Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who are the top 8 squads in europe. List the order. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Walcott is a top 8 player imo. They only need a striker, a winger, a DM and a fullback. If they got a top striker and a top DM they'd be firmly in the top 8 in place of dortmund though.
    You didn't have Dortmund in your top 8? Anyway, you can say that about any team. If United had a CB, 2 CMs and a winger we'd be right up there. Maybe even just 1 CM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    GK: United
    CB: Arsenal
    FB: United
    CM: Arsenal
    CAM: United
    Wingers: Arsenal
    Forwards: United

4-3 m8 umad?
    if we get Aurier then FB > Arsenal.

no bias but chesney > de gea

gg 4-3 possibly 5-3 Arsenal.

umad m8?

ReputationRep:
    You didn't play their first team though, they had loads of injuries.
    That only strengthens my point then? If they had all these injuries surely they are in the top 8

Besides you're wrong anyway I'm pretty sure they had one injury in the first game and maybe 3 in the second

you can have a better squad than someone and finish lower in the group due to lower quality first team

ReputationRep:
    GK: United
    CB: Arsenal
    FB: United
    CM: Arsenal
    CAM: United
    Wingers: Arsenal
    Forwards: United

4-3 m8 umad?
    CAM united? LOL come on

Oezil > Mata
    Cazorla > Kagawa
    Ramsey > Herrera (both are CMs but can play further forward)

who else do we want to compare, Fellaini... Cleverley?
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junaid95)
    CAM united? LOL come on

Oezil > Mata
    Cazorla > Kagawa
    Ramsey > Herrera (both are CMs but can play further forward)

who else do we want to compare, Fellaini... Cleverley?
    :laugh:
    Lmao

Mata = Ozil
    Rooney > Cazorla
    Kagawa > Ox

You left out Rooney so I can't really take you seriously

(Original post by baconbutty)
    That only strengthens my point then? If they had all these injuries surely they are in the top 8

Besides you're wrong anyway I'm pretty sure they had one injury in the first game and maybe 3 in the second

you can have a better squad than someone and finish lower in the group due to lower quality first team
    How does it strengthen your point? We're not discussing whether they're in the top 8, your first reply to me was nothing to do with that.

That is true, but first team is more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)

umad m8?

ReputationRep:
    How does it strengthen your point? We're not discussing whether they're in the top 8, your first reply to me was nothing to do with that.
    Your argument against them being in the top 8 was finishing level on points in the champions league group with Napoli and dortmund which is more a reflection of the strength of first team than squad. You then went on to say dortmund had loads of injuries which if were true and they still performed to that level would clearly put them in the top 8

ReputationRep:
    You didn't have Dortmund in your top 8? Anyway, you can say that about any team. If United had a CB, 2 CMs and a winger we'd be right up there. Maybe even just 1 CM.
    It was a hard choice. I said top 8 squads. Dortmund's first team is top 8. It's probably level with Chelsea's first team. Now with Immobile and Ramos they have better striker depth too. Atlético I think will retain that top 8 status next season, their midfield will stay in tact, they have bought a young striker in angel correa and Raul Garcia did very well as a striker for them, they have sergio asenjo and Royo for goalkeepers which will ease the pressure of losing courtois. I don't think their team is severely weakened as their midfield is still intact, they score a lot of goals when Diego Costa wasn't firing and that won them the league.

It was nip and tuck with Juve, who have a fantastic squad. Dortmund have weakened a little in first team quality although they have strengthened their rotation options, Schieber for Adrian Ramos is a great improvement.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao

Mata = Ozil
    Rooney > Cazorla
    Kagawa > Ox

You left out Rooney so I can't really take you seriously

That is true, but first team is more important.
    Since when is Rooney a CAM? He is a striker mate.

Oh and Mata = Oezil? Lmao log off lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Arsenal probably do have a top 8 squad but the only reason i dismiss them is because when Ramsey got injured last season, you lot fell apart. Also your strikers arent as good as some of the listed top 8 squads, your fullbacks are shakey (now that Sagna has gone). Your midfield and CBs are probably top 5 but the rest of the team isnt close to top 8.
    Ramsey, Wilshere were both out, who play the box to box role for them and that's when they crumbled badly and had to use Chamberlain/Flamini there.

ReputationRep:
    Since when is Rooney a CAM? He is a striker mate.

Oh and Mata = Oezil? Lmao log off lad.
    Since he's played there for the last 2 seasons, including the world cup just gone? :erm:

Chelsea's player of the season both years he was there. 6 goals and 5 assists in 15 games for United, while mostly playing on the wing.

Your argument against them being in the top 8 was finishing level on points in the champions league group with Napoli and dortmund which is more a reflection of the strength of first team than squad. You then went on to say dortmund had loads of injuries which if were true and they still performed to that level would clearly put them in the top 8
    I'd still have them below Juventus.

(Original post by Basiji)

umad m8?
    Let's concentrate on the players both teams actually have yeah? as things are we look more likely to make more signings anyway.

No chance with Chesney > De Gea

ReputationRep:
    Don't know enough about their fringe players but if recent European success is anything to go by dortmund are a distance better than them

ReputationRep:
    Jam leaving out Arsenal :laugh:

Not that I disagree, but it's obvious what you're doing :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Don't know enough about their fringe players but if recent European success is anything to go by dortmund are a distance better than them
    Meh, last season Dortmund went through on GD while Juve went out by 1 point. Could have easily gone the other way. Once Dortmund got out the group they didn't do much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Since he's played there for the last 2 seasons, including the world cup just gone? :erm:

Chelsea's player of the season both years he was there. 6 goals and 5 assists in 15 games for United, while mostly playing on the wing.

Let's concentrate on the players both teams actually have yeah? as things are we look more likely to make more signings anyway.

No chance with Chesney > De Gea
    He's played CF i.e. just behind the striker but not in CAM

Mata was racking up the goals and assists against deadwood like Norwich at the end of the season, had absolute shockers against Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool.

If we're going to talk about stats then theres no one better than Mesut Oezil as over the past 5 seasons he has the most number of assists and has created the most chances.

ReputationRep:
    People still think Madrid when barca have recently got ter Stegen, rakitic and will get suarez? Strange.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester Utd haven't even bought the ''top players'' their fans think they'll buy, and their fans are going off on one already :rolleyes:

Assuming Utd play in a 4-3-3 system (Van Gaal's default formation):

-----------Rooney-----RvP-------Valenica/Januzaj
    --------------Herrera--------Mata------------
    ------------------CDM/Carrick-------------------
    -------Shaw----Evans----New CB/Jones/Smalling----Rafael
    -----------------------DDG-------------------

Along with the dead wood subs they have such as Cleverley, Fellaini, Nani, Carrick etc. this squad ain't up there at all. Man Utd need a top winger still, and they need to find a better position for Rooney, because he can't play as an inside forward/winger, or an AM with Mata. If it was a 4-4-2 diamond, with RvP and Rooney up top, then it would work.

Arsenal > Manchester Utd's squad clearly.

Liverpool are Liverpool due to their really strong strike force. They need to sort out their defence and their CM...it's surely time for Gerrard to call it a day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    People still think Madrid when barca have recently got ter Stegen, rakitic and will get suarez? Strange.
    That might have something to do with neither Stegen or Rakitic having played a game for them yet and Suarez still being a Liverpool player.

Just a thought m8.

ReputationRep:
    He's played CF i.e. just behind the striker but not in CAM

Mata was racking up the goals and assists against deadwood like Norwich at the end of the season, had absolute shockers against Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool.

If we're going to talk about stats then theres no one better than Mesut Oezil as over the past 5 seasons he has the most number of assists and has created the most chances.
    He's played CAM lol

While Ozil was great against the big teams? He was absolutely awful against Liverpool in particular

It's easy to get those stats when you have the players he did around him

ReputationRep:
    Meh, last season Dortmund went through on GD while Juve went out by 1 point. Could have easily gone the other way. Once Dortmund got out the group they didn't do much anyway.
    Dortmunds group was harder though Tbf juve should be finishing 2nd in theirs comfortably if their squad is that good.

Dortmund also went out 3-2 on aggregate to real missing 5 of their 1st team players is there many other teams who could of realistically done that. Also if you remember the chances that mkihtaryian missed in the second leg they really should of either won or taken it to extra time

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.