Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stocks & Shares Platforms to Invest Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan44)
    Hi,

I've been meaning to invest a few thousand into the market for a while, although I have always had the trouble of being picky on the platform I wish to use.

I've had practice trading accounts on sites such as Investopedia for a few years, and have recently finished a trading challenge a company setup in my university, both of which I have had good experiences in.

Now is the time that I have time on my hands, and money in my pockets, and I want to know if anyone here has been there and done that and could give advice.

I have looked at platforms such as plus500, and eToro, although after looking at these, they do not seem to offer a wide variety of shares/stocks to invest in, and with eToro they only have a select few big brand public firms and even these are CFD's (Contracts for Difference) meaning that you only make profit from the difference in the buy and sell price.

What I'm really looking for is a platform where the whole market is available to me, whether it be a large firm or a small firm. I'm not really interested in FOREX, just stocks and commodities.

So any help would be hugely appreciated,

Cheers!
    You should keep an eye on Robin Hood

They are a startup online brokerage who are setting out to eradicate commissions. Once the platform is fully developed you'll be able to trade as much as you want without paying a dime in commissions - they're able to do this because their business model is focused on selling APIs to developers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You should keep an eye on Robin Hood

They are a startup online brokerage who are setting out to eradicate commissions. Once the platform is fully developed you'll be able to trade as much as you want without paying a dime in commissions - they're able to do this because their business model is focused on selling APIs to developers.
    Thanks for the tip!

Looks interesting to say the least, do you know if it is available to UK investors?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tip!

Looks interesting to say the least, do you know if it is available to UK investors?
    It's vaporware atm... it's not even in beta release and there hasn't been any announced release date.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    It's vaporware atm... it's not even in beta release and there hasn't been any announced release date.
    Lookie who it is, hi!!

I hope they are successful with this, it would be awesome to not have to worry about commissions again. Have you heard of Kapital? They have a pretty neat interface; kind of slow though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lookie who it is, hi!!

I hope they are successful with this, it would be awesome to not have to worry about commissions again. Have you heard of Kapital? They have a pretty neat interface; kind of slow though.
    Sup?

It looks like a really polished app, though we haven't seen any indications for more complex functionality when it comes to orders. I haven't, no. I'm with X-O but their interface is pretty much bare-bones only in return for £5.95 a trade.

I'm in two minds about Hargreaves Lansdown, and Barclays Stockbrokers. Looking at Barclays it does seem more down my street, with the possibility of higher returns (and losses), it seems similar to what I've learnt from practice accounts. And day trading is something I am keen on, especially with plenty of time over the Summer. The Barclays Stockbrokers Price Improver is a good selling point too!
      Barclays Stockbrokers would be better for you than HL then, there are other brokers that would be more useful likewise you could go direct but that only comes into play if you're rolling in the deep

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.