Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whose to blame for British obesity? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Why parents in rare cases?

Parents over feed their children. They become obese.

Like an addiction, if you are obese as a child/teenager, it is far more likely to be carried on as an adult.

I remember a Doc telling me about how Parents were offered education and help if their child was found to be overweight in a trial. Virtually, all of the parents refused because they felt their child was not overweight or their child would grow out of it or they were not overfeeding their child and etc. Excuse after excuse.
    Well, OK from my personal opinion (I mean everyone has different opinions and I completely understand if you disagree) I believe that yes, parents can be blamed in some cases i.e. those parents who do overfeed their children, or sincerely do not contribute towards the children's health and don't really care about it and I can totally see how in these cases that children will become obese.

But on the other hand, I think for some parents it may be very difficult. For example, nowadays, unhealthy foods which are high in sugar, salt and fat which contribute to obesity are far cheaper than most healthy options that are available so therefore, families on lower incomes may have to turn to the unhealthy options in order to provide for their family. Similarly, parents who may be uneducated in the matter may struggle to help their children to lose weight leading further to obesity. Similarly, if children are anything like I was at a young age, they may "Secret eat". Their parents may provide the healthy alternatives but the children may chose the far more unhealthy options when they are away from their parents or may swap food in their packed lunches with unhealthy options of their friends and may even spend their pocket money on unhealthy food, this is what caused me to be overweight as a child not from my parents bad decisions!

However, I think it could be argued that it depends on the situation of the parents and family etc. in these cases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    Let's face it we're (the British) one of the most unhealthy countries on Earth.:cheers:

We eat processed cereals for breakfast like coco pops or corn flakes which have to have added vitamins because they lack any nutritional content.

For lunch we sit at our desks eating sandwiches and pasties from Gregs. Or drink starbucks coffees. Or have a McDonalds BigMac with a super size Coca Cola - which is basically just damp sugar.

Then for supper we might eat a microwaved meal or a take-away curry.

In between eating biscuits and cakes from the supermarket - not freshly made.

All our supermarket bread is highly processed with bleached white flour, soya(!!) flour and all sorts of additives.

So firstly whose to blaim that we're so unhealthy? McDonalds? Coca Cola? Capitalism? America? TV? Supermarkets?

And secondly what can we do about it? Should we just ban processed sugar for our own good? (At least then we wouldn't have the worst teeth too!)

Or should we just be proud of being a country of over-sized people?

(And if you don't think we've changed have a look at the Top of the Pops repeats from the seventies where everyone was about half the size!)
    No "we" don't.

The British are not some robots that all act the same. The only thing in common we have with each other is that we live on the same Island with the same government. Please don't categorise me as a fat moron.

ReputationRep:
    American cultural influences.

ReputationRep:
    Parents if the obese person is a kid.
    The person themselves if they are old enough to know better and eat what they want.

ReputationRep:
    who's* to blame for fat people?
    hmm
    fat people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    hmm
    fat people?
    This^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    guverment r 2 blame,espeshially 4 there backing of mayjor coorperations and lack of real edyucatetion

ReputationRep:
    We don't have a culture of good food unlike, sayyy, the French.

ReputationRep:
    How come no one mentioned social media. If some fat girl puts up a picture in her underwear, it's all "she's wonderful," and "it's okay as long as she's confident." When someone tell her she's shortening her life expectancy, they are "jealous bullies." And of course, half the fat girls and their supporters are like, "ew, look at that skinny girl, she's like a dog." We've gone from fat shaming to shaming average sized people. At the end of the day, excess weight is unhealthy and shows NOTHING but greed, with the exception of those with medical conditions, which are rare.

ReputationRep:
    People started getting fat around the 80s and 90s, increased portion sizes and reliance on fast food, snacking etc. British culture doesn't really place much emphasis on the importance of food so we were probably worse affected than most places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    How come no one mentioned social media. If some fat girl puts up a picture in her underwear, it's all "she's wonderful," and "it's okay as long as she's confident." When someone tell her she's shortening her life expectancy, they are "jealous bullies." And of course, half the fat girls and their supporters are like, "ew, look at that skinny girl, she's like a dog." We've gone from fat shaming to shaming average sized people. At the end of the day, excess weight is unhealthy and shows NOTHING but greed, with the exception of those with medical conditions, which are rare.
    The fact fat activism exists shows how messed up society has become.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    hmm
    fat people?
    ^^

cheap high calorie meals may be more readily available now, but no one is forcing them to eat

ReputationRep:
    The only people to blame are the obese themselves, who are nothing more than victims of their own undisciplined self-indulgent lifestyles and bad choices. No sympathy for them whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Parents. When I live at home I put on weight. When I live away from home I mostly lose it. I make better cooking and food choices myself and I am not pressured into eating or whatever at meals. I can eat on my own terms. I'm not even arsed about having quite a bit of fat on me as I will just gym and eat healthy and lose it when I head back to uni.

The simple solution is people should just leave others alone tbh and let them do as they wish instead of pressuring them.

ReputationRep:
    Fatties only have themselves to blame. Unless they're a child, then the parents.

ReputationRep:
    People lack self control in all areas, consumption of food, sexual desires, spending of money.
    Now that food is readily available / easy to prepare, it is now easy to over eat.
    You can't tax obesity away like the government is trying to do. Sugar does not make you fat, going above you caloric maintenance level will make you fat. This has not been preached well enough, all we hear is food pyramid/5 a day. Even if you eat fruits and veggies, to much calories will make you gain weight.

ReputationRep:
    Dinkleberg.

ReputationRep:
    Okay the parents for young children who know no better. But once they understand about obesity the person placing that double fried king size egg muffin burger into their mouth is to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Parents. When I live at home I put on weight. When I live away from home I mostly lose it. I make better cooking and food choices myself and I am not pressured into eating or whatever at meals. I can eat on my own terms. I'm not even arsed about having quite a bit of fat on me as I will just gym and eat healthy and lose it when I head back to uni.

The simple solution is people should just leave others alone tbh and let them do as they wish instead of pressuring them.
    i have to agree. What is it with grandparents, they seem to think you are in a state of perpetual starvation.

ReputationRep:
    On a srs note when someone looks at their rolls forming in-front of the mirror, does anything clicks in their brain like 'I'm a fat as hell I need to stop'.
    To go over your caloric maintenance on a regular basis without trying must take one hell of an appetite/time.
    Its just funny how some people think they can reverse it by consuming fruits, some magic seed, magic fat burning pill, juiceplus, green tea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.