don't be afraid to say yes to stuff
    - You're not going to be/stay friends with everyone and that doesn't matter
    - Don't get into a relationship!
    - Drink before you go out
    - Go and explore where you're going to be studying, especially if it's not where everyone else has their lectures. Saves leaving the flat an hour early and getting there before everyone else on the first day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Don't give in to peer pressure.
    Yeah, I agree with this. I think the 'say yes to everything' is only good to an extent. I really like to go out, I like to drink amongst other things, I like parties. But I don't like going out every night and I really like to spend time by myself. So I didn't go out every night and I'm glad I didn't because it allowed me to do other things such as exploring the city and going to society events because I wasn't hungover for all of freshers!

ReputationRep:
    1. Bring a door wedge to prop open your door in halls, shows people you're friendly and open
    2. DEFINITELY join a society / sports team; the only regret I have looking back on my degree was wasting my time in first year napping or being hungover, at least be hungover with everyone else from your team having gone to a social the night before!
    3. Don't bother bringing a printer to uni, people argue it's so much cheaper overall but I did English and any substantial reading was available online or printed and handed out in lectures, that and library printing is only 4p a sheet normally, not exactly budget busting
    4. Get a part time job; best ones are normally at your actual uni as they operate on a zero hour contract so you can fit it around your studies really easily
    5. First year is relatively easy, don't feel bad if you coast along but just be prepared for the jump between first and second year, cos it's not the same
    6. If you've got a problem with your housemates, just tell em. They'll appreciate the fact that you've been honest and it'll sort it out sooner rather than later. If they've still got a problem then don't live with em again the year after!

ReputationRep:
    This thread is classic! Makes me so excited to go to University, argghh! :ahee:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Choose your friendship group carefully as you are likely to pick up some of their characteristics. If you hang round with people that take their degrees seriously you will probably do well and enjoy each others' success. If you hang around with people that have come to uni to party all the time or smoke weed in their flats all day then you will end up following their lifestyle and it almost becomes unacceptable in the group to study hard or do well because it shows the others up.
    Totally this.

ReputationRep:
    1. Take maybe a few pens with you to start off with, but don't over-do it. I managed to last the entire year on that single pack of pens and the tons of free ones I got at Freshers Fayre and other events
    2. Don't buy your textbooks brand new, newest edition, before you even start your course. Normally you can go back one or two editions and it won't make a difference (except page numbers), and definitely look into buying them second hand, or just get them out from the library when you need them (although this can be difficult around exam time). You don't want to be the person who forks out £60 on a brand new textbook, to only use it once or twice in the whole length of your course.
    3. Get a doorstop/door wedge/heavy textbook to prop your door open with. It helps let your flatmates know you're in and that you're friendly.
    4. Start budgeting early. Freshers week is going to be an expensive time, but after that, keep an eye on your money. You don't want to get half way through first semester to realise you've spent all your maintenance loan and have to phone up your parents to help bail you out
    5. Definitely join AT LEAST one society or sports team. It's a great way to make friends, and maybe even try out something you've always wanted to do but never had the chance to.
    6. In freshers week, you will meet a lot of people. Don't be scared if you then never speak to half of them again.
    7. Your first couple of weeks will generally be filled with the same few questions: "What's your name?" "Where are you from?" "What course are you studying?"
    8. Communicate with your flatmates. If you have a problem with them or their actions, tell them early on and try and work it out. Don't let it fester. You don't want to find yourself getting annoyed half way through your first year at problems you could have fixed in the first week if you'd just talked to them
    9. First year is the least difficult, and likely the year where you'll have the most free time. Don't take that for granted. Make friends, hang out with them, make memories. You'll be looking back on those memories when you're in later years and having to spend every free second you have revising or dashing to the library or whatever
    10. ENJOY YOURSELF!!

ReputationRep:
    You really don't need to pack every item of clothing that you own.

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel the need to go out every night , just because it's fresher's week. If it's a 50/50 decision then it's probably the right time to err on the side of hedonism, but that doesn't mean you need to blow your bank balance in your first seven days!

There's every chance you'll hang around/meet people in the first few days you really don't get on with. It's impossible to know exactly which dozen or so people out of thousands will end up in your friendship group. Friendships aren't set in stone straight away, you'll gravitate towards your kind of crowd after fresher's week through societies, lectures and flatmates.

A lot of people will be terrified. Putting on a brave face and helping these people is not only a great way of making friendships, it's a really thoughtful thing to do to. Just remember you're all in it together!

You'll learn by doing. No matter how many checklists you read, you'll forget something you wish you brought. Fancy dress, an obscure utensil, a particular DVD - don't sweat it! Chances are you'll be bombarded by unbearable quantities of information too - libraries, meetings etc. - you aren't expected to know everything You'll learn more life skills in your first year at uni than any other in your life. It's a brilliant experience!

Super Noodles. These are just the bomb when you're hungover.

It's an incredible experience and you only get it once! Just try your hardest to have a good time

ReputationRep:
    Dont get hung up on crushes
    I made this mistake in my first year.

Budget
    Unless you want to be living off noodles and bread for the last 2 months, I seriously suggest coming up with some sort of budget. Even if it's as simlpe as "I'll aim to spend X on food per week".

Invest in earplugs
    I seriously regret not doing this. Being woken up the night before an early start day or an exam by your drunk housemates is horrible.

Don't tell people not to steal your food
    It will only make them more tempted to. If necessary, laxative up your milk or whatever and teach them not to steal the hard way.

Find out what the cheapest food store is nearby
    Sure, walking to the corner shop is easy, but if you walk for another 5/10 mins you can easily stumble upon some massive savings.

Talk to lots of people when you first start
    Getting a friendship group early on is key to having a good time at uni. Sure, you make more friends throughout the years but having a solid group of friends in your first year just makes it so much better.

ReputationRep:
    I would buck the trend of some of the advice and say don't do something thats not "you" just for the sake of "doing something".

If dressing in school uniform and chanting on a bus is not your thing then don't do it, you will just hate it and hate yourself. In a uni environment there are lots of people and you get a better return on spending time searching for like minded people rather than going along with the crowd for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    These aren't really things I'd say to myself in relation to mistakes I made, but just general advice

Freshers Week, and to an extent the first 4-6 weeks of first year, is not the same as the rest of your time at university. It's totally different. If you don't enjoy the Freshers thing don't be miserable thinking you have three years of it. There are a lot of people at uni which means people with the same interests and personality. You don't need to conform to the mainstream if it's not you, just look for like-minded people.

Choose your friendship group carefully as you are likely to pick up some of their characteristics. If you hang round with people that take their degrees seriously you will probably do well and enjoy each others' success. If you hang around with people that have come to uni to party all the time or smoke weed in their flats all day then you will end up following their lifestyle and it almost becomes unacceptable in the group to study hard or do well because it shows the others up.

Don't spend three years being obsessed by relationships, while the opportunities of uni pass you by. Those 3/4 years you spend at uni present opportunities you will never get in another window of your life: to learn new things, do new things, meet new people, get your career set up. Get those years right and you will be set on a good path for the rest of your life. But so many people look back after finishing uni and wish they'd done something they could have done at uni. IMO the big reason people don't is because those 3/4 years are dominated by relationships and relationship issues. They are spending their whole time thinking about who they fancy, will they/won't they get with them, then when they are in a relationship they spend their time thinking about how it's going, where it's going, the latest argument they've had, then when a relationship ends they spend weeks/months unable to focus on anything other than getting over the relationship until they find someone new they fancy and the cycle starts again. For young people, relationships are obviously important but seriously I saw it happen so often at uni that people lived in a bubble of their relationship issues and everything else, degree, career planning, doing other things they'd really like to do if they opened their mind to it, just don't get a look inside this bubble.
    Really good advice. I could see myself becoming one of those people and I think that's probably what I just needed to hear.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my first year so if I could go back i'd tell myself these things:
    - Pull as many guys as you wish in the first month, else you'll never end up with the confidence to speak to your now boyfriend of 8 months.
    - Don't spend all of your student loan in the first month and a half... you won't be out of your overdraft again for the rest of the year.
    - Do go out whenever you want, you met the majority of your closest friends while wasted (but confident).
    - Do try and take part more in the societies you join... they always end up being your favourite days of the year.
    - Do concentrate more in lectures... the lectures are actually there to help.

I feel my 1st year experience was a bit different from the typical TSR experience so I thought I'd share my advice to myself (and these are specifically aimed at me).

ReputationRep:
    i'm starting uni in september but i'm extremely shy? any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbigailLeigh)
    I'm starting a uni as well this september but I would recommend to join a society! Or maybe just keep your door open on moving day so people know they can come and talk to you this way you don't have to make the first move! Also a simple "hi" to your new flatmates could easily start a conversation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbigailLeigh)
    I was in your exact position same time last year.

I wasn't really able to hold a conversation with anyone, but I got by and now have a nice group of friends on my course The best advice I can give is just dive in head-first, don't worry if you are a bit awkward but be open and approachable, and most of all positive. Nobody likes a negative nancy

ReputationRep:
    This advice is all really great, thank's guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaidemosss)
    This thread is classic! Makes me so excited to go to University, argghh! :ahee:
    So glad people like it!

(Original post by dreadpiraterach)
    You really don't need to pack every item of clothing that you own.
    You really don't. Nor do you need all of your books and your dvds etc. You won't read all of them and trying to fit all of your stuff in the car at the beginning and the end of the year is a nightmare. I took so much stuff in my first year and I didn't need half of it, so this year I think I'll take a minimum when I first move in and if I really want something I can always get it during reading week or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice for a fresher thats commuting and doesnt like drinking/partying? Im so nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's already too late. Make lemonade of what you can now.

ReputationRep:
    Not really relevant to the thread but I don't think my questions warrant a thread of their own
    1. Is it normal to turn up to societies on your own? i.e without coursemates or flatmates.
    2. When sports teams/societies say they're open to all abilities, are they really or will I look like a complete nob trying to play something for the first time?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.