Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When do I apply for accommodation financing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonn123)
    Hmm when you put it that way you're right.

I don't know how heavy smokers/drinkers cope at Uni then!
    Cheap accommodation, cheap alcohol, rolling and part-time jobs.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    and parents and overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    and parents and overdraft.
    Lol guess so. I won't be able to have any support off my Mum so I'll be solely relying on the loans/grants to get me through. Unless that is I can land a part-time job.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Lol guess so. I won't be able to have any support off my Mum so I'll be solely relying on the loans/grants to get me through. Unless that is I can land a part-time job.
    If you get a student bank account, you should get an interest free overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    If you get a student bank account, you should get an interest free overdraft.
    I'll definitely set one up.

I'm very disappointed to hear that the more Maintenance get, the less Student Loan you will get.

So I will end up on a lot less than £80 a week.

ReputationRep:
    I'll definitely set one up.

I'm very disappointed to hear that the more Maintenance get, the less Student Loan you will get.

So I will end up on a lot less than £80 a week.
    If you spent £20 on food a week and £20 on luxuries like clothes/going out, you don't need much. The majority of people have loans (and no grants) which leave them about £1000 in debt after paying their accommodation alone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't need that much really. Assuming you don't go out all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    If you spent £20 on food a week and £20 on luxuries like clothes/going out, you don't need much. The majority of people have loans (and no grants) which leave them about £1000 in debt after paying their accommodation alone.
    You shouldn't need that much really. Assuming you don't go out all the time.
    That's fine.

I'm just worried Student Finance won't give me enough to live on, as in being forced to live on £20 a week or something? Or would they make sure this doesn't happen?

I'd be more than happy to budget on £80 a week as I don't smoke, drink or have any bad shopping habits.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine.

I'm just worried Student Finance won't give me enough to live on, as in being forced to live on £20 a week or something? Or would they make sure this doesn't happen?

I'd be more than happy to budget on £80 a week as I don't smoke, drink or have any bad shopping habits.
    Nope, you get what you're entitled to and no more, even if it doesn't cover you accommodation student finance don't care. Which is a ****ty system and it creates a gap of the very rich and the very poor being able to finance university whilst the middle classes often struggle. Once you're 18 you're considered an independent person except that government expects your parents to fund you until you're at least 21 if you go to uni. I'm one of the lucky ones whose parents can help out and will but I hate it that they're paying for MY choices.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you get what you're entitled to and no more, even if it doesn't cover you accommodation student finance don't care. Which is a ****ty system and it creates a gap of the very rich and the very poor being able to finance university whilst the middle classes often struggle. Once you're 18 you're considered an independent person except that government expects your parents to fund you until you're at least 21 if you go to uni. I'm one of the lucky ones whose parents can help out and will but I hate it that they're paying for MY choices.
    I agree with that, does seem very unfair.

Looks like I'll be selling quite a bit of my stuff then for extra funds for University. Hope it's all worth it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how you'd need to sell stuff, tbh. You should have plenty to live off. Due to student finance being very late, I ended up about £80 a week to live off. I rarely spent more than £40.

You also need to budget for books and travelling home.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.