Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    The places I've looked at aren't big companies. They're asking for post doctorates because - guess what - NOBODY else is anywhere near qualified for the job. There's virtually no point in hiring someone for a 2-3 year contract if it takes 6+ years to bring them up to speed with the knowledge and skills required to do the job.
    wtf you dont need a post doc to work in cyber security ! your probably looking at researchers and the more mathematical research roles.

If a job requires 6 years to train, then they will have at least 4 different stages like analyst and associate which they will recruit for
    (Original post by tim_123)
    I understand where your coming from, my main question was really aimed around a more practical degree (which i think greenwhich might be?) or a more theoretical (RHUL?).

As my current/soon to be previous career has no relevance to this area a degree really is the only way for me to go
    I would go for greenwhich

ReputationRep:
    Show them you can work outside the box! Careers fairs are good! Hint, Connections!

If you have the equiv of a grad degree.. go for Manchester, Cranfield.. and do a conversion.

M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marty4k)
    Show them you can work outside the box! You should be perfect in a sense. Careers fairs are good! Hint, Connections!

If you have the equiv of a grad degree.. go for Manchester, Cranfield.. and do a conversion.

M
    PS. I have had interview opportunites with intelligence agencies, never went. And all I have is a crappy degree.

ReputationRep:
    I studied Computer Science and graduated in 2013 and managed to land my first job with a Cyber Security firm - however, probably most of the things I've learnt is mostly on my own or someone showing me. I think just having a 'computer' related degree and doing things on your own time, showing that you're actually interested in Cyber Security will be a bonus (employers like this). Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.