Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horse273)
    Could havve been better, but I got a mid 2:1 (no 2:2s thankfully) so I guess I'm still in the game
    That's great! Congrats All geared up now then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    Will anyone else be applying with little or no legal work experience? I have plenty of other work experience.
    ummm… I don't understand what kind of work ex do they exactly want? My internships have primarily been research oriented but I will be working in a corporate firm for three weeks this September in India.

Also, attended any insight programmes in your first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trisha.b)
    ummm… I don't understand what kind of work ex do they exactly want? My internships have primarily been research oriented but I will be working in a corporate firm for three weeks this September in India.

Also, attended any insight programmes in your first year?
    I don't know, I just wondered if they tended to expect specific legal work experience e.g. a couple of weeks working for a law firm.

No, but I've been to dinner and presentations with some law firms

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I just wondered if they tended to expect specific legal work experience e.g. a couple of weeks working for a law firm.

No, but I've been to dinner and presentations with some law firms
    I don't think so. I have been told that they appreciate any kind of work experience as long as you develop the skills.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. I have been told that they appreciate any kind of work experience as long as you develop the skills.
    Great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    That's great! Congrats All geared up now then?
    Yep full steam ahead from now on :rolleyes: Have you been to any law events this summer?

ReputationRep:
    Yep full steam ahead from now on :rolleyes: Have you been to any law events this summer?
    I've attended about 12 insight days in my first year and I shall be working at an Indian law firm this summer. But apart from that, nothing. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I've attended about 12 insight days in my first year and I shall be working at an Indian law firm this summer. But apart from that, nothing. What about you?
    Wow that's a lot of insight days :eek: I've only been to about 3 insight days and doing about a week of work experience this summer. You seem really prepared :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How many applications are everyone planning to make?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    How many applications are everyone planning to make?
    I might go for quite a lot as it seems it's a bit of a numbers game with how competitive they are!

ReputationRep:
    I might go for quite a lot as it seems it's a bit of a numbers game with how competitive they are!
    Yeah, me too! How are you gonna decide which firms you're going to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    Yeah, me too! How are you gonna decide which firms you're going to apply to?
    I think I'll mostly be looking at the areas they're involved in, if they're in London they need to pay expenses (can't really afford to live in London for a few weeks with no pay!) and otherwise I think just a range from each perceived "tier" of the hierarchy

ReputationRep:
    Anybody roughly know which firms offer Easter vac schemes for penultimate law students?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, does anybody happen to know the chances of getting on a VC with ABB at A Level? I got a 1st in my first year and now going in to my second year, but I feel like my A Levels may hold me back. I have a bit of experience at a regional law firm (Hill Dickinson) but will this help me in the application stage for a VC? Good to see that I'm not the only one stressing over VCs/TCs already also :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leumas9)
    Hey guys, does anybody happen to know the chances of getting on a VC with ABB at A Level? I got a 1st in my first year and now going in to my second year, but I feel like my A Levels may hold me back. I have a bit of experience at a regional law firm (Hill Dickinson) but will this help me in the application stage for a VC? Good to see that I'm not the only one stressing over VCs/TCs already also :P
    Most of the MC/SC firms have AAB as a requirement, so I'm afraid those vac schemes might be out of reach. However I know DLA Piper only look for ABB and above which is definitely worth a shot.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the MC/SC firms have AAB as a requirement, so I'm afraid those vac schemes might be out of reach. However I know DLA Piper only look for ABB and above which is definitely worth a shot.
    Thanks for the reply I'm looking more at regional/SC firms like DLA and Hill Dickinson as I'm not really too interested in MC firms so that is a bit of a relief haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. What do people say about 65 in first year for Bindmans, Herbert Smith or Leigh Day, considering I did Innocence Project all last year and got a 1st in C&A? What are my chances, considering I want to work in Public Law. (I go to Exeter, if that's relevent)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bright Beast)
    Hmm. What do people say about 65 in first year for Bindmans, Herbert Smith or Leigh Day, considering I did Innocence Project all last year and got a 1st in C&A? What are my chances, considering I want to work in Public Law. (I go to Exeter, if that's relevent)
    I know that for the training contract HSF ask for a 2:1, so a 65 should be completely fine for applying. In combination with your experiences you should stand a good chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leumas9)
    I know that for the training contract HSF ask for a 2:1, so a 65 should be completely fine for applying. In combination with your experiences you should stand a good chance
    Thank you! Any tips for interviews/applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bright Beast)
    Thank you! Any tips for interviews/applications?
    I'm in the same boat as you at the moment by the sounds of it! Only recently started to get a list together of the firms I'm going to be applying to, so apart from smile, be yourself, be humorous, and really hammer home your qualities to them, I don't think I do :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.