Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend made a rape joke about me... Watch

(Original post by rockrunride)
    Was your comment about keeping an eye on her in earnest or in jest?
    Earnest, I wouldn't want her to walk home alone do I? I would look after her if she was throwing up everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You joke about raping your boyfriend or your boyfriend rapes you?

I joke with my girlfriend, just never something like rape.
    We have once or twice, yeah. All in jest, of course. It's not like we'd actually rape one another.

I personally think you need to man up if you're seriously offended by this.

ReputationRep:
    Puss puss

(Original post by Holby_fanatic)
    We have once or twice, yeah. All in jest, of course. It's not like we'd actually rape one another.

I personally think you need to man up if you're seriously offended by this.
    Hilarious, I bet you being gang-raped would be hysterical. Pay tickets for that.

ReputationRep:
    We were talking about going out for a drink and I said if you drink, I won't drink as someone has to keep an eye on you and she made a joke about me saying I might rape her.

I was seriously offended and quite hurt that someone could say that. I really despise crime, especially sexual crimes so I was hurt that she could say that I was capable of something.

Should I just take it on the head and "man up" or do I have a reason to be upset?

She meant it as a joke, I once said to a guy 'you might rape me' as a joke of course but he didn't take it very well.

So I've learned not to say such thing as guys seem to be easily offended by it.

ReputationRep:
    You is one wet wipe fam

ReputationRep:
    We were talking about going out for a drink and I said if you drink, I won't drink as someone has to keep an eye on you and she made a joke about me saying I might rape her.

I was seriously offended and quite hurt that someone could say that. I really despise crime, especially sexual crimes so I was hurt that she could say that I was capable of something.

Should I just take it on the head and "man up" or do I have a reason to be upset?
    I was hoping the inside of the thread would say something like "...and I laughed at it rather than moaning because I'm not a whiny feminist".

Unfortunately not.

Man up.

ReputationRep:
    Come on man, it was just a little joke and obviously she didn't mean anything more. Just respond with something equally jokey and move on...

ReputationRep:
    The thing is girls can make a joke about rape. Boys can't. Imagine a guy saying "yeah if I drink, make sure you don't, just in case I lose control and rape someone." All hell would break lose.

I agree with OP, jokes about rape are not right. I was with a girl once - had known her for about two weeks after meeting her in sixth form. We happened to catch the wrong train and totally ended up lost. Because it was the winter, it got dark pretty quick and she made a joke saying that "I hope you don't turn out to be a serial killer or rapist". It was a joke but I thought it was totally uncalled for.

The only thing you can do is laugh it off. Don't take it seriously. Trust me, we also some pretty stupid things sometimes that we wish we hadn't said.

ReputationRep:
    Why would ANYBODY make such a 'joke'. Something sounding alarming here! Stay clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    The thing is girls can make a joke about rape. Boys can't. Imagine a guy saying "yeah if I drink, make sure you don't, just in case I lose control and rape someone." All hell would break lose.

I agree with OP, jokes about rape are not right. I was with a girl once - had known her for about two weeks after meeting her in sixth form. We happened to catch the wrong train and totally ended up lost. Because it was the winter, it got dark pretty quick and she made a joke saying that "I hope you don't turn out to be a serial killer or rapist". It was a joke but I thought it was totally uncalled for.

The only thing you can do is laugh it off. Don't take it seriously. Trust me, we also some pretty stupid things sometimes that we wish we hadn't said.
    If anything them joking about it says they think you aren't one.

Some of you need a thicker skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saarah_)
    She meant it as a joke, I once said to a guy 'you might rape me' as a joke of course but he didn't take it very well.

So I've learned not to say such thing as guys seem to be easily offended by it.
    No not being offended. Called being disgusted somebody would make such a joke. I could NEVER imagine a mate turning around and say that. Or myself.

I

ReputationRep:
    It was a joke, but a joke of bad taste and its totally understandable you'd be insulted. I would try to brush it off (because she won't have meant that, it looks like you know that already) but maybe tell her you don't like her saying stuff like that if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    Not man up, but lighten up. Bloody hell it is a joke...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    If anything them joking about it says they think you aren't one.

Some of you need a thicker skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Look, it's not about thicker skin or taking it like a man. The point I'm making is that there's a difference between a joke and a crude comment. Would these be acceptable to say to a person:

"You seem to like kids quite a lot ............ I bet it's because you're a paedophile!"

"You have very dark skin ............. you must sell drugs and love knives!"

"You're so close with your sister .......... I bet you've fantasised about her!"

I highly doubt it and I don't think it would make anyone laugh.

I'm old enough to understand OP's friend's comment was pointless - I wouldn't spend sleepless nights being offended by such comments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightOwl1985)
    No not being offended. Called being disgusted somebody would make such a joke. I could NEVER imagine a mate turning around and say that. Or myself.

I

Sorry. I know that now and I've never said it to anyone else, I was obviously joking when I said it. Not my fault I have an odd sense of humour.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why anyone should think rape is a joke, that's really immature and unpleasant, and pretty disgusting. I don't care if it is your type of "humour" don't fricking say it because you don't know who you are talking to.

I'd be upset if someone said that so, no need to call OP a pussy.

Yeah maybe what she said was in bad taste... but seriously man "if you drink I won't drink as I have to look after you?!!" Patronizing and slightly controlling. So you're never going to have a drink with her then?

ReputationRep:
    Ask her which comedian said that, and if she replies with anything resembling "they didnt" remind her that maybe its because its not that ****ing funny

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, not another male feminist. If you're not happy you could go and find a more suitable girlfriend on OK Cupid, you'd fit right in there. Enjoy being told that you should hate yourself for being male!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.