Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ladies and gents...what is your opinion on men who date... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    what do you mean?
    just curious about things like this, then I pretty much google searched everything and wasn't curious anymore :P

ReputationRep:
    Just because they were born a man, it doesn't mean they still are

So I don't see the problem

Why deny your feelings (you fell for them enough to date) just based on what someone used to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    Just because they were born a man, it doesn't mean they still are

So I don't see the problem

Why deny your feelings (you fell for them enough to date) just based on what someone used to be?
    Just because I was born human, doesn't mean I still am. I'm a lion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackshadow)
    Just because I was born human, doesn't mean I still am. I'm a lion.
    terrible analogy but whatever

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't, it's their business; I wouldn't date someone who had trans surgery to become a man - you're still genetically the gender you were born with, therefore you're still the same gender... having a synthetic penis or pair of breasts doesn't change your gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeyJB)
    I personally wouldn't, it's their business; I wouldn't date someone who had trans surgery to become a man - you're still genetically the gender you were born with, therefore you're still the same gender... having a synthetic penis or pair of breasts doesn't change your gender.
    I don't think it is quite as clear cut as that, I don't do gender studies but I've spoken to people on here who do and it seems it is more than what genitals you are born with. For example, what gender is someone born with both? Are they not allowed to identify as a male or a female only because they were born with both?

But I know where you are coming from all the same.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what other people do.

I don't understand transgender people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is quite as clear cut as that, I don't do gender studies but I've spoken to people on here who do and it seems it is more than what genitals you are born with. For example, what gender is someone born with both? Are they not allowed to identify as a male or a female only because they were born with both?

But I know where you are coming from all the same.
    I'm saying that it doesn't matter if you have your genitalia changed and start acting more feminine/masculine, your chromosomal makeup is what defines your gender and it remains the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying that it doesn't matter if you have your genitalia changed and start acting more feminine/masculine, your chromosomal makeup is what defines your gender and it remains the same.
    By I am saying it isn't as clear cut as that. You talk about chromosomes, so is a male with Klinefelter syndrome partially female because they have XX sex chromosomes as well as XY chromosomes? (XXY sex chromosomes)

I also note use of the term 'acting more'. It isn't an act. People who suffer from gender dysphoria believe they are mentally, the opposite sex, so gender identity is clearly more than just which chromosomes you have...just because a biology book say XX=female XY=male doesn't make it an inflexible fact, sure for the purpose of anything else, but when it comes down to the psychology of it all then like I said, it isn't as clear cut as XX and XY.

Also, there is likey some genetic factors which play a part, for example you will have transgenders who have never had any hormone therapy but yet will have feminine features, eg smaller skeletal make up, less muscle mass, softer voice, yet they still have XY chromosomes.

ReputationRep:
    By I am saying it isn't as clear cut as that. You talk about chromosomes, so is a male with Klinefelter syndrome partially female because they have XX sex chromosomes as well as XY chromosomes? (XXY sex chromosomes)

I also note use of the term 'acting more'. It isn't an act. People who suffer from gender dysphoria believe they are mentally, the opposite sex, so gender identity is clearly more than just which chromosomes you have...just because a biology book say XX=female XY=male doesn't make it an inflexible fact, sure for the purpose of anything else, but when it comes down to the psychology of it all then like I said, it isn't as clear cut as XX and XY.

Also, there is likey some genetic factors which play a part, for example you will have transgenders who have never had any hormone therapy but yet will have feminine features, eg smaller skeletal make up, less muscle mass, softer voice, yet they still have XY chromosomes.
    I'm not talking about people with genetic disorders, though, I am simply saying that, assuming that a person is either XX or XY, a person cannot actually change his or her gender by having a bit of surgery... your genetically still a male, or still a female.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about people with genetic disorders, though, I am simply saying that, assuming that a person is either XX or XY, a person cannot actually change his or her gender by having a bit of surgery... your genetically still a male, or still a female.
    How do you know that gender dysphoria isn't a genetic disorder?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.