Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do women need female only competitions in everything? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you rail against sexism or ageism too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    Feel? you seem to be letting emotions govern your decisions...

Emotions govern all of our decisions. That is one of their main purposes.... And an adaptive value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TolerantBeing)
    Emotions govern all of our decisions. That is one of their main purposes.... And an adaptive value.
    Doesn't mean they have to always be an overarching decision making force..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Den Haag)
    They are. Men can't join the female only competitions. A woman can play sports, chess or participate in the proper olympiad if they are good enough. Men don't have their own competitions. Well, in a way they do since they are 99% to 100% of the top competitors in just about anything but women aren't banned from joining.

You honestly can't see the logic behind that? You highlighted it enough (in crude, cave-man style terms) throughout this thread. You've provided yourself with the answer dear boy.

Are you honestly that stupid that you can't put two and two together?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean they have to always be an overarching decision making force..
    And your point is...?

ReputationRep:
    And your point is...?
    Pretty much my original statement "Feel? you seem to be letting emotions govern your decisions..." you know instead of thinking critically!

ReputationRep:
    You honestly can't see the logic behind that? You highlighted it enough (in crude, cave-man style terms) throughout this thread. You've provided yourself with the answer dear boy.

Are you honestly that stupid that you can't put two and two together?
    Whoaa hold on a sec, did you just say women aren't good enough to compete in maths and chess with men and that's why the ratio is 99 to 1 at the top?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much my original statement "Feel? you seem to be letting emotions govern your decisions..." you know instead of thinking critically!
    Not really. "I feel that" is just a term I use after experiencing something, I use it in the same context as 'I think that...' Or 'I believe that....'

Your use of exclamation marks suggests your emotions may be getting the better of you though, funnily enough....

An exclamation mark usually shows strong feeling, such as surprise, anger or joy. http://www.englishclub.com/writing/p...ation-mark.htm

So maybe you are the one who's letting emotions govern your behaviour too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Den Haag)
    Whoaa hold on a sec, did you just say women aren't good enough to compete in maths and chess with men and that's why the ratio is 99 to 1 at the top?
    It was you who said that, and then you're asking why males don't have their own team. If you had the basic ability to apply your own logic to your reasoning you would conclude that there is no need for males to have their own team for that reason....

And FYI, we aren't talking about average women here, or about average men. When talking about the normal population, there are no differences in maths ability, they'd both perform the same in the Maths Olympiad. But we aren't talking about the normal population we are talking about the extreme end of the distribution. And it's common knowledge that more males congregate on both ends of the frequency distribution when it comes to maths ability. I,e there are more males who are gifted at maths than there are women who are gifted at maths. But then there are also more males who show very low ability at maths, towards the other end of the distribution, than there are females.

So when talking average ability, there are no gender differences.
    I thought that was important to tell you because people like you just tend to think 'durr males are better at maths!' When in actual fact by that reasoning, males are also more retarded at maths.

ReputationRep:
    They can't compete with men.

ReputationRep:
    OP makes a sensible point. if the ladies want equality they should be prepared to join in with the men in sports etc.

after all we do not have Women's Crosswords with special easier lady-themed clues in the paper

12 Across:

Potential rapist comes back from 'Nam ( 3 )

ReputationRep:
    It was you who said that, and then you're asking why males don't have their own team. If you had the basic ability to apply your own logic to your reasoning you would conclude that there is no need for males to have their own team for that reason....

And FYI, we aren't talking about average women here, or about average men. When talking about the normal population, there are no differences in maths ability, they'd both perform the same in the Maths Olympiad. But we aren't talking about the normal population we are talking about the extreme end of the distribution. And it's common knowledge that more males congregate on both ends of the frequency distribution when it comes to maths ability. I,e there are more males who are gifted at maths than there are women who are gifted at maths. But then there are also more males who show very low ability at maths, towards the other end of the distribution, than there are females.

So when talking average ability, there are no gender differences.
    I thought that was important to tell you because people like you just tend to think 'durr males are better at maths!' When in actual fact by that reasoning, males are also more retarded at maths.
    Bah, humbug! Next you'll tell me that women choose feminine degrees and careers because their brains and hormones are different to those of men!

ReputationRep:
    Not really. "I feel that" is just a term I use after experiencing something, I use it in the same context as 'I think that...' Or 'I believe that....'

Your use of exclamation marks suggests your emotions may be getting the better of you though, funnily enough....

An exclamation mark usually shows strong feeling, such as surprise, anger or joy. www.englishclub.com/writing/punctuation-exclamation-mark.htm

Firstly, it's just punctuation. Secondly, it's not as if i used them liberally such as putting two or three in succession. It was a single exclamation mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I think you mean the proportion of people entering the IMO. I would expect the proportion of males to be completely male.
    Haha, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. The majority of males on TSR are pathetic. So far the one female who has posted is speaking the most sense. And the guy who's grating her for 'emotions' is also pathetic.

Women need female only sports because they cannot perform at the same level as males, as is obvious. Imagine if everything was mixed and therefore only a couple of women competed with many thousands of men. What do young girls have to look up to? My younger sister is extremely sporty and has the fighting ability to beat the **** out of most guys her age. She wants to become a professional footballer and has the potential to be, but if women did not have separate football leagues, etc, she would not be going anywhere in that direction.

The problem with the regular guys on TSR is that most of them are massive introverts who don't speak to many women and so cannot understand things from their viewpoints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Yet when a woman (Sarah Taylor) wants to make the jump to real cricket, the powers that be deny her that right. Ridiculous. It's happened in football too. Unfortunately we'll probably need a girl Messi or something for the clubs to put enough pressure on the authorities to allow it.
    You're completely ignoring my point. If a woman plays a dangerous sport such as cricket, she is highly likely to get injured.

Men bowl significantly faster than women...A woman cannot deal with that sort of pace

ReputationRep:
    I view female sports the same way I view the paralympics, I am glad they happen, but I won't bother watching them because I actually want to watch the best quality sport.

ReputationRep:
    Furthermore, women can't be allowed to compete with men, because if they could, paradoxically there would be no more professional sportswomen, because compared to men, in almost every single sport, no women would be good enough to go professional.

ReputationRep:

An exclamation mark usually shows strong feeling, such as surprise, anger or joy. http://www.englishclub.com/writing/p...ation-mark.htm

Lol avid defender of 'equality for women' (which is a nonsense) derailing the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    OP makes a sensible point. if the ladies want equality they should be prepared to join in with the men in sports etc.

after all we do not have Women's Crosswords with special easier lady-themed clues in the paper

12 Across:

Potential rapist comes back from 'Nam ( 3 )
    Brilliant clue .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.