Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why aren't murder ''jokes'' as bad or worse than rape ones? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Nope, it's because it involves prisoners. People think they deserve it because they're prisoners, not because they're men.
    Rubbish, it's not just prisoners at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Den Haag)
    I've heard the joke in contexts where the men were innocent or in prison for something completely trivial, we're not always talking about ''monsters'' here. I've also heard it in contexts where it was other showers and not prison ones. The rape scene in ''Deliverance'' is seen as the funniest ****, I've even seen women joke about it on TSR. Can you imagine society seeing a scene where a woman gets rapes as funny in any circumstances? NO. Not to mention no way any similar joke, even related to prisoners, would be so lightly taken if said prisoners were female (not that there are many since women are much more likely to not be arrested, charged, convicted, receive a prison sentence, receive a much shorter sentence and be released earlier than men for the exact same crime). Same way an entire national TV show panel and its female audience can laugh at a man having his genitals chopped off by a woman while even a hint of the opposite would guarantee the firing of the male hosts and probably the end of the show.

To understand how little both men and women care about young boys and men being raped I invite you to read my other thread.
    That's just the way people treat prisoners - two people could commit the same crime and get different sentences, but the one in prison will experience the stigma of being a prisoner and the hatred that comes with that. I've never heard that joke being made about people who are known to be innocent, or in other shower scenes so it is overwhelmingly prisoners that it is directed at. I'm not saying that there isn't an issue with the way society treats male rape victims but the reason that joke is seen as acceptable is because the victims are seen as 'bad'.

That Sharon Osbourne thing is constantly brought up in discussions like these. It makes me think there isn't many other examples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    Rubbish, it's not just prisoners at all
    I was talking specifically about 'drop the soap' jokes.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking specifically about 'drop the soap' jokes.
    Even then, do guys who get sent to prison for victimless crimes, such as drug possession deserve to be raped?

Anyway in regards to other comments, did anyone watch the show misfits? If was a comedy/drama about people with powers. One of the guys powers was stealing others by having sex with them. This led to him basically raping other guys but that's all hilarious apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    Even then, do guys who get sent to prison for victimless crimes, such as drug possession deserve to be raped?

Anyway in regards to other comments, did anyone watch the show misfits? If was a comedy/drama about people with powers. One of the guys powers was stealing others by having sex with them. This led to him basically raping other guys but that's all hilarious apparently
    No, and I never said that. I said that's why in society people think it's OK to make those jokes. Not because they're men. Because they're prisoners.

I've seen Misfits and he had sex with girls to destroy their powers too. I never finished that series but I take it he has sex with the tortoise too?

ReputationRep:
    That's just the way people treat prisoners - two people could commit the same crime and get different sentences, but the one in prison will experience the stigma of being a prisoner and the hatred that comes with that. I've never heard that joke being made about people who are known to be innocent, or in other shower scenes so it is overwhelmingly prisoners that it is directed at. I'm not saying that there isn't an issue with the way society treats male rape victims but the reason that joke is seen as acceptable is because the victims are seen as 'bad'.

That Sharon Osbourne thing is constantly brought up in discussions like these. It makes me think there isn't many other examples.
    I am talking about cases where it doesn't involve prisoners and situations where making the same joke about a woman would be completely unaaceptable. Just look at the male rape scene in Deliverance, it's the gold standard for ''LOL male rape is funny''. Would never happen if the victim was a woman.

And do you watch ''Loose women'' and other similar shows in both US and UK? If there were similar shows that had 1% of the vileness and ''banter'' but this time addressed to the other sex, they'd be pulled off the air the same week it started.

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about cases where it doesn't involve prisoners and situations where making the same joke about a woman would be completely unaaceptable. Just look at the male rape scene in Deliverance, it's the gold standard for ''LOL male rape is funny''. Would never happen if the victim was a woman.

And do you watch ''Loose women'' and other similar shows in both US and UK? If there were similar shows that had 1% of the vileness and ''banter'' but this time addressed to the other sex, they'd be pulled off the air the same week it started.
    Male and female rape are treated differently. Yes, it is more acceptable to laugh at men being raped and it is often not taken seriously enough but there are also a lot of issues with the way women being raped as well. While it isn't often seen as funny, there are incidences where something that is rape isn't even seen as rape and no-one makes a fuss about it. For example, the Pepsi Max advert where he convinces everyone that the world is ending so that the woman will have sex with him. And that awful scene in Sixteen Candles where a guy tells another the Geek that his girlfriend is passed out upstairs and he can go take advantage if he wants.

I've seen Loose Women about twice and both times it has been more sexist towards women than men.

ReputationRep:
    But their families or survivors of murder attempts do. Can you crack a joke about getting shot to someone who survived a gunshot wounds? Or to a family who lost a member to it?

No, this is because rape is associated with female victims. How many times have you heard the ''don't drop the soap joke'' in real life or movies? Countless times. It's the most famous rape joke there is. Why? Because it involves men. Can you imagine a joke about women's rape being used that way in the media? ****, no. The same reason violence against women is a deadly sin while the reverse is a joke or at best ignored. The same reason insults related to female behaviour or genitalia (*****, ****, ****) are seen as much worse and more censored than those related to males (pig, ****, neanderthal etc). The same reason women's cancers get almost all the attention and the funding while men's are largely ignored. The same reason FGM is illegal and MGM is totally fine. The same reason women have housing priority, 100 times more shelters and charities and so on and on and on and on..............................

And no, feminists, it's not because women are seen as weak and in need of protection like they are children, it's because they are worshiped by society . Gestures like opening doors are not done because the woman is too frail to do it on her own, it's too show her that she's in superior position and she need not bother with insignificant issues. Same way the driver opens the door for a state leader or a billionaire.

Exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    basically because feminists gonna feminist

ReputationRep:
    Male and female rape are treated differently. Yes, it is more acceptable to laugh at men being raped and it is often not taken seriously enough but there are also a lot of issues with the way women being raped as well. While it isn't often seen as funny, there are incidences where something that is rape isn't even seen as rape and no-one makes a fuss about it. For example, the Pepsi Max advert where he convinces everyone that the world is ending so that the woman will have sex with him. And that awful scene in Sixteen Candles where a guy tells another the Geek that his girlfriend is passed out upstairs and he can go take advantage if he wants.

I've seen Loose Women about twice and both times it has been more sexist towards women than men.
    If by differently you mean male rape is laughed or ignored at best (by the media, the public and politicians) much like all the other problems many men face in the West, then I agree.

As for Loose *****, you should watch some more if you think it's more sexist against women. This and the other similar misandric shows in the US. Check the thread I linked about kidnapped or raped men/boys and how it's completely ignored while the same thing happening to women raises all hell. Where are Obama, Beyonce and Brangelina then? The media, the social media, the public? Nowhere to be found. Because nobody gives a flying **** about men or boys.

ReputationRep:
    If by differently you mean male rape is laughed or ignored at best (by the media, the public and politicians) much like all the other problems many men face in the West, then I agree.

As for Loose *****, you should watch some more if you think it's more sexist against women. This and the other similar misandric shows in the US. Check the thread I linked about kidnapped or raped men/boys and how it's completely ignored while the same thing happening to women raises all hell. Where are Obama, Beyonce and Brangelina then? The media, the social media, the public? Nowhere to be found. Because nobody gives a flying **** about men or boys.

I explained what I meant by differently. I'm not interested in having a "men vs. women" argument as I've said all I can on that topic too many times. I accept that there is problems with the way we treat male rape victims. Denying that women have problems when it's obvious that women are seen as the inferior gender is not going to help your cause.

It is sexist against women. It may be sexist against men as well, but personally I have never seen it. I'll take your word for it rather than putting myself through that programme again. Although I do have an unexplainable love for Janet Street Porter. In small doses.

ReputationRep:
    It would only be controversial if a woman was raped. Same with the murders in games like GTA. Feminists were outraged that you could kill women in it ignoring that all the kill missions are about killing men and at the same time you can kill any guy on the streets as well. If anything, males are much more likely to be the victim of violence just like in real life. If the game is mis-anything it's misanthrope, not misogynist. But as usual, they find it impossible to remove their feminist blinkers.
    Lol no it wouldn't, if a man was raped on a computer game there would be an insane backlash, especially if the victim was the player's own avatar.

I agree with you in principle, but you're pushing this agenda of yours too hard to take an objective view of things

ReputationRep:
    It would only be controversial if a woman was raped. Same with the murders in games like GTA. Feminists were outraged that you could kill women in it ignoring that all the kill missions are about killing men and at the same time you can kill any guy on the streets as well. If anything, males are much more likely to be the victim of violence just like in real life. If the game is mis-anything it's misanthrope, not misogynist. But as usual, they find it impossible to remove their feminist blinkers.
    I agree with your original point, but know you're getting way over self victimising. That's *******s. Remember how controversial the torture scene (of a man) was in GTA5 was? Despite the fact it was clearly making an anti-torture point. If a guy was raped, they wouldn't let them release the game, simple as that.

The dull debates on the internet seem to consist of men ignoring all the inequalities women face and self victimising, and women doing exactly the same, ignoring any inequalities men face. Anyone with a bit of intelligence should see that a lot of these inequalities have the same causes, and that we need to work together, not play up this childish "boys v girls" dynamic.

ReputationRep:
    You forget that the word 'frape' is used often without any backlash at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Lol no it wouldn't, if a man was raped on a computer game there would be an insane backlash, especially if the victim was the player's own avatar.

I agree with you in principle, but you're pushing this agenda of yours too hard to take an objective view of things
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    I agree with your original point, but know you're getting way over self victimising. That's *******s. Remember how controversial the torture scene (of a man) was in GTA5 was? Despite the fact it was clearly making an anti-torture point. If a guy was raped, they wouldn't let them release the game, simple as that.

The dull debates on the internet seem to consist of men ignoring all the inequalities women face and self victimising, and women doing exactly the same, ignoring any inequalities men face. Anyone with a bit of intelligence should see that a lot of these inequalities have the same causes, and that we need to work together, not play up this childish "boys v girls" dynamic.
    Many scenes in movies and shows where men are being raped have been portrayed as funny (Deliverance, Boondocks, Ace Ventura, Family guy ...just off the top my head). I'm not saying all male rape scenes are portrayed as funny, just that a woman being raped would never (or almost never) be seen as humorous. Same reason there are very, very few movies scenes where women are killed or tortured and they aren't nearly as visual as male deaths scenes. Remember the outcry from the GoT massacre scene? Men have been having their brains blown and their throats slashed in movies for 50 years and anyone barely bats an eye to it. Also check my other thread here to see how men getting raped in war zones gets almost no attention compared to females, even though it happens on a huge scale in just about every conflict.

As for the other issue, feminists have to realize that women have real problems in poorer countries and even in the West (especially in the muslim communities) and this is what they should be focusing on. Not on complete non issues like Lego's , Disney and page 3 or fabricated myths like the wage gap or rape culture.

ReputationRep:
    because feminists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyEcliptic)
    Just remember that, yes the family has to deal with it, but families also have to deal with the rape of the victim as well.
    So there's one fewer traumatised people in the equation when it comes to murder, and that's what makes all the difference? I'm not sure if you're an ethically serious person.

Essentially, a murdered person isn't suffering and thinking about the fact they are murdered, are they? Whereas, the rape victim has to live with that shame and humiliation for the rest of their lives.

Both are bad but I think because of games and TV shows sort of glamourising murder it's not really seen as a big thing because -
    you killed someone, that's it they don't think anything more of that.

But no one knows the suffering but the person themselves and that can be hard.
    One of the most crass arguments i've seen on TSR and that's saying something. The logic here is pre-school level.

ReputationRep:
    Many scenes in movies and shows where men are being raped have been portrayed as funny (Deliverance, Boondocks, Ace Ventura, Family guy ...just off the top my head). I'm not saying all male rape scenes are portrayed as funny, just that a woman being raped would never (or almost never) be seen as humorous. Same reason there are very, very few movies scenes where women are killed or tortured and they aren't nearly as visual as male deaths scenes. Remember the outcry from the GoT massacre scene? Men have been having their brains blown and their throats slashed in movies for 50 years and anyone barely bats an eye to it. Also check my other thread here to see how men getting raped in war zones gets almost no attention compared to females, even though it happens on a huge scale in just about every conflict.

As for the other issue, feminists have to realize that women have real problems in poorer countries and even in the West (especially in the muslim communities) and this is what they should be focusing on. Not on complete non issues like Lego's , Disney and page 3 or fabricated myths like the wage gap or rape culture.
    Er, Deliverance wasn't supposed to be funny! And Family Guy will do basically anything, there's loads of rape jokes on women in that (I can think of several Quagmire date rape jokes even in the early years when it was slightly less offensive). If you want an example, Mark gets raped in Peep Show and it's played for laughs, albeight dark ones, hard to imagine Sophie being raped in the show for a joke. I don't really remember an outcry from the Game of Thrones Red Wedding of this sense, no. People were shocked, but generally they thought it was positive how gripping it was, rather than complaining about the violence.

You honestly don't think feminists realise women have real problems in poorer countries? What problems that women face do you think feminists aren't addressing? It isn't like someone who campaigns on female genital mutilation can't also want to promote young girls being active rather than passive roles. It isn't saying that's as important, just that it's worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    Many scenes in movies and shows where men are being raped have been portrayed as funny (Deliverance, Boondocks, Ace Ventura, Family guy ...just off the top my head).
    You found the rape scene in Deliverance funny? wot?

ReputationRep:
    But their families or survivors of murder attempts do. Can you crack a joke about getting shot to someone who survived a gunshot wounds? Or to a family who lost a member to it?

No, this is because rape is associated with female victims. How many times have you heard the ''don't drop the soap joke'' in real life or movies? Countless times. It's the most famous rape joke there is. Why? Because it involves men. Can you imagine a joke about women's rape being used that way in the media? ****, no. The same reason violence against women is a deadly sin while the reverse is a joke or at best ignored. The same reason insults related to female behaviour or genitalia (*****, ****, ****) are seen as much worse and more censored than those related to males (pig, ****, neanderthal etc). The same reason women's cancers get almost all the attention and the funding while men's are largely ignored. The same reason FGM is illegal and MGM is totally fine. The same reason women have housing priority, 100 times more shelters and charities and so on and on and on and on..............................

And no, feminists, it's not because women are seen as weak and in need of protection like they are children, it's because they are worshiped by society . Gestures like opening doors are not done because the woman is too frail to do it on her own, it's too show her that she's in superior position and she need not bother with insignificant issues. Same way the driver opens the door for a state leader or a billionaire.
    I salute you sir for the absolute on point quality of this post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.