Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is beauty really that subjective? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGameOfScience)
    Ok i'll list a few:

Brad Pitt
    Robert patterson
    Angelina Jolie (although i dont like her apparently she is said to have a symmetrical face)
    search up the girl with the most symmetrical face her name is Florence Colgate
    Orlando Bloom
    just search up celebrities with facial symmetry and you will find a lot..
    She looks normal...

ReputationRep:
    Well there are variations in the level of attractiveness depending on preferences e.g. hair colour or lip shape, but in general no, beauty is not subjective.
    No-one would argue that Susan Boyle is more attractive than Emma Watson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambrosia_angel)
    She looks normal...
    exactly!! the most attractive face is the most average face, the one who's face is symmetrical

ReputationRep:
    I think people are taking TheGameOfScience's comment the wrong way.

He didn't claim that having a symmetrical face makes one attractive. Or that not having one makes one unattractive (there are 'attractive' celebrities with asymmetrical faces - even David Gandy, of all people)

He said that it's an attractive trait. And it is. Just like a strong jawline is seen as an attractive trait in males almost everywhere (except maybe East Asia?)
    In the same way that having a good jawline doesn't make an otherwise ugly face suddenly beautiful, neither does symmetry.

But it'll usually help. For plenty of people though, it's the little differences and asymmetries that make their face so fascinating and even so attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    UK.

and 10,000 is an extremely valid sample size for this kind of study.

The scientific evidence suggests that the hypothesized causation is false. What evidence do you have to the contrary other than your personal opinion?
    so it was only in the uk, its very culture biased then, the results may be different if it was performed in America where beauty is actually more looked upon, e.g- beauty pagents. so facial symmetry may be favored. The fact that it was performed in the UK means that the findings of this study cannot be generalized every single culture.

BUT luckily i live in the UK and what you have said has made me feel a little better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maharaniii)

lmao please. Plain jane. I'm sure there are untested people who have just as symmetrical. This is just advertising blonde.
    Your right there probably is, i was just listing people for the op that have near perfect facial symmetry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous Coward)

He didn't claim that having a symmetrical face makes one attractive. Or that not having one makes one unattractive (there are 'attractive' celebrities with asymmetrical faces - even David Gandy, of all people)

He said that it's an attractive trait. And it is. Just like a strong jawline is seen as an attractive trait in males almost everywhere (except maybe East Asia?)
    In the same way that having a good jawline doesn't make an otherwise ugly face suddenly beautiful, neither does symmetry.

But it'll usually help. For plenty of people though, it's the little differences and asymmetries that make their face so fascinating and even attractive.
    YES!!! my point exactly THANK YOU!!! i am glad you see what i am saying!!

ReputationRep:

But it'll usually help. For plenty of people though, it's the little differences and asymmetries that make their face so fascinating and even so attractive.
    No. People equate beauty to symmetry. That was conversation here. And so saying that this woman has "most" symmetrical is saying her face is example of perfect or beautiful. And I beg to disagree. Also I have seen experiment where people with crooked faces or not lined up have been surveyed as less attractive right away. This is no new thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Hijabi)
    ​For example, is there a person on earth who the whole world can agree is very attractive? Or is the level of someone's attractiveness something that's controversial
    i think its a yes or no answer.
    for example, i have friends who have very good face shapes but have very low hygiene levels.
    they take baths like maybe once a week and they don't wash their hands after they use the washroom.
    what im saying is that looks are just one aspect of the whole package.
    nose around and you'll unfold the many other important layers.
    be prepared for rude shocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGameOfScience)
    YES!!! my point exactly THANK YOU!!! i am glad you see what i am saying!!
    But that's not what you were saying.

It means that all your facial features are aligned perfectly or near perfectly like your eyes on same plane and your eyebrows on same plane and your features look the same e.g- both your eyebrows look the same, instead of one eyebrow being chipped in comparison to the other and all of your features suit your face, like not an overly big nose in comparison to the eyes, mouth and eyebrows etc, also the edges of your lips should be directly vertical to your pupils, basically as someone has probably already said in this thread, the golden ratio, also search up the girl with the most symmetrical face and other models, you will see that they have near perfect symmetrical faces, or look at all the faces of the famous or non-famous guys you like and you will see that most have a near symmetrical face.

Here all over you are equating being liked and being model and being perfect with the symmetry. So you mention the florence lady to say she is example of perfect.

ReputationRep:

He made more than one comment.

ReputationRep:
    Physically there are universals such as symmetry (also a more widely considered positive trait throughout the animal kingdom).

In general, it will be a small list of commonalities relating to the health of a human and then a larger list of cultural and historical preferences depending on where in the world you ask.

ReputationRep:
    No. People equate beauty to symmetry. That was conversation here. And so saying that this woman has "most" symmetrical is saying her face is example of perfect or beautiful. And I beg to disagree. Also I have seen experiment where people with crooked faces or not lined up have been surveyed as less attractive right away. This is no new thing.
    No they don't. It's not that black and white. How many women would even notice David Gandy's asymmetry when stood next to him? Did it stop him becoming a successful male model?

And if those people were surveyed as less attractive (interesting that this goes completely against what Cole-slaw says that he found in studies) then there's no guarantee that it's to do with their lack of symmetry (unless it's extreme) as I'm sure that not every symmetrical face was deemed attractive either.

It's slightly different for men and women though, I'd agree. Because with men, asymmetry can add a ruggedness/manliness to an otherwise pretty face. Whereas with women it's rarely seen as beneficial to how they look.

For women (more than men) it's seen as an attractive trait. But it obviously doesn't follow that the more symmetrical you are, the more beautiful you are. Loads of celebrities have had pictures altered, and they look worse when 100% symmetrical.

ReputationRep:
    No they don't. How many women would even notice David Gandy's asymmetry when stood next to him? Did it stop him becoming a successful male model?

And if those people were surveyed as less attractive (interesting that that goes completely against what Coleslaw says that he found in studies) then there's no guarantee that it's to do with their lack of symmetry (unless it's extreme) as I'm sure that not every symmetrical face was deemed attractive either.

It's slightly different for men and women though, I'd agree. Because with men asymmetry can add a ruggedness/manliness to an otherwise pretty face. With women it's rarely seen as beneficial to how they look.

For women it's seen as an attractive trait. But it obviously doesn't follow that the more symmetrical you are, the more beautiful you are. Loads of celebrities have had pictures altered, and they look worse when 100% symmetrical.
    I didn't say limited or exclusively symmetrical is attractive. I also didn't say people are literally in their heads looking for someone with symmetrical face. I have just seen experiments where the crooked face or not proportioned face is deemed unattractive by random people walking by stopped to answer. People are attracted for different reasons, they just have preferences and then race and culture come in as well. So this rule thing will play itself out. There are people who have the alignment and not beautiful as we just saw the colgate lady who honestly is not beautiful to many people I know people who will not find her perfect lol I am sure I don't have full perfect ratio but I am constantly being pursued though I might not be able to be model sure but it doesn't mean anything. Who takes a diagram to someone's face anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say limited or exclusively symmetrical is attractive. I also didn't say people are literally in their heads looking for someone with symmetrical face. I have just seen experiments where the crooked face or not proportioned face is deemed unattractive by random people walking by stopped to answer. People are attracted for different reasons, they just have preferences and then race and culture come in as well. So this rule thing will play itself out. There are people who have the alignment and not beautiful as we just saw the colgate lady who honestly is not beautiful to many people I know people who will not find her perfect lol I am sure I don't have full perfect ratio but I am constantly being pursued though I might not be able to be model sure but it doesn't mean anything. Who takes a diagram to someone's face anyway.
    Well you're basically agreeing with my initial post then.
    It's seen as an attractive trait, by and large. Just as plump lips for women, and strong jaw for men.

But it's not enough to make one attractive (or more attractive than someone else who doesn't have that trait) and one can still be attractive (even to the extent that they model at the highest level - David Gandy) without it.
    It's slightly more of a big deal on a woman's face than a man's because it can add ruggedness to a man's face. But again, a woman can still look good with asymmetry.

I don't really get why you quoted me in the first place, just to basically argue the same points.
    An attractive trait doesn't mean an attractive face.

ReputationRep:
    Well you're basically agreeing with my initial post then.
    It's seen as an attractive trait, by and large. Just as plump lips for women, and strong jaw for men.

But it's not enough to make one attractive (or more attractive than someone else who doesn't have that trait) and one can still be attractive (even to the extent that they model at the highest level - David Gandy) without it.
    It's slightly more of a big deal on a woman's face than a man's because it can add ruggedness to a man's face. But again, a woman can still look good with asymmetry.

I don't really get why you quoted me in the first place, just to basically argue the same points.
    An attractive trait doesn't mean an attractive face.
    I can quote you? And you said "taking wrong way" so I defended myself. Also, you said "no they don't" to me so I defended myself against that. That's why I quoted you. If we agreed in the first place "I don't really get why you said people are taking it the wrong way, the comment I responded to."

ReputationRep:

lmao please. Plain jane. I'm sure there are untested people who have just as symmetrical. This is just advertising blonde.
    She's clearly not a 'plain Jane' though- she's very pretty!! I don't think her hair colour matters... Whatever hair colour she is undeniably pretty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyLouise2)
    She's clearly not a 'plain Jane' though- she's very pretty!! I don't think her hair colour matters... Whatever hair colour she is undeniably pretty!
    Relax on the "!" I nevr said she wasn't pretty, you saw a photo and went straight to without reading context and God I hate that! :rolleyes: The person I quoted said her name is Florence Colgate and she has "perfect" face regards to symmetry. And I said she might have the ratio down but she is nothing special. I know many people who are over the blonde blue eye look. So it's to denounce that having the perfect face means you will be found beautiful by everyone.

ReputationRep:
    But that's not what you were saying.

It means that all your facial features are aligned perfectly or near perfectly like your eyes on same plane and your eyebrows on same plane and your features look the same e.g- both your eyebrows look the same, instead of one eyebrow being chipped in comparison to the other and all of your features suit your face, like not an overly big nose in comparison to the eyes, mouth and eyebrows etc, also the edges of your lips should be directly vertical to your pupils, basically as someone has probably already said in this thread, the golden ratio, also search up the girl with the most symmetrical face and other models, you will see that they have near perfect symmetrical faces, or look at all the faces of the famous or non-famous guys you like and you will see that most have a near symmetrical face.

Here all over you are equating being liked and being model and being perfect with the symmetry. So you mention the florence lady to say she is example of perfect.
    what the hell are you on about!!! daisychain_ basically asked me what does it mean to have a symmetrical face, so i was explaining what facial symmetry is! and i am saying near symmetrical face which means not perfectly symmetrical!! would you date a guy who had one eye lower than the other and chipped eyebrows!!! ALSO i was saying that models have near symmetrical faces as an example of the people who do have symmetrical faces. I am saying that symmetry is an attractive trait and more often than not people do like other people with facial symmetry, but really its a subconscious thing, i mean you wouldn't look for facial symmetry and notice it, its just subconscious, like limbal rings. I never said she was perfect, i said she has a symmetrical face, i also see your quote of:

Idk anyone who doesn't find Johnny Depp strangely and effortless handsome.

this is johnny depp and you find him handsome now look at his facial symmetry and you will see he has NEAR PERFECT features. Now do you see why symmetry is an attractive trait.

ReputationRep:
    Relax on the "!" I nevr said she wasn't pretty, you saw a photo and went straight to without reading context and God I hate that! :rolleyes: The person I quoted said her name is Florence Colgate and she has "perfect" face regards to symmetry. And I said she might have the ratio down but she is nothing special. I know many people who are over the blonde blue eye look. So it's to denounce that having the perfect face means you will be found beautiful by everyone.
    Yes you did... You said she was a 'plain Jane' which clearly has negative connotations and you wouldn't describe someone who is pretty in that way...

I know who the person you quoted is. 'She is nothing special' - well, she has a very symmetrical face which is deemed an attractive feature, so I would argue that she is quite 'special' in a way as most people don't have a very symmetrical face like hers.

What's wrong with the blonde - hair blue eyed look? - can't all hair colours and eye colours be beautiful?

'I know many people who are over the blonde blue eyed look' - It kinda sounds like you have it in for people who have blonde hair and blue eyes.. If you do, I don't think that's fair. As I've said, there's beauty in every hair and eye colour, to denounce people who have blonde hair and blue eyes isn't really fair.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.