Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does George Osborne know his times table? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with him. I have also made a rule not to answer maths questions in life.

Btw, why that misleading title?

ReputationRep:
    Osborne was right not to answer the question, but he handled the situation poorly.

It would have been nicer to see him try to flip the situation to his control - perhaps by leading and encouraging the children to recite the 7 times table out loud.

For a politician of George Osborne's calibre, the actual stutter and pause and doubt was far worse than the refusal to answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm not too good at maths, I invented or tracked down lots of shortcuts. I'd probably have quickly subtracted 14 from 70.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Because I'm not too good at maths, I invented or tracked down lots of shortcuts. I'd probably have quickly subtracted 14 from 70.
    Most people, albeit it sub/semi-consciously will use some sort of shortcut, for this example there are 6 (really it's just 2) mains way s I can think of doing it:

1.0) The way you did it 7x10-(10-8)x7=70-2x7=70-14=56
    1.1) Same, but doing it as 8x10-(10-7)x8...etc
    1.2) Similarly, 5x7+(8-5)x7=35+3x7=35+21=56
    1.3) Same, but other way around (and more likely than 1.2), 5x8+(7-5)x8=40+2x8=40+16=56
    2.0) (the way I personally double check the memory pulled the right figure): 7x7+(8-7)x7=49+1x7=49+7=56
    2.1) the other way around, 8x8+(7-8)x8=64-1x8=64-8=56.

Obviously, most of the bracketed stuff you wouldn't bother checking, you would just instantly recall it, but that would be the overall thought process (not considering subtraction though process as "x+14=70" rather than "70-14=x")

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.