Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Further Mathematics with A at GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    I have finished C1 and I'm nearly finishing C2. I've been studying Fp1 and so far it's okay. Right now I would get a B in a past paper because I left the questions which I learnt... So an A is realistic...

Which chapters of FP1 have you completed so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    Well then, if you don't get that, you won't be allowed onto the course. I suggest discussing what constitutes a "high A grade" with your school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I got around 75ish% and judging with the harshest grade boundaries, my teachers say that would be a high A grade....

It's just a matter if I should read into the material to safe the struggle at the beginning of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaptainCliff)
    Which chapters of FP1 have you completed so far?
    Complex numbers, numerical solutions to equations,proof and matrices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    Well, I got around 75ish% and judging with the harshest grade boundaries, my teachers say that would be a high A grade....

It's just a matter if I should read into the material to safe the struggle at the beginning of the year.
    You should make that clearer, as in your OP you were asking about whether or not you would be eligible to take FM.

Do whatever you want to, just remember that at the end of the year everyone will be at the same level as you so if you are as good as you say, I don't really see the point in self studying. Just my 0.02¢.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    You should make that clearer, as in your OP you were asking about whether or not you would be eligible to take FM.

Do whatever you want to, just remember that at the end of the year everyone will be at the same level as you so if you are as good as you say, I don't really see the point in self studying. Just my 0.02¢.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure, I'm just saying that's there's a strong correlation between the people who started studying early and the ones who did very well. But yeah, you basically answered my question. I also wanted to know whether it would be good to get familiar wither the concepts before the year begins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    Sure, I'm just saying that's there's a strong correlation between the people who started studying early and the ones who did very well. But yeah, you basically answered my question. I also wanted to know whether it would be good to get familiar wither the concepts before the year begins.

You've already done half of FP1, so I assume you started before your last GCSE Maths exam. That's a head start that could even dampen your ability in the FP1 exam in June.

As far as your original question goes, ask your school if you can do FM before you finish the FM and Maths course entirely. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't let you do it if you can get a B in FP1 and an A in C1 right now.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I am in the same boat as u. I also picked FM but I think I got bout 158-163 marks. If you got a really high A (150+) then you should be fine on FM, plus if u think u could ahieve an A*. I 2 mess up on the first paper, and regret it. I was very upset about it, since every1 around me expect me 2 get A*, however if u r doin math 4 a level then gcse grade dont really matter much.
    Another thing is u should just do math instead of further
    math. Because further math is a hard a-level. If I were u I will focus on math a level

ReputationRep:
    I did A2 FM with only an A at GCSE and I got a high A at AS and I'm hoping for an A* at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshends123)
    Lol I am in the same boat as u. I also picked FM but I think I got bout 158-163 marks. If you got a really high A (150+) then you should be fine on FM, plus if u think u could ahieve an A*. I 2 mess up on the first paper, and regret it. I was very upset about it, since every1 around me expect me 2 get A*, however if u r doin math 4 a level then gcse grade dont really matter much.
    Another thing is u should just do math instead of further
    math. Because further math is a hard a-level. If I were u I will focus on math a level
    I see, however, I enjoy studying mathematics and the top Unis see FM as an essential A level for engineering courses. So far fp1 is alright. I know it's hard so I'm starting early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    So I recently finished my GCSE exams and I think my maths didn't go too well (which I'm totally upset about )
    I chose Maths,further maths,physics,chemistry and electronics at AS and I was wondering where I would be eligible to studyfurther maths as I was recommended to choose it next year.
    If your maths ability is not represented well by that exam then I wouldn't worry. However if you have struggled with GCSE maths, you are likely to struggle with FM at A level so I would be aware of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    If your maths ability is not represented well by that exam then I wouldn't worry. However if you have struggled with GCSE maths, you are likely to struggle with FM at A level so I would be aware of that.
    I understand, I dont struggle with it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    I see, however, I enjoy studying mathematics and the top Unis see FM as an essential A level for engineering courses. So far fp1 is alright. I know it's hard so I'm starting early.
    Thats ok then, however u might got an A* anyway on the exam. Whos know, maybe u done better than u think. I know cause I check on Mr M mark scheme, but I might still gain mark on some question even if I done it wrong. Anyway gd luck on ur A level and hopfully u will get an A* in math

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    I understand, I dont struggle with it at all.
    You should be okay then. Generally speaking this is how people find the modules.

C1-C2: Generally okay for anyone that got at least a B in GCSE.
    C3-C4: Slightly harder than the above, but most people are fine with them.
    M1-M2: Don't take this if you are not confident in mechanics, some people find this very difficult. If you are A* at GCSE it should be fine.
    S1-S2: Much easier than the above. Fine for those that gained a B in GCSE.
    D1-D2: Easiest modules, weaker candidates are often entered for these, however its rare to do very well due to high boundaries.
    FP1: Aimed at those who are comfortably at A* level at GCSE, some difficult concepts.
    FP2-FP3: Arguably the hardest modules in A level, even A* level students find these difficult.
    M3-M5: Stay clear of these unless you are both good at, and enjoy mechanics.
    S3-S4: Similar but for those that enjoy stats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    OP needs to be aware that I think it is normal to struggle with Further Maths that doesn't mean that they will do badly in it because Further Maths is a tough A-Level if they struggle and put effort in to succeed then they can do well.I got a High A* at GCSE and found AS Maths a breeze and AS Further Maths extremely difficult I was thinking of dropping it at first but I worked hard and I think I have done well in all the modules.If OP is getting As for C1 papers from self study then OP is very good at Maths maybe the maths exam was a bad day or probably most likely from what I have read that it was a hard exam and the grade boundaries will go down and OP gets the A* they deserve.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.