Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What universities do you 'look down upon'? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertWittyName)
    'The University of Life'. Seriously, who came up with this crappy phrase?
    Whats the UOL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    I did, but I graduated last summer and now I'm doing a Master's and subsequent PhD at Oxford- which makes it even weirder, going from a university no-one has heard of to one that, well, everyone has!

Fair enough. But what you said is a very common view of Oxford, all those snobbos and posh people, etc. etc., and whilst I completely understand why people say it, it can get quite frustrating. I find it embarrassing because when I talk to people who may not have gone to uni themselves, they immediately assume that because I'm here, I must be 'one of those people'- despite the fact that my own parents didn't go to uni...It's just difficult experiencing that sort of immediate, often harsh, judgement. But there are plenty of benefits of being here so I won't complain too much!
    To be fair, half the people there are pretty uptight. If they treat you as such, punch them.
    Okay, don't punch them, but seriously, you're gonna get a very high valued degree. If it was me I'd tell them to kiss my butt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Lol all of them
    Including yours?

ReputationRep:
    Every university apart from LSE,Oxbridge,Warwick,Imperial indifferent about UCL.
    And also the Ivies and Stanford+MIT - everywhere else is scorned by Nate. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Hijabi)
    Whats the UOL?
    It's usually kind of like a reverse snobbery thing where people who didn't go to university say they went to UOL and have 'street smarts', (and by extension, university graduates have no common sense/ are educated but 'stupid')

ReputationRep:
    Non Russell Group/ Top 30.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the UOL?
    You've never heard of the university of life?
    Its pretty good, its near leeds. I've heard their engineering department is really nice.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    Lmfao.
    You do realise there are medicine/dentistry students at unis that are non russell group that could walk into a russell group uni with their **** out and get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    I don't ''look down'' upon any, but I may judge universities by educational standards and graduates produced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertWittyName)
    It's usually kind of like a reverse snobbery thing where people who didn't go to university say they went to UOL and have 'street smarts', (and by extension, university graduates have no common sense/ are educated but 'stupid')
    Ohh right. I know people like that but didn't know there was a term for it

Queen mary is a RG but not in the top 30. What do you think about that uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    You've never heard of the university of life?
    Its pretty good, its near leeds. I've heard their engineering department is really nice.

:facepalm2:

Am I meant to laugh at your poor use of saracasm or..?

ReputationRep:
    Anything outside
    Oxbridge
    LSE
    Warrick
    Kings

ReputationRep:
    Since I am not currently trying to employ anyone, what university someone went to really is not something I care about.

ReputationRep:
    Am I meant to laugh at your poor use of saracasm or..?
    Well, you're not.
    It doesn't surprise me though that you couldn't realise what was meant by university of life since you made this thread.

ReputationRep:
    The Russell Group is completely meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    No, those who claim so are ignorant elitist followers. A university is an institution that provides higher education. Different approaches may be taken to suit people of different academic capabilities/interests/learning styles.

Props to anyone who goes to university and is willing to invest time in furthering their education.
    so much conjecture in this post

ReputationRep:
    I never look down on other universities, but I do look down at certain courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedswest)
    I never look down on other universities, but I do look down at certain courses.
    For example? Also why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    Anything outside
    Oxbridge
    LSE
    Warrick
    Kings
    Why do people always forget Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    Lmfao.
    You do realise there are medicine/dentistry students at unis that are non russell group that could walk into a russell group uni with their **** out and get an offer?
    Medicine and dentistry is completely different since those courses are standardised. When it comes to Humanities, Arts and some Sciences then I do look down at "lesser" universities.

Ohh right. I know people like that but didn't know there was a term for it

Queen mary is a RG but not in the top 30. What do you think about that uni?
    Queen Mary is pretty **** to be fair. I think they should be kicked out, along with Cardiff and Liverpool.
    (Original post by Gherk)
    The Russell Group is completely meaningless.
    In your view.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.