Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling all students who went to a grammar sixth form: I need your advice! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeilahDeere)
    From MY experience, it was the worst decision ever. I narrowly missed a grammar school education twice (which was upsetting) and when I attended one for sixth form, none of it felt right. Being on top of the class at my old school to becoming alright at a grammar. My head of sixth would constantly go on and on and onnnnn about how I can't do science a levels because I took double science (however my old school didn't do triple and only 20 people were allowed to sit the additional science at a higher paper, rest must be foundation and I was one of those 20 achieving A's in the sciences)

So I'm now a year behind where I was pulled out (both head of sixth form and another party agreed but head of sixth form made it a massive mess)

HOWEVER, some people LOVE attending a different school full of different people and finally fill that the fit in and can achieve things there old school couldn't require reaching their full potential.

Think about it carefully but my case isn't like everyone's. Just put your head down and power through your a levels
    Hello. Sorry to hear about your tough experience. You're right, it's a decision that a person should think about carefully before committing. I think the thread starter can learn a valuable lesson from your story. I'd say you have to look at your circumstances and at your situation, and go from there. People can have very different personal experiences, that's completely normal. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    Hello. Sorry to hear about your tough experience. You're right, it's a decision that a person should think about carefully before committing. I think the thread starter can learn a valuable lesson from your story. I'd say you have to look at your circumstances and at your situation, and go from there. People can have very different personal experiences, that's completely normal. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do next.
    Ah it's fine Have to turn a bad experience into a good success! (Really do plan to prove my head of sixth form wrong that no matter what background you come from, you can still achieve the same grades)

I'm actually moving back to my old school and will be the first resitter (yay lol). But thank you lots! To OP, think it through a lot and do what's best for YOU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeilahDeere)
    Ah it's fine Have to turn a bad experience into a good success! (Really do plan to prove my head of sixth form wrong that no matter what background you come from, you can still achieve the same grades)

I'm actually moving back to my old school and will be the first resitter (yay lol). But thank you lots! To OP, think it through a lot and do what's best for YOU
    Very wise words there. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll do well. : )

ReputationRep:
    I attended Hills Road SF. Not a grammar school but top 5 UK state school. Before that I went King Edwards. The thing about state schools excluding high achieving ones like HRSF is that they are dog****, best to go grammar or independent/private if you can afford it but I would advise grammar. Also its about the contacts you meet too and the networking. At average state school comps, none of those contacts are going to be useful in future, so thats one reason they suck.

Well at both schools, that I mentioned everyone was obviously clever, knew a few people doing 7 A levels, olympiad winners, 2400 SAT etc. rare to find that at average state comps, not to say that there are not clever people there, its just that those who are intelligent pretty much the valedictorians are wasted there, but meh - each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dxnielle)
    are you taking maths? if you are how are you prepping for it? I'm taking it and I have literally no idea on what to do
    I did AS in year 11. So now I am preparing for A2. One piece of advice is to start early I kept on top of my homework at the beginning of the year and it was pretty easy from then on. For self teaching I would recommend buying the correct book that relates directly to your exam board and then watch videos on examsolutions. After having done that I would do the questions in the text book until you are fully comfortable with the topic. I would probably do a past paper once I have finished the whole spec. I'm pretty behind at the moment in terms of maths as I am concentrating on Chemistry, but I would aim for a chapter a week. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    I did AS in year 11. So now I am preparing for A2. One piece of advice is to start early I kept on top of my homework at the beginning of the year and it was pretty easy from then on. For self teaching I would recommend buying the correct book that relates directly to your exam board and then watch videos on examsolutions. After having done that I would do the questions in the text book until you are fully comfortable with the topic. I would probably do a past paper once I have finished the whole spec. I'm pretty behind at the moment in terms of maths as I am concentrating on Chemistry, but I would aim for a chapter a week. Best of luck
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    Thanks for the rep! I attended a grammar school in the south of England (thank GOD I didn't go to school in Birmingham! yuck). I might as well go into it in more detail, I don't mind.

The comprehensive school that I went to was extremely rough. I don't exaggerate when I use the word extremely. Full of chavs, gnags of thugs. There was literally only 1 other person in my whole year who actually cared about getting good grades. People attended that school not because they cared about getting a good education, but because they were being forced to by the government (parents have to send their children to school, it's the law).

So, I was surrounded by chavs in the comprehensive school who didn't care at all about studying or getting good grades. I worked hard, got ten A*s in my GCSEs and moved to a grammar school, where I would spend the best 2 years of my life. It was a great experience. This school has a reputation as being one of the very top schools in the entire nation.

the people at the grammar school aren't what you might expect. They do achieve ridiculously high grades, they take lots and lots of subjects at GCSE and A level, they play musical instruments, they come from relatively affluent backgrounds (middle/middle-upper class). But they're not arrogant in the slightest. They're very modest and down to earth. They're very hard working, they care about receiving a good education because they have their minds on their future. This was clearly a different breed, a completely different species compared to the subhuman specimens in my first school. I fit right in. I loved the atmosphere there. The difference was just so huge, it's hard to put in words.

All I can say is you should definitely try to move to a grammar school if you can. You will absolutely love it there. And don't be intimidated. In my experience at least, my new classroom peers were really civilised and friendly. People kept to themselves pretty much, they go to class, learn, and that's basically it. The learning environment is amazing, I'm glad I was able to experience it. Such a blissful experience.
    I'm glad it all worked out for you. Did you go to a mixed grammar or a single sex one? Also why does the though of grammar schools in B'ham make you go "yuk"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan.dont)
    I'm glad it all worked out for you. Did you go to a mixed grammar or a single sex one? Also why does the though of grammar schools in B'ham make you go "yuk"?
    It was an all boys grammar school. And I was just being ridiculous when I mentioned the schools in Birmingham, call it prejudice, call it stupidity, i was just being dumb. Completely disregard that comment!

ReputationRep:
    I went to a grammar sixth from a comp and still got higher grades than most people who had been at the school for 5 years - just because you go to a grammar school doesn't make you intelligent, do not fear!

ReputationRep:
    prepare to meet some snobs who rant about how they're so much better than people who attend comps, it used to really annoy me so I worked even harder, beat them at AS (waiting on A2) and then forcefed them their humble pie!

ReputationRep:
    I'll confess I haven't read what everyone else has written, however, I'll add my own two cents to the mix:

I've just finished Year 12 at a grammar school that I've attended since Year 7, and yes, there is a difference between a grammar school and the average comprehensive - that is, in essence, the point of a grammar school. Of course in the grammar school there will be people who get D/E/U grades at AS; in the comprehensive there will be people who get B/A grades at AS. On average though, most grammar school students are generally more hardworking and diligent than the average comprehensive school student. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I only speak from experience. There will be quite a few people at my school who will not be allowed entry to Year 13 on Results Day because they didn't get good enough AS grades.

Hope it goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished year 12 at a grammar (boys school mainly but a mixed 6th form) and I used to go to my local catholic school ( mixed school -which wasn't too great academically tbh)

The change is massive!!!

Everyone is smart ... I mean people may not act smart but everyone is .. Most people do a lot more work at home then at school... Everyone picks up concepts much easily and you have a lot more pushed towards you to learn ... People are naturally a bit more confident ... And a lot of people do have tutors and stuff as well ...

Don't think that people do no work during the first term though ... A lot of propel do work but just don't tell people (oddly enough) ... Or they can cram masses of information easily! - e.g I know a dude who was scraping 3Cs and a D before the Easter holidays .. And right now I am sure he will get 4As...

A lot more people will have already made career plans ... A lot of people have their heart set on Oxbridge .. And there may be lots of medics/dentists also

Oh and in comparison everyone has a larger cultural awareness

Idk what else there is .. But there is a massive change

ReputationRep:
    Grammar Schools are great - A nice mix of very clever people and a fair number of absolute morons

ReputationRep:
    My experience:

I go to an all-girls independent. It isn't grammar, but it has the same ethos and standard as good grammar schools - better than our local grammar school. We get really good results, but the people here are basically normal. Okay, they're usually pretty smart, but we don't work insanely hard or anything. What makes the difference is that everyone here wants to do well and get somewhere in life - we're all motivated; there isn't any of that ethos that working hard makes you a 'nerd' - working hard here makes you intelligent. And when you're in that atmosphere, it's competitive and can be a little scary, but it's also really great - your teachers help you, your friends and fellow students help you, and it's a fantastic academic place to be.

Social and extra-curricular life is basically the same as anywhere else - you make it what you want to make it. Although facilities are ordinarily better.

You'll get people who do nothing but party the whole year, flunk and repeat the year. But you get that everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Those who change schools normally attract a lot of interest at the start from other students interested in making a new friend. I'm afraid you will find something of the attitude shown here where other schools are seen as inferior but often from those who are at the weaker end of the grammar range. Work hard and you'll soon settle in. There are a series of head start AS books if you want to prepare a bit http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ics+head+start

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished y12 at a grammar school that I've been at since y7. Everyone there is extremely hardworking, like you might think there are a lot of slackers throughout the year but when it comes to easter holidays and study leave, the amount of work the average grammar school individual does is ridiculously high.
    I'll also say that the majority of the year will do no work over the summer in preparation for year 12 and the school actually discouraged it for us. So if you do decide to do some AS work over the summer don't get complacent when school actually starts, as this is when we work our socks off.
    Yeah tbh I would advise you to not start work as the workload is incredibly tough in y12 so you dont want to burn out. EXCEPTIONS: If youre changing exam boards, look at the new syllabus etc. And also if the grammar school excels at a specific subject (maths at my school) then definitely get ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan.dont)
    Sutton Coldfield girls. This is my brothers account which is why it says male on this account btw lol but I'm a girl.

Heya, I was just looking at this! So I got my letter today for a Sutton interview? I was just wondering how is the sixth form like the ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Last year I was in the same situation as you as I came from a comprehensive. I can't speak for everyone but one thing I wish I had been told beforehand is how much higher the standard is at my school. Before I was in the top of the year, but coming here at first made me feel very average, which was intimidating at first but it motivates you to do better because everyone is at a higher level. From my perspective, I definitely feel as if there is a difference but it shouldn't discourage you

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.