Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to tell friends I am severely depressed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Thank you appreciate the support, I hope you're coping well
    This was a fairly long time ago for me, I'm awesome these days. Keep reminding yourself that you'll be okay in the long run. You got this. :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece Sure)
    I'm sure they were relieved.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    This was a fairly long time ago for me, I'm awesome these days. Keep reminding yourself that you'll be okay in the long run. You got this. :five:
    Glad to hear it! And thanks hun :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not complicate my friendships with that responsibility. It puts strain on them, guilt on me, and ends with me cutting them off.

Just a personal outlook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I'd rather not complicate my friendships with that responsibility. It puts strain on them, guilt on me, and ends with me cutting them off.

Just a personal outlook.
    I understand that outlook. And I'd never try to be a burden on my friends or expect anything from them. It would just be nice to have some support as I don't have it from anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that outlook. And I'd never try to be a burden on my friends or expect anything from them. It would just be nice to have some support as I don't have it from anywhere else.
    I'm not saying you do. I'm saying you'll feel like you are, especially if you're severely depressed and being supported a lot. I've lost my best friends over it, not because it was too much for them, but because it was too much for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I'm not saying you do. I'm saying you'll feel like you are, especially if you're severely depressed and being supported a lot. I've lost my best friends over it, not because it was too much for them, but because it was too much for me.
    I've never experienced that myself. I had an old friend who knows about it (we're not friend any more) she got very passive aggressive towards me and treated me like **** because she didn't believe in depression. Those are the kinds of things I'm worried about, I generally don't push people away for things like this.

ReputationRep:
    I've never experienced that myself. I had an old friend who knows about it (we're not friend any more) she got very passive aggressive towards me and treated me like **** because she didn't believe in depression. Those are the kinds of things I'm worried about, I generally don't push people away for things like this.
    OH MAN

She sounds like a horrible/stupid person.

Didn't they analyse the brains of suicide victims and find that 90% had abnormalities (mental illness)?

Isn't there evidence that the hypothalamus (I think) is shrunken in people with depression? And that as you recover, it grows again?

...tbf, I haven't read that much into it. But I got that from lazily watching a few documentaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    OH MAN

She sounds like a horrible/stupid person.

Didn't they analyse the brains of suicide victims and find that 90% had abnormalities (mental illness)?

Isn't there evidence that the hypothalamus (I think) is shrunken in people with depression? And that as you recover, it grows again?

...tbf, I haven't read that much into it. But I got that from lazily watching a few documentaries.
    I'm honestly not sure, I've not done that much reading into it. I try not to think about it most the time but it wouldn't surprise me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm honestly not sure, I've not done that much reading into it. I try not to think about it most the time but it wouldn't surprise me.
    Fair enough. Don't quote me on it!

I just got that from my memory of some documentaries I watched.

It's okay you made sense thank you
    I just worry about my friend, I'd rather put his needs above mine and I'm not sure if he'd be comfortable talking about it. As for my other friends I love them to bits, one in particular I trust but I don't want to drive them away with my depression as it has affected relationships badly in the past for me :/
    I do much the same with my friends (regardless of their circumstances and what they say, I still feel guilty about telling them my problems) to the extent I've been described as being too selfless. I think it's worth you telling him though, and give him the option of saying he doesn't feel able to. One thing a friend has said to me repeatedly is to not put my own perceptions about being annoying/burdening/asking too much etc. onto other people - let them decide what they can deal with. I've had it really negatively affect relationships as well, meaning I find it even harder to trust people now, but I think you have to take that chance...

(Original post by AngelPhys)
    It is, lol.
    Sadly that isn't the case. Often people don't know how to react or feel unable to help, or they just don't want to know for whatever reason.

Maybe for you, but it's not that way for everyone. I struggled to tell my doctor and well that went really badly and I didn't speak about it anyone for over a year.
    :hugs: It can be so difficult to find friends/medics who you trust and who help, but it is so so worth it managing to find those people (as much as I feel guilty for telling people anything).

ReputationRep:
    I just went out and told my friends. It was really hard but the ones that I told were actually very nice about it and since than they are the people I call when I start feeling like I can't do something. Telling friends seems like a big and horrible step but if they are real friends they will have your back and help you through it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.