Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to survive uni without drinking alcohol?! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael!)
    Boarding schools are completely different to uni. Middle/Upper class kids putting pressure on each other is custom. I played rugby against a boarding school who used to play 'sticky biscuit' in their dorms every week. Pretty much sums up that culture. Uni is more diverse, grown-up and accepting of different beliefs.
    Glad to hear it, I'll be going to Uni this September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegum21)
    It's still two years before I start university but I'm wondering how to survive without alcohol? It's not a religious thing, it's just that alcohol has never really appealed to me. I'm aware that fresher's week is basically one big long drinking extravaganza, I was wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with this situation? How do people react when they find out that you don't drink? And how do you deal with the peer pressure?
    Why are you worrying two years beforehand? How do you know you won't be drinking when it's your time? My friend was teetotal for his entire life then started getting inebriated fortnightly at the age of 18.

But to answer srs, you can easily get away without drinking, people won't think any less of you as long as you're honest. If it would bother perhaps turn up late to freshers or bring a friend along, but at the end of the day it's only one week it's not going to shape your entire first year. Certainly not worth worrying about two years beforehand?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian7)
    Just turn into a 'straight-edge' > NO drinks NO smoke NO drugs
    You forgot "NO fun".

ReputationRep:
    alcohol is a powerful drug. just say no.

if someone said "here buddy, inject this stuff into your groin, it's fun" you would not say "sure, that looks cool. let's have a go "... same with ethanol...

ReputationRep:
    Step 1: Go to uni.
    Step 2: Don't drink alcohol.
    Step 3: Don't do anything likely to get yourself killed.
    Step 4: Congratulations, you've survived uni without drinking alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    You forgot "NO fun".
    Well if you're straight-edge it doesn't mean you can't have fun, but then there are people who think No alcohol = No fun. if that's the case then yes.

ReputationRep:
    me too! what uni are you going to go to?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You can get through uni without drinking :nah: The peer pressure isn't that bad imo :yep:

(Original post by Michael!)
    Boarding schools are completely different to uni. Middle/Upper class kids putting pressure on each other is custom. I played rugby against a boarding school who used to play 'sticky biscuit' in their dorms every week. Pretty much sums up that culture. Uni is more diverse, grown-up and accepting of different beliefs.
    I just googled what that was. I feel scarred :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    YI just googled what that was. I feel scarred :indiff:
    At least he won't go hungry now through uni though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.