Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    That's what I thought!

Do you not get personalised timetables that show you exactly which one you have to attend?
    I am going to join KCL in this September so I am not too sure. But I have heard from current students that they get personalized timetables.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universal_set)
    I am going to join KCL in this September so I am not too sure. But I have heard from current students that they get personalized timetables.
    I've just noticed one module is called "Numbers and fun" - sounds like my kind of module!

Spoiler:
    Show
    I hope it doesn't mean functions

ReputationRep:
    I go to Newcastle for maths, and the timetable is similar to the one posted here already.
    On the League Table I am looking at Kings is actually a couple of places lower than Newcastle so that is not surprising and the workload can also be judged by how much homework and how hard it is because if it is hard it takes you a lot longer to do.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I've just noticed one module is called "Numbers and fun" - sounds like my kind of module!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Functions are awesome!

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

It is about proof writing (analysis) & covers topics such as functions, series, sequence (Cauchy), convergence etc

I think number theory is 2nd or 3rd year module.

P.S. I like functions
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    On the League Table I am looking at Kings is actually a couple of places lower than Newcastle so that is not surprising and the workload can also be judged by how much homework and how hard it is because if it is hard it takes you a lot longer to do.
    I don't really pay attention to league tables.

First years at Newcastle have two types of homeworks: CBAs (computer-based-assessments), and handwritten problems.

The CBAs are straightforward and follow on directly from lecture notes/examples, but they can take some time to do. You have one week to practise them (solutions are given after you submit an answer), and one week to to do the 'exam'/real mode.

Problems are more challenging, and can take anywhere from 2 weeks (in my case with some statistics modules!), to 1 hour to complete them.

(Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Functions are awesome!
    Fun with Functions (like Fun with Flags - Sheldon Cooper).

It is about proof writing (analysis) & covers topics such as functions, series, sequence (Cauchy), convergence etc

P.S. I like functions
    I really don't like the sound of it anymore!!

I like the hyperbolic functions because there is a nice way to express them in terms of e.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

P.S. I like functions
    That sounds quite a lot like my Analytical and Computational Foundations module this year!
    TBBT is just awesome! Shame he doesn't do Maths instead!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    TBBT is just awesome! Shame he doesn't do Maths instead!
    I love it, but I'm sad there's no mathematicians on the show.
    Have you seen the episode with the geology book? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrTzNHSKtE funniest scene tbh

ReputationRep:
    I don't really pay attention to league tables.

First years at Newcastle have two types of homeworks: CBAs (computer-based-assessments), and handwritten problems.

The CBAs are straightforward and follow on directly from lecture notes/examples, but they can take some time to do. You have one week to practise them (solutions are given after you submit an answer), and one week to to do the 'exam'/real mode.

Problems are more challenging, and can take anywhere from 2 weeks (in my case with some statistics modules!), to 1 hour to complete them.

I like the hyperbolic functions because there is a nice way to express them in terms of e.
    Are the computer based assessments multiple choice?because its hard to work things out on a computer screen unless you just submit the answer I like working with paper.When you say two weeks how many hours did you take across them two weeks? and you must have had a lot of patience because I would have thought by that time you would have queried your lecturer about it.So how much homework did you have to do per week?and did you have to do much reading?how much is assessed by coursework?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Are the computer based assessments multiple choice?because its hard to work things out on a computer screen unless you just submit the answer I like working with paper.When you say two weeks how many hours did you take across them two weeks? and you must have had a lot of patience because I would have thought by that time you would have queried your lecturer about it.So how much homework did you have to do per week?and did you have to do much reading?how much is assessed by coursework?
    Some questions are multiple choice, but most of them you just put your answer in. So you do your working out on paper, but you only put the final answer in the computer and it marks it automatically for you.

Probably like 5 hours a week I attempted it. I went to the drop in class and got help there though, but that wasn't until the second week.

We had quite a lot of homework tbh. In a three week period, we had 6 CBAs to do and 6 problem sheet/assignments to hand in. That's not a bad thing though - you only get good at maths by practising!

I didn't do much reading tbh, the lecturers notes are more helpful because the books can get too complicated sometimes. I did read through some of the recommended books I bought, but I don't think they helped me that much.

For most first year modules, it is 80% exam 20% assignment (with 10% CBAs 10% exam)
    For one module, it is 60% exam 40% coursework (but you have to get 35% on the exam to pass the module)
    For one module it is 70% exam and then I think it was 5% project 5% presentations 10% cba 10% assigment?

The marks you get for coursework are subject to be adjusted, kinda like how a level exams are with UMS.

Have you been to an open day at the university/have you visited the maths department before?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I love it, but I'm sad there's no mathematicians on the show.
    Have you seen the episode with the geology book? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrTzNHSKtE funniest scene tbh
    I agree and that was a good episode! Love that show! Plus How I met your mother, but that's sadly ending on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    On the League Table I am looking at Kings is actually a couple of places lower than Newcastle so that is not surprising
    tut tut....

Same ranking table places Heriot Watt at 12 & Exeter at 15.

ReputationRep:

Most of the universities teach such type of analytical proof writing modules in first year (first semester) so that a student can get familiarity with the ideas and methods of university level pure mathematics. Therefore, this type of module aims to show the need for proofs, to encourage logical arguments and to convey the power of abstract methods. So don't confuse it with number theory or other subject. And don't expect that KCL teaches number theory in first year. I am sure that even Oxford or Cambridge doesn't teach such an intense subject in first months (number theory etc).

I like probability functions (both discrete and continuous)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Most of the universities teach such type of analytical proof writing modules in first year (first semester) so that a student can get familiarity with the ideas and methods of university level pure mathematics. Therefore, this type of module aims to show the need for proofs, to encourage logical arguments and to convey the power of abstract methods. So don't confuse it with number theory or other subject. And don't expect that KCL teaches number theory in first year. I am sure that even Oxford or Cambridge doesn't teach such an intense subject in first months (number theory etc).

I like probability functions (both discrete and continuous)
    We did do some work on number theory though (I think?). We did about modular arithmetic, Euclidian algorithm, and some work on real and irrational numbers.

Probability functions like the distributions? Normal, binomial, etc?

ReputationRep:
    We did do some work on number theory though (I think?). We did about modular arithmetic, Euclidian algorithm, and some work on real and irrational numbers.

Probability functions like the distributions? Normal, binomial, etc?
    Ohhh...these elementary topics are in introduction to abstract algebra (first year) including groups, rings etc, and some topics are in linear methods (first year) concepts of rational, irrational, complex numbers are also introduced in calculus 1.

Density function (Lebesgue integrable), mass function.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.