Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think it’s true that opposites attract? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do opposites attract?
    Yes
    46.67%
    No
    53.33%

ReputationRep:
    My ex and I were opposites. It worked for about 3 years and then the differences got too much.

Differences are good, just not opposites on my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elelia)
    My ex and I were opposites. It worked for about 3 years and then the differences got too much.

Differences are good, just not opposites on my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    3 years jaysus thats a while

in what ways were yee different:?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think yeah to a certain extent they do attract. I could go someone who was different to me in some views say like music, tv shows etc but we would have to be on the same wavelength with important things such as not wanting kids etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yes, since I realised with my previous girlfriend that politics was an issue. She supported UKIP, the death penalty, making foreigners pay for the NHS, etc., which after she told me I realised meant that I didn't agree with her on matters of ethics and values at a fundamental level.
    Surely you should respect her opinions and she should respect yours. Breaking up with your partner because of different political beliefs is very dogmatic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    3 years jaysus thats a while

in what ways were yee different:?
    Yeah. The 4th year the differences just took over..

Priorites, style, hobbies, ambition and family relationships.

Edit:and music taste. It may seem small but after years it becomes irritating

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    Surely you should respect her opinions and she should respect yours. Breaking up with your partner because of different political beliefs is very dogmatic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Politics had nothing to do with us breaking up.
    (Original post by miser)
    It didn't cause us to break up or anything but it did make me feel a bit disconnected from her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elelia)
    Yeah. The 4th year the differences just took over..

Priorites, style, hobbies, ambition and family relationships.

Edit:and music taste. It may seem small but after years it becomes irritating

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hmm youd think youd get used to them but I guess not...

hmm yeh tbh I have a general vision of where I wana be career and life wise at a certain age so not sure Id pull a girl along with me unless she had similar priorities

ReputationRep:
    I don't think relationships between people who are the complete opposite always work that well - I think you have to share similar views on certain important things (such as wanting kids, wanting to get married etc.) and your morals must be similar too. I also think you should have at least a few interests in common and should like doing some of the same things, as it's going to get really boring if you can't find many things you like doing together!

Those things aside, I don't think it really matters how different or similar you are. The best relationships are often between people whose personalities are different but the differences mean that they compliment each other (for example I'm a massive worrier, whereas my boyfriend rarely worries about things; I like to follow a routine whereas he's more of a see what happens kind of person; I'm usually on time or early for things but he's often late).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Was politics really the first thing that came to mind for you? I think there are many worse things to have differing opinions on.
    Studies have shown that having similar political views is more important than having similar personalities: http://www.livescience.com/14105-spo...-politics.html

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. I'd like to know. The only girl I've had a proper interest going with at uni is my complete opposite. We didn't agree on anything. Although going into her past a little she was very similar to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Studies have shown that having similar political views is more important than having similar personalities: http://www.livescience.com/14105-spo...-politics.html
    Studies can show anything you want them to show. I'm surprised you don't know that given this is a student site and you're supposed to be aware of that, that's very basic academics.

ReputationRep:
    I think opposites can create huge amounts of sexual tension and lead to a steamy one off, but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Studies can show anything you want them to show. I'm surprised you don't know that given this is a student site and you're supposed to be aware of that, that's very basic academics.
    Your post just reminded me of an article about it in the Guardian a month or so ago so I posted the source. It seems to be true from the couples I know. It's rare to come across couples with different political views; most seem to agree on the fundamental issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    Is it important for a partner to be similar to you or completely different?

I've always been romantically attracted by people who have opposite traits to me , but my Mum and Dad are really similar.

Is it really true that opposites attract, or is that just a myth?
    It's pretty much true.
    Unfortunately, whether the couples stay together is another matter according to studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Nah she wasn't racist. I was meaning situations for example where foreign people go on holiday and need to use the NHS.
    Values is definitely one of those situations where I totally agree that you shouldn't compromise on. Things like the death penalty speaks volumes about tolerance and how you view humans.

Granted, how different were your opinions?
    There seems to be many people who aren't a fan of the death penalty for practical reasons, but ultimately that attitude is of someone who would believe in the death penalty 100% if they were certain.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Values is definitely one of those situations where I totally agree that you shouldn't compromise on. Things like the death penalty speaks volumes about tolerance and how you view humans.

Granted, how different were your opinions?
    There seems to be many people who aren't a fan of the death penalty for practical reasons, but ultimately that attitude is of someone who would believe in the death penalty 100% if they were certain.
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. Our opinions were pretty different, coming at it from opposite ends of the spectrum. She isn't a very political person though so it was only half-way through our relationship that she realised which party she supported. Socially she is a very caring person.

Our opinions were similar for films, music, wine, etc., just not the same for value issues since she is fairly right wing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's true. It doesn't mean the relationship would last though. The attraction would be strong at first but it would then dwindle in a matter of weeks or months. People need to have things in common and a lot of similarities to be together for long. That's why usually when a person is dating someone that is different to them, they try to change that person all in an effort to sustain the relationship.
    So yes, opposites attract but the relationship would not be healthy, and it won't last long. It would only last if one of the people involved changes, and they become more similar.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.