Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dominoes staff member caught buying potato wedges from aldi to sell in store! Watch

Announcements
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam')
    Not at all. If people are willing to pay that amount for the wedges then so be it. It's not like dominoes monopolises the sale of food. If people aren't satisfied with the price they ought to go elsewhere for food.
    I think the issue is that you'd expect the in-store wedges to be higher quality and tastier than the aldi wedges. You go to somewhere like dominoes for a certain quality of food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    For those who didn't read the article:

Only in the sense that any profit is exploitation. As Dez says, a potato is pretty much a potato. I shouldn't think they're paying much more to their regular suppliers. Who cares if a Chinese takeaway buys noodles from Lidl, or an Indian buys rice from Asda? Think about the markup on the latter - a portion of rice will cost pennies to make, and sells for £2 or so.
    A portion of rice may sell for £2 and only cost pennies to produce from raw material but there are labour costs involved. In that bag of rice you've got to account for head office, share holders, staff, rent, transportation, etc. and this does bump the price up.

Also I don't see anything wrong with prices that aren't manipulated through price fixing agreements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)
    I think the issue is that you'd expect the in-store wedges to be higher quality and tastier than the aldi wedges. You go to somewhere like dominoes for a certain quality of food!
    I disagree. Fresh store bought pizzas are way better quality. You go to dominoes for convenience - it's all cooked and ready to eat.

ReputationRep:

The article points out that they were selling the wedges for almost a 700% mark-up. Do you think that this exploits customers at all?
    69p is expensive, they get them much cheaper from wholesalers, so the original mark us is probably double that.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should give Domino's the credit it deserves. Any company that can convince customers to pay £3.49 for a few crappy bits of potato knows how to market their products successfully.

ReputationRep:

The article points out that they were selling the wedges for almost a 700% mark-up. Do you think that this exploits customers at all?
    Not really. If you're enough of a mug to think Domino's is good value for money in the first place then you probably have more money than sense.

Domino's doesn't represent that its food is of any particular quality - that's for the patrons to decide.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Don't think there is much wrong with this.

Aldi potato wedges are probably just as good as the Domino ones.

A bit embarrassing for the Dominos shop though, as it shows they are not able to work out expected demand and order in appropriate quantities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam')
    A portion of rice may sell for £2 and only cost pennies to produce from raw material but there are labour costs involved. In that bag of rice you've got to account for head office, share holders, staff, rent, transportation, etc. and this does bump the price up.

Also I don't see anything wrong with prices that aren't manipulated through price fixing agreements.
    Sure, I agree (but don't forget about the profit!), but that applies equally to potato wedges as to rice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed they're that high quality: I assume they must have run out of the really, really ****ty ones.

dominos is utter filth

ReputationRep:
    lol!

You have a very strange idea about the quality of food sold by junk food chains. You physically couldn't buy food of that low quality from the supermarket.

dominos is right up there with kfc and burger king for the quality of its fare as being barely fit for human consumption.

ReputationRep:
    This sort of stuff happened all the time when I worked at Pizza Hut we sometimes ran out of ingredients so they sent me or someone else to Asda to buy stuff like Chip, Cheese, Pepperoni, Pepsi etc...

ReputationRep:
    you and i both know that britain's food and beverage industry have very low hygiene levels.
    in the grand scheme of things i don't think its a good idea to post these type of negative stories about Britain especially when this forum is frequented by a large majority of international students.
    what would they think if they saw news like this on here????

ReputationRep:
    quotes

Most companies do it though - I mean, take the cinema for example, I bet they buy the bags of chocolate and stuff for a pittance compared to what they sell it for, it's so expensive!

I work in a kids play centre and we go to Tescos to buy things we run low on, even socks! We buy 5 pairs for £1 from tescos and we sell them at £1 per pair. Even chicken nuggets and milk, if we run out we pop to tesco to buy some more, doesn't mean we sell them for cheaper!

This Pizza guy buying wedges, the wedges were probably more expensive than the ones they normally get anyway. They will order all their food in bulk and as a result it is cheaper. Just buying a few bags from Aldi will surely work out more expensive. Which suggests to us that Dominoes' food is overpriced. But we all knew that anyway.

Surely it's what needs to be done to keep businesses from going bust I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Only fools pay full price for Dominoes Pizza.

ReputationRep:
    Oh FFS it's a potato, same as any other potato, it's probably from the same original supplier anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Not anymore than the pub down the road selling syrup based lemonade that costs them pennies to do, and them charging me upwards of £2.
    If I go to the pub for a lemonade or to dominoes for potato wedges, I'm paying for someone else to provide me with that service so I don't have to.
    I know I have a huge bag of smart price chips in my freezer that cost less than a pound, and some garlic mayonnaise in the fridge and access to my own deep fat frier, but I'll still pay £2 for takeout chips with garlic mayo near my volunteer job because it's much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Makes You wonder, what do I pay for?!

ReputationRep:
    :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if people want something to complain about more it's Sainsburys buying Warburtons bread from us (Iceland) for £1, then selling them for £1.50, that was amusing, Sainsburys guy came in and wiped us out, wheeled them to their store and a customer who'd been in with us came back and said he'd seen him putting them straight out on their shelves, fair play to them tbh, we're getting our sales either way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Not shocked.

I bet SO many chains do this, by the way. They were unlucky to get caught.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.