Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I get an MSC in Comp Sci or attend a hackers camp? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is all interesting, but we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Although I agree with some of your points, I still heavily disagree with most of your other points - and take particular offence to XML being referred to as a language. It is a standard/format at most. You can stick anything in an XML file, and it only becomes useful if whatever is reading it understands it. There are no constraints. The link to the XML schemas you provided state at the top they are FORMATS. This by default does not make them programming languages, but structured layouts, in the same way that databases are. You are not programming, you are listing. A "tool" like you mentioned is interpreting the description as necessary. This is the same thing as HTML web dev like you said earlier, which IMHO is NOT programming.

Anyway, this is not going to get anywhere haha.

When I refer to computer, I do not mean a laptop etc, I mean something that can manipulate numbers. Also, I did not really make a point about postgraduate and research work... I could chose to disagree again and suggest that in fact postgrad and research work really depends on the person's interests and whether the person is an "applied" or "theoretical" CS, but this will lead us down a long road which will only end when every CS Uni course has been dissected and analysed.... Naa plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harjot)
    This is all interesting, but we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Although I agree with some of your points, I still heavily disagree with most of your other points - and take particular offence to XML being referred to as a language. It is a standard/format at most. You can stick anything in an XML file, and it only becomes useful if whatever is reading it understands it. There are no constraints. The link to the XML schemas you provided state at the top they are FORMATS. This by default does not make them programming languages, but structured layouts, in the same way that databases are. You are not programming, you are listing. A "tool" like you mentioned is interpreting the description as necessary. This is the same thing as HTML web dev like you said earlier, which IMHO is NOT programming.

Anyway, this is not going to get anywhere haha.

When I refer to computer, I do not mean a laptop etc, I mean something that can manipulate numbers. Also, I did not really make a point about postgraduate and research work... I could chose to disagree again and suggest that in fact postgrad and research work really depends on the person's interests and whether the person is an "applied" or "theoretical" CS, but this will lead us down a long road which will only end when every CS Uni course has been dissected and analysed.... Naa plz
    We do have to agree to disagree.

I agree that XML is not a programming language. It is a markup language (like the acronym says). I was just saying it's possible to program without using a programming language. For example, it's possible to program machines physically with levers as well. Programming is basically telling the machine to do something, and using a programming language is only one of the ways. Describing what you want the end result to be (eg. using XML or HTML) is IMHO another way to program.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.