Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Underrated films watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    'The Orphanage' and 'Les Choristes'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Many of the Jason Statham films, I don't understand why not a single one is over 6.5 on imdb lol, the fights in the films are awesomeeee and some of them really do have good plots

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I ended up studying some films and such at college/uni, so I'll have some strange ones.

- Rain Man
    - Metropolis
    - The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
    - Oktober
    - Strike
    - Amelie
    - The Pianist
    - Reign Over Me (one of Adam Sandler's more serious films, I cried buckets!!!)
    - Martin

ReputationRep:
    Underrated:
    Stardust
    Total Recall
    Let the Right One In
    I Spit on Your Grave (It isn't fantastic but it really didn't deserve all the hate it got from Ebert and Siskel)
    Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
    From Up on Poppy Hill

Just Underseen:
    Suspiria
    Deep Red
    In the Mood for Love
    Scarlet Street
    Vampyr
    Love Exposure
    Go (The Japanese one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimeo)
    Funny People
    I really think this is a great movie, people seem to be very bothered by it and I don't know why. I think the explanation that everybody uses is that it's because it's a "serious" Judd Apatow and Adam Sandler movie, but whatever. I think it's really great, and funny. I grew up on Adam Sandler movies, I still love a lot of the early ones -- this is one of his best, but I think Punch-Drunk Love might be my favourite of his..
    Yeah Funny People was great, it's probably my favourite Adam Sandler film. It's not the funniest film he's been in but the humour is a lot smarter than things like Happy Gilmore or Waterboy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCH0705)
    Total Recall
    I hope you're talking about the original. It's a classic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    I hope you're talking about the original. It's a classic.
    Gosh yes I'm talking about the original XD the remake was so unnecessary and a complete mess, Jessica Biel and Colin Farrell were more wooden than Noah's Ark.

ReputationRep:
    Dirty Pretty Things and Eastern Promises.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Go

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'Before Sunrise', 'Before Sunset' and 'Before Midnight' each set nine years apart starting with a couple who meet on a train going to Vienna. Probably the best films i've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Minority Report and The Prestige are two that I can think of from the top of my head, two films that managed to completely surprise me with how they were vs my expectations

ReputationRep:
    District 9

ReputationRep:
    All of the Grisham novels' movie adaptations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by museymouse)
    Minority Report and The Prestige are two that I can think of from the top of my head, two films that managed to completely surprise me with how they were vs my expectations
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    District 9
    These aren't underrated though

A Simple Plan
    It came out around the time of Fargo and the setting is certainly similar. It doesn't have the black comedy, but dare I say this was a better movie? Money corrupts! Billy Bob Thornton is ****ing amazing

Kickass
    Okay it's not underrated in the general sense, but it's underrated as a superhero movie. Forget Marvel and DC, this is THE best comic book movie to date. So underrated in this genre.

Seven Psychopaths
    One of the finest movies in years. It ticks every box for me. I think you have to understand the references and black humour to enjoy this. Sam Rockwell is so brilliant at this type of character -- very underrated. 10/10 but barely made a blip in the mainstream

Man from Nowhere
    This is better than Taken IMO

The Chaser
    Possibly a masterpiece. The direction is so skillful. Very very memorable. My favourite Korean movie, so much better than Oldboy

The Assassination of Jesse James'
    One of the greatest Westerns ever and it barely got a look in at the box office. There Will Be Blood got the plaudits this year but this was the better movie IMO. It's hypnotic

Gattaca
    In my opinion one of the best scifi dramas ever. Best film of the 90's. It completely flopped. It still ranks high with me. Jude Law and Ethan Hawke are great, and this world isn't too far from ours

Grave of the Fireflies
    This is story telling simplicity and genius, but it gets overlooked for being an anime. If this movie doesn't affect you, you're not human

ReputationRep:
    Withnail and I
    Deux Jours Une Nuit (went to see it on Friday)

ReputationRep:
    The Truman show, Captain Phillips, Cat's Kingdom... There's so many :yep:

ReputationRep:
    A Bug's Life. Easily on a par with the Toy Story franchise for me.

(Original post by St. Brynjar)
    A Bug's Life. Easily on a par with the Toy Story franchise for me.
    Omg bug's life:coma:my favourite childhood movie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    Omg bug's life:coma:my favourite childhood movie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a shame Pixar aren't so keen on sequels right now. The Incredibles and A Bug's Life could have their universes built upon so easily.

ReputationRep:
    Scott Pilgrim vs the world
    Sucker Punch

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.