What do you think a 'United States of Europe' would look like? Watch

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Whatever it looks like it needs to happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Well unfortunately for them, German is not spoken widely and French is resigned mainly to a part of Africa infested by terrorists and not going anywhere. Spanish is encroaching in the US as a second language, most Brazilians (though they speak Portugese officially) have a reasonable grasp of it and the likes of Nigeria, the east african federation (if it finally forms) and India ensure that English will dominate.
    The Germans and French couldn't care less, though, and are doing better than the UK, which invented the most important language in the world.

They'll continue to speak their languages, just as the Swedes will continue to speak Swedish, but that's what makes this continent the greatest on the planet. Our differences encourage competition and diversity, and if roofed under a common idea or goal, which is democratic, this continent would remain light-years ahead of the rest (admittedly not in terms of military unless an EU military was formed - in which case, yes, Europe would dominate).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If the UK left the EU i'm curious as to why you'd oppose the remainder becoming federal unless you agree with OP with regards to cultural conservatism.
    As long as Britain is not part of it I don't care what they do. Although, a federal Europe will be stronger than the EU as it is. The UK is predicted to be the largest economy in Europe by 2025 so I like the idea of a British-dominated Europe using manipulation to better ourselves. A federal Europe would threaten this.

I was thinking about it today, I'm not against the idea of extremely close relations between certain EU countries (all the net contributors). Stop shot of Parliament buildings but work close together to, as awful as it sounds, exploit and manipulate other countries to better yourself. The USA did it with the Petrodollar and Britain did it when building the empire. Obviously it's unreasonable to think of a return to an empire but building up power is feasible. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm extremely stupid and are missing everything but I feel as if Britain has become so obsessed with passive diplomacy and trying to please everyone that British interests are not being fought for. Britain needs a more aggressive foreign policy. For example, Cameron had a war of rhetoric but achieved nothing. He didn't even consider withholding payments to the EU, restricting imports, restring movement of people, vetoing everything in the future etc... He just accepted but criticised. Argentina and the Falklands - he criticised again and sent a half-equipped destroyer to the region. There was no push for sanctions against Argentina or seizing Argentine assets in London. Britain has a unique trump card. Even if the USA is officially neutral, when push comes to shove they back Britain as there's more to lose in sour relations with Britain than there is with Spain and Argentine (we saw this in 1982).

ReputationRep:
    A developed and less democratic version of India.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how I feel about a federal EU. On the one hand, it may be the only way we can compete in a world dominated by megastates like America and China. On the other, it could erode national identities and the current EU is not as democratic as it should be.

I reckon it could turn out like India- each state in India has its own language, culture, race and traditions, but they also have a common Indian identity.

In terms of the language, it would undoubtedly be English, as Britain will very shortly be Europe's largest economy and English is already the established lingua franca of the EU.

It looks like the EU may be heading towards a federal nation state, however, proving just how redundant independence movements like Scotland's really are.

ReputationRep:
    The EU, at present, is a federal country, just with powers at the federal level that most countries hold at the state level (e.g. waste management policy) and others at the state level than most hold at the national level (e.g. navies; note that the US states all had sovereign control of their own armies before their Civil War, which is what made it possible, and in a very technical sense some still do).

The debate, as I understand, is about whether the EU should transform from a federal state into a unitary state with a single, entirely centralised, imperial government. Though perhaps debate is the wrong word for this steady and unwanted drift.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.